1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tail Lights and changing reverse to turn signal light

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jkdog, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Mar 14, 2020 at 11:48 PM
    Jkdog

Jkdog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Off-Road Premier
    I’m looking to install the USR tail light module that makes your break light operate as a turn signal, and the turn signal as a reverse light. My question is: has anyone made the OEM reverse light into an amber turn signal?

2. Mar 15, 2020 at 5:59 AM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    If the reverse light on your '19 is LED, it might not be able to change from white to amber without some kind of electrical computer wizardry.

3. Mar 15, 2020 at 6:21 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    For why? Then you wouldn't have a reverse light at all and with the conversion you'd have a red and amber turn signal at the same time.

4. Mar 15, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    Jkdog

Jkdog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Off-Road Premier
    Sorry maybe I didn’t express what was happening. See this link: https://www.uniquestyleracings.com/...ota-4runner/usam-module-for-4runner-taillight

using this mod, the small OE reverse stays white but you can change it to LED. The mod converts the big turn signal into a big white reverse light, and turns the brake light into a brake/turn signal (red) light. Now you have two white reverse lights. Seems like it is possible to just make the old reverse light into a amber turn signal.

there are issues like light size, visibility, etc. Just wondering if anyone else has looked into this.

5. Mar 15, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I have a similar kit that has the same function so I understand it decently. Back to my original question however, with the kit installed, your turn signal (the OE brake light) would flash red, while having your reverse light flash amber.

If your question is can you make your own harness that would just switch the turn signal and reverse light around, leaving the brake just the brake light. Yeah that wouldn't be too hard at all. You could modify their kit with little effort.

6. Mar 15, 2020 at 6:13 PM
    Jkdog

Jkdog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Off-Road Premier
    Ya. That's what I was thinking. I agree it wouldn't be that difficult. Could switch the wiring on the OE turn/reverse wires. I kind of like the amber light. But wondering if there are any issues that i would be missing. I don't believe the law requires a specific size for the turn signal. Just an idea.

Products Discussed in

To Top