1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Switch Pro 9100 set up question

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by CO4Runner, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Mar 6, 2024 at 4:23 PM
    CO4Runner

CO4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD ORP
    Hi,

I have been thinking of installing a Switch Pro 9100 on my ‘23 TRD ORP and am a little confused about setting it up. I see there is an SDHQ set up with dash mount which looks fairly straight forward regarding installation. However, I also noticed there is a Power Tray install kit as well that includes Blue Sea bus bar and terminal block etc. The Power Tray set up looks a little more complicated not to mention more money because I’d still need to buy the SDHQ dash mold for the actual SwitchPro control panel.

I would currently be running lights on the Switch Pro at first but would look to add a winch and ARB twin compressor at a later date. I am also looking to swap my OEM battery with an Odyssey Extreme group 31 as well.

I am trying to figure out why I would need to go the Power Tray route? Is the SDHQ set up not as good? Is the Power Tray something I should go with instead?

Thanks

2. Mar 6, 2024 at 7:26 PM
    Old Tanker

Old Tanker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    "Matilda" 2019 ORP
    Front: Hefty. Rear: LFD. Sliders: RSG. Armor: LFD and Bud Built. Tires: KM3. Switchpro.
    SDHQ sells both a complete kit (most of the price is the 9100) or just the dashboard mold for the control panel. The dashboard piece makes your installation easier and neater. I used that with a Powertray.

For the engine bay setup, you can go simple (mount the 9100, wire it directly to the battery, and splice wires directly to the 9100). That's the way Switch Pro recommends, and the SDHQ kit gets you there. You'd still need a bus bar for the negatives.

The PowerTray setup is a more comprehensive setup that provides a mount for a busbar and terminal block. It makes it very easy to add or swap new accessories. The fuse block isn't needed unless you need to power unswitched accessories, so you could use the smaller "essentials" tray.

3. Mar 6, 2024 at 8:29 PM
    CO4Runner

CO4Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD ORP
    Thanks for the explanation. Since I want to add a compressor in the future, it seems the Power Tray setup is the way to go. I would want to route that to the fuse box on the power tray so I can run it without starting the engine.

I kind of figured I would have to spend more than the basic SDHQ set up. Appreciate you validating that for me.

4. Mar 7, 2024 at 2:58 AM
    Old Tanker

Old Tanker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    "Matilda" 2019 ORP
    Front: Hefty. Rear: LFD. Sliders: RSG. Armor: LFD and Bud Built. Tires: KM3. Switchpro.
    Also good crimpers, terminal lugs, wire sleeving, heat shrinker, a label printer that works with shrink tube labels...

Products Discussed in

To Top