1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The possibilities of the 4runner post LC250 USA release?

Discussion in '6th Gen 4Runners (2025+)' started by Trekker, Aug 6, 2023.

1. Aug 6, 2023 at 4:24 PM
    Trekker

Trekker [OP] Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    The new LC250 starts around the current 4runners max price. So with the generational price bump that always happens, a 6th gen 4runner would have a sizable overlap in price.

There are 2 paths I now see Toyota taking with the 6th gen. The cheap max approach or the pricey minimal approach.

The cheap max approach keeps the 4runner at its current size, and doesn't cut anything like comfort. But since the current size is still pretty close to the new LC250, the only way to differentiate it will be to base it off the new Tacoma which is made in Mexico. Mexican made Toyotas aren't as quality as the Taharah plant ones. It will also have the roid-rage over styled look of the Tacoma, rather than the simple design of the LC250.

Then there is the pricey minimal approach. This is what the 4runner has always used, either being based on the Hilux or Prado, which is a more robust platform. But if it's made in Japan, it will cost more, so it will either have to be less well optioned or just cost more.

After seeing the new LC250, I can only see the cheap max approach. If Toyota isn't willing to significantly change the dimensions or target market, there will be very little to separate the 6th gen 4runner from the new LC250. Toyota either has to cut the price by building it cheaper, or change the market segment by making radical departures from the 5th gen.

Also every one of these vehicles is using the TNGA-F, doesn't seem likely Toyota will make a smaller version just for the 4runner.

Just curious what you all think? Do you thing the next 4runner will become the US equivalent to the Fortuner? Where it's just the same size vehicle only cheaper.

2. Aug 6, 2023 at 7:57 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    The 6th gen will be an evolution of the 5th gen. It won't be any simpler than it is now, but won't have a bunch of expensive luxury features either.

I think its size will stay pretty close to what it is now. The TNGA-F platform won't dictate how big or small it will be. They use this same frame on full size Tundras. For the 4Runner, LC, and Tacoma, they just cut it down to the appropriate width and length.

It very well could be made in Mexico alongside the Tacoma as a cost-saving effort by Toyota.

It will probably start somewhere in the $40's, which makes it the entry level BOF off-roader in Toyota's lineup (just like it is now). The new LC will be mid-range and the GX will be the luxury option.

GFORCE and Thatbassguy like this.
  3. Aug 6, 2023 at 8:05 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    What about the approach where it stays about the same size, or, maybe gets a tad smaller?

We already know it is going to share some features with the Tacoma. The logical thing would be for it to share a lot of parts, IE suspension, etc with the Tacoma as well.

We also know that it's going to be built on the TNGA-F platform, which every Toyota BOF vehicle will soon be based on.

gomiami and nimby like this.
  4. Aug 6, 2023 at 8:19 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I personally don't think it'll get smaller, but you never know.

I'm sure it'll share a lot of things with the Tacoma.......and the LC for that matter.

The 6th gen and the Tacoma will both share the 2.4T and all three will share the 2.4T iForce Max.

GFORCE and Thatbassguy like this.
  5. Aug 6, 2023 at 8:23 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    It just seems too close to the size of the Land Cruiser now. The wheelbase is only 3 inches different.

Of course, if they kept the wheelbase at 109", but gave it shorter overhangs, that might be cool.

nimby[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 6, 2023 at 8:37 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I don't think they need to be different sizes. I think they are both appropriately sized for a midsize in the US market and can both exist.

If they both end up similarly sized (which I think they will), the differences in pricing, features, and styling become the main selling points to the consumer.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 7, 2023 at 9:40 AM
    Trekker

Trekker [OP] Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    The problem is the lc250 is too expensive to be be Toyota’s entry in that segment. But it’s too cheap to have the 4runner be anything other than the less expensive option.

The 4runner has to be the same size because the LC250 starting price is too high to be their entry vehicle in the segment.

I feels like this catch 22 means the 6th gen 4runner will be our version of the Fortuner, a vehicle you buy because you cant afford the Prado. At that point why make it in Japan if it’s supposed to be entry level?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  8. Aug 7, 2023 at 9:46 AM
    HotelMedicis

HotelMedicis No Commercial Interests

Member:
    Since the 4Runner is only sold in a few countries in North, South and Central America it would make sense for it to be built in Texas or Mexico now that it will share the same platform as the Tacoma and Tundra.

Time will tell regarding what it looks like.

9. Aug 7, 2023 at 11:12 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Why couldn't the 4Runner be slightly smaller, like it was in the '90s and early 2000s? You don't think people would run out and buy a slightly smaller 4Runner with a manual transmission option?

I'm not talking about turning it into a compact. I'm talking about making it the size it was up until 2002.

And, why does there need to be an entry level vehicle in the mid-size body on frame SUV segment?

MeefZah likes this.
  10. Aug 7, 2023 at 12:43 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    LC250 is expensive partly because it's hybrid-only, partly because Toyota is profiting from the Land Cruiser name (same way Ford profits from the Bronco).

But you're right, there's no reason to build the next 4R in Japan. Mexico is quite likely. Hypothetically, Toyota can go even cheaper and build it Thailand (where the Hilux and Fortuner are built), but Toyota PR says they prefer to build vehicles closer to their customers' country.

11. Aug 7, 2023 at 12:58 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    If it was built in Canada like my Corolla I would consider buying one.

12. Aug 7, 2023 at 1:10 PM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    I got my 'Runner, low miles (less than I have), so I'm happy!

13. Aug 7, 2023 at 1:39 PM
    San Angelo

San Angelo New Member

Member:
    The new 4Runner is going to be a new SUV based on the new Tacoma built in Mexico that they slap the 4Runner badge on. My opinion is that the new Land Cruiser was supposed to be the 4runner but the cost is to high so they rebadged it as Land Cruiser and the new Tacoma based SUV will have a 4Runner badge slapped on it.

One of the rumors is that the Bronco sales scared Toyota so they had to rethink the 4Runner at the last minute and force them to come up with a new SUV model. The good news is it can now possibly have the option of a removable hard top and return it to what the first gen 4Runner was . The first gen was a SUV that was based on the Toyota Pickup with a removable rear cap. So maybe we will get a “retro 4Runner”.

ecoterragaia likes this.
  14. Aug 7, 2023 at 1:48 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Given that the 4Runner, J150 Prado and GX460 all shared a 109" wheelbase in the pre-2024 versions, and both the Prado and the GX have moved to 112" wheelbase, my guess is the 4Runner will do the same.

They all share IFS, rear-end and 4x4 gear, the main differences currently is powertrain (engine/trans), body and interior design and features. Imagine that will continue. The odd part is where do the 4Runner trim levels fall with the Land Cruiser starting mid $50k.

The SR5, TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road and Limited probably stick around, but the TRD Pro? At current $54k, why?

More to the point - if the LC in the US has basically the same 4wd capabilities as the current TRD Off-Road Premium and TRD Pro, but with a swaybar disconnect and the new hybrid powertrain...what's the value prop to buying a Land Cruiser at all? Gee, an extra $15k for a sway bar disconnect and a hybrid motor? I mean, this has always been the thing with the GX - it's a V8 4Runner with less useful body work in the front and more expensive interior treatment. When I looked at the GX460 I had to ask, could I live with that ground dragging nose just so I can get a V8 and fancy interior and a barn-door in back? No, the 4Runner was a far more practical decision.

So, I'm waiting to see how they define the 4Runner trim levels.

Do they downgrade the capabilities of the 4Runner offroad models to push people into the higher price bracket of the LC?
    Or, do they keep the current capabilities of the TRD ORP and TRD Pro, but only with the base turbo 4 cyl. You want more power, step up to LC or GX. You want the swaybar disconnect, LC or GX.

What I would love is a stripped down 4Runner that had all the offroad stuff we need, and that's it. $40k. Done. Unfortunately, Toyota has decided that's the 1958 model LC, at $55k. Blah. A $12k bump over my TRDORP, with, imho, a nicely upgraded exterior and interior design, with low-rent interior materials, and an upgraded powertrain. Would I buy that? F*** no. The math does not add up. I'll be keeping my 5th Gen.

And that, I think, is going to be Toyota's problem - what's the value prop between the 4Runner and the LC.

15. Aug 7, 2023 at 1:56 PM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    It will be a hard top tacoma like it always is. The engine will be a 4 cylinder turbo.

GFORCE likes this.
  16. Aug 7, 2023 at 2:20 PM
    djb1

djb1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    SLC, UT
  17. Aug 7, 2023 at 2:46 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
  18. Aug 7, 2023 at 3:46 PM
    Naville

Naville New Member

Member:
    All the 250 reveal did was light a fire underneath Gen 5 4Runner sales, especially the TRD ORP and TRP Pro. People are realizing that prices are headed significantly higher for the same capability level. The 250 is not superior to a 4Runner it is an equal. If a base model, stripped 250 will quickly swell to 62K from 55K with options and goodies, not to speak of ADMs, the value of upper trim Gen 5 runners will soar. They are destined to become collector's items. "Get the Gen 5s now before it is too late!" That's not me saying that, its the word that Toyota corporate has sent out to its own employees! Get it now. The youtuber Untamed got his SO TRD Pro. People in the know are going Pro. When you wake up one morning and a 250 mid trim is $70-$75K with an untested powertrain, and there are no more Gen 5s, you will regret not getting one. I am scrambling to find one.

19. Aug 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM
    Lc200

Lc200 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Facelift SR5P
    The LC is generally built to a higher quality than a 4Runner. Same goes for the Prado/ Lc250. My experience comes from my current owner ship of the 4r and prior extensive ownership of the LC200 and travelling in the Prado.

On a different point, if they do bring it, Toyota would essentially have three very similar mid sized SUV ranging from 40 to over 80.
    That's a little something for everyone or a little too much for everyone.
    They will overlap, cannibalise and make prospective buyers think hard before signing

GFORCE likes this.
  20. Aug 7, 2023 at 6:54 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    The 4Runner hasn't been a hardtop Tacoma in a long time.

21. Aug 7, 2023 at 7:58 PM
    2016Pro

Member:
    The current 4runner is a 2nd gen Tacoma hardtop

GFORCE and djb1 like this.
  22. Aug 7, 2023 at 8:17 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Are you sure about that? Every source I can find says the 2nd gen 4Runner was the last built on the hilux chassis, and everything 3rd gen on has been based on the Prado, which is not a Hilux based vehicle.

Again, I could be reading the wrong sources and getting bad info. Then again, does any of this really matter.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  23. Aug 8, 2023 at 2:47 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Oh, sure.

It's just a second gen Tacoma with a different rear suspension, rear axle, headlights, grille, frame, seats, dashboard, interior, exterior, different version of the 1GR, etc, etc.

But, yeah, they share a few parts, so it's the exact same vehicle. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
  24. Aug 8, 2023 at 3:14 AM
    HotelMedicis

HotelMedicis No Commercial Interests

Member:
    You are correct. The current Prado, 4Runner and GX all share the same frame / platform.

Toyota spokesman Bill Kwong stated this fact in a 2010 article (5th paragraph) which you can read here.

The 4Runner has nothing to do with the Tacoma.

25. Aug 8, 2023 at 7:34 AM
    Naville

Naville New Member

Member:
    I hate to break it to you but what we have just seen revealed is the 4Runner 250. Toyota is craftily going for a 10-20K price increase on the 4Runner by calling it a Land Cruiser. Don’t be fooled. It’s the “You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay” routine all over again. That is why people are rushing to buy the Gen 5, to save $10-20K Do it.

The 4Runner, Prado. GX and LC are all made to the same quality standards at the same factory in Japan. Let’s put that pup to bed right now.

nonuniform likes this.
  26. Aug 8, 2023 at 7:36 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

I will believe that one Toyota announces it, lol.

You really think they're going to throw away that many sales?

nimby likes this.
  27. Aug 8, 2023 at 7:38 AM
    2016Pro

Member:
    Lol there will be a 4runner cmon man

GFORCE, nimby and Thatbassguy like this.
  28. Aug 8, 2023 at 7:43 AM
    Naville

Naville New Member

Member:
    No, Toyota will also reveal a new 4Runner. They will all basically be the same car, made in the same factory, to the same quality standards, with slightly different dressing. It's very clever commercial strategy. Nothing wrong with it. But if you want to save some money and still keep a great car for a zillion miles, buy the Gen 5 4Runner.

29. Aug 8, 2023 at 7:45 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

So, now you say they are going to Make a 4Runner, that is the same thing as the new Land Cruiser, and charge as much as they are for the new Land Cruiser?

:thumbsup:

30. Aug 8, 2023 at 7:47 AM
    2016Pro

Member:
To Top