1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tesla owners?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by hossler1788, Jul 11, 2024.

1. Jul 11, 2024 at 5:50 PM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 [OP] Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    Is there any tesla owners on here? My wife got a model 3 long range as a loaner/rental. I drove it for a week now and kinda like it.

What model are you driving and whats your opinion on it?

NeverTooLate71 and Bob like this.
  2. Jul 11, 2024 at 6:00 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Have a 3 and Y in the family. They're great, especially if you can charge at home (apt or house). Always wake up with a full tank so to speak.

3. Jul 11, 2024 at 6:24 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    I wanted to go the full EV route for my commuter and looked at Tesla but just couldn't get over their quality issues. When I see a $150k Model S Plaid with body panel gaps, rattles, trim not attached, etc., I can only wonder what quality control they put into the base Model 3.

Then the new Prius came out and it resembles a Model 3. I'll start looking at the Prius Prime and the possible Venza Prime next year. They would hold enough charge for my daily commute to work and back home and not be restricted to full EV if taken on long road trips.

4. Jul 11, 2024 at 9:02 PM
    NeverTooLate71

NeverTooLate71 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner SR5
    My wife ordered a 2018 Tesla Model 3 long range new and took delivery October 2018. This is her vehicle, that she drives to work (part time) 60 miles round trip. Aside from a flat tire, 2 broken windshields, an A/C filter change out and refresh....no other service needed. OK, 1 set of tires. Other than that it has driven flawlessly. We recharge at home off our solar panels (Tesla Panels). There are constant updates for new features and fixes when needed. It's like getting a new car every couple of months. I have to tell you, if something can be broken, dented, chipped or otherwise, my wife will do so. She hasn't busted her Tesla yet! We got the Premium Interior and sound system, I can hear her rocking out before she turns into the driveway at home. She's happy....I'm happy. I put a reservation deposit on the Tesla Cybertruck but am going to pass. It's too much of a beast. I might see if my son wants to take my reservation spot.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  5. Jul 11, 2024 at 9:05 PM
    NeverTooLate71

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner SR5
    Buy a Tesla. You won't be sorry. Model Y prices are dirt cheap new and financing via Tesla is great. 6 year Tesla Model 3 owner.

6. Jul 11, 2024 at 9:25 PM
    icebear

icebear Recovered Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Not an owner but their "move fast and break things" attitude, lack of parts availability/serviceability + insurance implications, overstated range, sketchy customer service* and subpar design decisions** aren't up my alley.

* refusing to put stuff in writing, the Diversion team
    ** hidden manual door releases, other issues culminating in the Cybertruck - "I love the truck but..."

That said, make sure to get insurance quotes, I hear prices are indeed good (assuming they don't get monkeyed with any more) and at least you get to skip the dealer. If you like the ride, control scheme, try all the features, you could certainly do worse. Superchargers are still the way to go for an EV road trip but wasn't the whole team canned?

My friend's mom with a 3 complained about tire costs but I have no idea if that was just what she was getting or inherent to the specced size.

steelevo likes this.
  7. Jul 11, 2024 at 9:47 PM
    NeverTooLate71

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner SR5
    Sorry, none of that has been an issue for us. As far as friends mom....unfortunately sometimes females with out additional help get taken for a ride when it comes to auto repairs. Costco is a good source for tires
    We got ours thru Tesla service center.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  8. Jul 12, 2024 at 4:20 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    We like our Rav4 prime, it gets about 50 miles per charge, which is more than enough for my wife’s daily.

steelevo and icebear like this.
  9. Jul 12, 2024 at 4:44 AM
    broken-giver

broken-giver BFD

Member:
    MYP.
    Can’t get over how quick this vehicle is. Still puts a smile after 2 years of ownership when I accelerate.
    Build quality is not good. Doors feel like they’d fall. Everything is controlled by screen, which isn’t what I prefer.

not my car but wife really wanted one so we bought it. I like well made things that may not have all the latest gizmos and gadgets. Guess which car I like more ;)

steelevo and NeverTooLate71 like this.
  10. Jul 12, 2024 at 5:16 AM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 [OP] Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    We are going to start looking at them. I'd like to get a slightly used 2023 3 model performance or long range. Seems like they are the best bang for the buck.

Spare Parts likes this.
  11. Jul 12, 2024 at 6:29 AM
    PhillySilver

PhillySilver New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2020 ORP
    I have a Model 3 long-range as my commuter. It is a 2022 and has about 30K miles on it. I can honestly say that, for what it is, it might be the best car I have ever owned. No issues whatsoever so far. I get free charging at work so that really helps with the value proposition for me. I know a lot of people comment about the QC issues but I have to say I don't see it. Is it a Roles Royce with it's fitment and stuff like that, nope, not by a long shot but I find it on par with other cars. There is no emissions inspections and very few moving parts so that cuts down on the maintenance costs. I don't use the Tesla supercharger network much but when I do it has been great and super reliable. Would I have it as my sole vehicle where long trips were involved - I don't think I would. Of Musk, I think he is something of an unhinged maniac in general but he has figured the electric car thing. I resisted for a long time but, in retrospect, I should have jumped in sooner.

MikeinCC and Spare Parts like this.
  12. Jul 12, 2024 at 6:33 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    (Not a owner but drive all my friends cars including Teslas and Rivian R1S)

Model S feels flimsy/ fragile. Never felt comfortable driving in don't care mode like the 4runner. Especially my wife don't slowdown/ care for driveway curb / potholes/ speed bumps. I often see curb marks on the tires. Excitement is only at slower speeds acceleration. At speeds it was boring.

Model 3 is the cheapest feeling car I've ever experienced.

Rivian R1S was by far a better vehicle than Tesla. Much better quality feeling. You can have the same don't care driving attitude in Rivian as well. Acceleration was more fun than Tesla Model S probably due to sitting higher. Sitting higher reminds me about winter driving. Tesla clearance seems pathetic. R1S is by far practical. If I'm not mistaken Rivian can use Tesla supercharging as well with converter but never experienced charging in one personally and I was only driving/ having fun.

But personally I would not buy a Rivian as well, at this point I like driving the 4runner without planning. All I think is where I should go. When it's time to refill just search a gas station and pump. No we are not a family who eat at restaurants (so vehicle can be charged until we eat). We are a family who buy food and stop at a forest road or a park to eat. We don't plan either. The only thing goes in to the GPS is the destination. Food and rests are unplanned, anything we see along the way. On daily use I also feel comfortable if any accident happens any body shop can take care of it and can be fixed quickly. Also in back of my mind I think 4runner is by far cheap to buy so I have plenty money left to pump gas. (I think my buddy's R1S is around 90K before tax last year).

Edit -
    Just remembered the Model 3 got the "computer" replaced twice and now it seems to be working without a problem.

I also got a friend who (his wife) own a BMW EV sedan. It looks million times better than a Tesla. Haven't had driving time to say how it feels to drive or how the interior quality feels.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024
    Daddykool and icebear like this.
  13. Jul 12, 2024 at 9:20 AM
    NeverTooLate71

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner SR5
    Try going to the Tesla site and price out a new Model Y. The site also shows used Tesla Model 3's for sale in house. If you are a large body like I am or have kids, consider a Model Y. "Our" Model 3 is my wife's vehicle. I get to drive it
    taking it in and out of the garage and washing it. Taking our first mini road trip today in my new 4Runner.

14. Jul 12, 2024 at 9:23 AM
    NeverTooLate71

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner SR5
    Check the Tesla site for in house used Model 3's. While there, check out prices on a new Model Y or new Model 3. Tesla has great financing rates.

15. Jul 12, 2024 at 11:35 AM
    icebear

icebear Recovered Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    For my family and I, mid-2010's Hyundai and Kia vehicles have been fine (mostly). But their questionable decisions, behaviors and customer experiences mean it's not a great bet for a quality, long-term vehicle. Even as they whack-a-mole problems, (hey the engines aren't seizing prematurely anymore!) the company that made those decisions still remains and it applies to Tesla too.

A company that chooses to:
    • hide manual door releases that one would need to be instructed to use in an emergency (if the 12v system is knocked out) in favor of a "gee whiz" button
    • launch a six-figure price vehicle with "Locking differential controls coming soon"
    • run all the electronics through a single big wire (single point of failure)
    • Lubricate the adhesive to attach accelerator pedal trim that could get stuck in the down position (yes it was fixed in a recall)
    • and then proceed to claim "depressing the brake may or may not disengage accelerator" but won't put it in writing so all we have is this guy's word
    • programs the frunk to close with more force if previously obstructed rather than back off like most any other system
    • etc.
    isn't really up my alley even if I magically knew the Model _ I would buy would mechanically be sound.

Granted, the Cybertruck is a big pile of subpar decisions that has come long after the other models were last redesigned, but it's not a good look for the entire lineup and how they engineer/manufacture vehicles.

And I know there are other problematic decisions like the Chevy Colorado's PM claiming the infotainment headlight controls had all possible bugs eliminated (not feasible, even for NASA) and I'm not giving them a pass either.

steelevo and 2Toys like this.
  16. Jul 12, 2024 at 11:44 AM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    Dang that's a solid option!

My wife recently got to drive a rented jeep and has been driving my 4Runner more. She now sees the benefits of being able to see over traffic.
    Has her thinking about ditching her 2021 Corolla in the next couple years... Eyes are set on a Lexus SUV but that Rav4 Prime looks/ sounds great.
    I may try to convince her to go that route.

Spare Parts[QUOTED] and icebear like this.
  17. Jul 12, 2024 at 12:01 PM
    MikeinCC

MikeinCC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4Runner SR5 4WD
    none
    I have two. 2022 Model 3 dual motor (long range) and a brand new (wife’s)2024 Model Y L/R. The M3 is a fleet vehicle which I put about 600 miles per week on and I absolutely love it. It’s never failed me (60K miles) and it’s a blast to drive. Costs me an extra $125/mo in electricity, so the ‘fuel’ savings are significant. My wife drives very little, so I’m not sure what impact it may have on my electric bill.

Charging at home and away is easy too. I paid an electrician to run some 220V into my garage but my electrical panel was on the garage outside wall, so easy-peasy. Mostly charge off-peak at home for 0.05 cents/kwh. I wouldn’t consider an EV if it couldn’t charge at a Tesla Supercharger because of the lack of reliable stations.

One downside to Teslas is they’re heavy and you do go through tires pretty quickly (26K to 30K miles). That said, there’s so much upside to owning one that was a no-brainer to get a 2nd one. If you’re thinking of getting one, got to a local Tesla store and ask to take one home overnight (yes, they do that).

icebear likes this.
  18. Jul 13, 2024 at 7:44 AM
    2ndGen22re

2ndGen22re Goldie, my 1st love & my new kid…

Member:
    First Name:
    CR
    Carson Valley, NV
    Vehicle:
    1990 22RE & 22 AG ORP KDSS
    One-at-this-price stripper. Bought new 34 yrs ago, a $13K leftover. Added Detroit TruTrac, 1”rear spring spacer and “pinstripes”… Factory AC kit and roof rack bought at dealer cost at time of purchase, still blows ice cold 32yrs later. 2022 AG ORP all stock.
    My engineer son was hired out of college to troubleshoot the robotics on the Fremont Assembly Line.
    He has some horror stories on assembly practices, primarily ‘bend and kick to fit’.
    And he also said the model X Falcon doors are a joke. He guaranteed they will leak sooner or later.
    He left for a job at Applied Materials R&D dept.
    BTW, he drives a 96 Limited 4R.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
    steelevo, 2Toys and icebear like this.
  19. Jul 13, 2024 at 7:48 AM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    The fact that a car company like Tesla can compete with the major auto makers. And is doing well you see them everyday now.

20. Jul 13, 2024 at 7:50 AM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I own a Tesla cassette tape.

21. Jul 13, 2024 at 8:02 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
  22. Jul 13, 2024 at 8:08 AM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Personally, I cant wait for a battery Camaro. Prob buy the first one I see.

23. Jul 13, 2024 at 3:22 PM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 [OP] Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    We had to give the tesla 3 back and I'm missing it.

I'm not looking for a vehicle to replace my 4runner. I have it until it's rust into the ground d or I die. I'm looking for a replacement for our 2017 outback. Just want to make that clear.

24. Jul 13, 2024 at 9:13 PM
    NeverTooLate71

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner SR5
    We got a little over 35,000 miles on the first set of tires for my wife's Tesla Model 3 LR set on "chill mode" which in my opinion still gives plenty of punch when needed.

MikeinCC[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Jul 13, 2024 at 9:48 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane

If I had the funds, the RX plug in looks to be an amazing option. The $70k+ price tag kills it as an option though.

1SilverRunner[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Jul 17, 2024 at 3:07 PM
    mrmike7189

mrmike7189 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 silver SR5 4x4
    Its amazes me how many people are still buying cars.?..never mind electric cars.
    Ford stopped making all cars except for the Mustang due to low sales.
    Tesla makes an ugly ass car that's electric...and everybody wants one!
    Not me, I like 4 runners and pickup trucks.
    I cannot tow with a Tesla, off road with a Tesla, carry loads of camping gear with a Tesla, drive in deep blinding snowstorms with a Tesla, drive through deep water with a Tesla.....:amen:

27. Jul 17, 2024 at 3:25 PM
    MikeinCC

MikeinCC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4Runner SR5 4WD
    none
    Sure you can, and for what it's worth the Model Y is the best selling car in the world.
    cybertruck-41.png

28. Jul 17, 2024 at 3:28 PM
    mrmike7189

mrmike7189 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 silver SR5 4x4
    That thing will short out and catch fire if you try to drive across a river ........:bananadead:

29. Jul 17, 2024 at 7:46 PM
    MikeinCC

MikeinCC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4Runner SR5 4WD
    none
  30. Jul 18, 2024 at 4:34 AM
    PhillySilver

PhillySilver New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2020 ORP
    While I realize this is a luxury not everyone has and all that but this is precisely why I have both. Both my 4Runner and my Model 3 are the best cars I have ever owned in their respective classes and for their purposes. I would never trade my 4Runner for a Model 3 and I would never trade my Model 3 for a 4Runner. Different cars with completely different use cases. I drive ~40 miles each way every day for work and get free charging at work. The awful mpg on the 4Runner would kill me and, frankly, it kinda sucks to drive in traffic. I camp, get out into the woods when I can, haul stuff, take long road trips with bike crap, etc. and for that use-case I can't think of a worse vehicle than a Model 3.

As to the look of the Tesla. I agree that it isn't a looker for sure. That said, if I can do an 80 mile commute in my own very reliable car for darn-near $0.00 I really don't care if it looks like a fresh dog-turd with wheels. YMMV though.

icebear likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top