1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Ghost - terrorizing our 4Runner for the past year

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by ngremion, Oct 15, 2024 at 2:38 PM.

1. Oct 15, 2024 at 2:38 PM
    ngremion

ngremion [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nicolas
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner AWD SR5
    Hey folks, new here...thanks for having me :)

I won't lie...I probably won't be of much use, as I am not that handy beyond very basic car mechanics :anonymous:, but hopefully someone out there can still help me

So, as the title suggest, for the past year, a "ghost" :spy: has plagued our 2000 4Runner. Let me explain a little more...

Whenever we drive for 3+ hours (and we live in Costa Rica, so it's hot), if we turn off the car, then before it can cool completely, we turn it back on, it won't accelerate. It will turn on just fine, go a few (sometimes hundred), meters then, for all I press on the gas, no more gas is going to the engine.

It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but pretty close to: a good 80% of the time, we know that if we go on a longer trip, and stop (say to fill up with gas, or the cooler with beer) and turn off the car, the ghost is likely to strike.

To "kill" the ghost, I usually turn the car off. Wait a minute or 2, then turn it back on. Sometimes it starts going again without further issue right away. Sometimes I have to repeat the process a few times. But eventually we're always back on our way (never been stranded). However, i'd like to be ghost-free if possible of course.

I had the throttle replaced some time back (with a used one). We've had the injectors cleaned or replaced if needed. Regular maintenance.

It's hard for my local mechanic to troubleshoot, as I would have to take him on a long road trip for him to actually see the issue (and I'm not ready for that kind of commitment just yet ;-)

If anyone has any ideas, please share. I had a video, but of course, when I go to post this I can no longer find it o_O

Thank you in advance!

Products Discussed in

To Top