1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suspension 2005 4WD Sport Edition 6-CYL 145,000 miles

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by 05OC4runner, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Dec 2, 2020 at 9:38 AM
    05OC4runner

05OC4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    New to the Forum and looking for advice. I want to replace struts and shocks. Mainly street drove and looking for the best ride. Looking at some previous posts, Looks like the Bilstein 5100 kit has good reviews. What springs would be best with the 5100 kit?

2. Dec 2, 2020 at 4:09 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Welcome.

3. Dec 3, 2020 at 10:29 AM
    05OC4runner

Member:
    Thank you! Great forum.

4. Dec 6, 2020 at 11:29 AM
    81runner

81runner New Member

Member:
    SoCal, Ventura County
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner, modified...
    I liked the feel of the moog fj coils on the road, and they were pretty cheap to buy. Since moved on to ome cuz I needed something stiffer off road

5. Jan 4, 2021 at 3:51 PM
    05OC4runner

Member:
    Thank you 81runner.

6. Jan 11, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda New Member

Member:
    If this is mostly street I dont think you need bilstein 5100, they are good but more intended for off road road or to provide a lift in the front. I used KYB front & rear & they are very nice for street use & light duty off road, they are ~10% stiffer springs & shock valving than stock but provide a very nice smooth ride & will give the front about 1" lift over stock for closer to a level stance. they are lifetime warranty & priced very good at rock auto & sometimes KYB offers a rebate. KYB shocks get great reviews & are a great budget shock for street use.

Also, 4runners dont have struts, they are just coil over shocks in the front & standard shocks in the rear.

7. Jan 11, 2021 at 2:57 PM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    My 2005 2WD runs and rides good for a 15 year old SUV. I had a 10 year old JIMMY (from new) and it started and ran but not like the 4runner. My advice is don't drive them too hard when they are this old

I've had to replace a few starters over the years. I have a Quality built in there now which comes with a lifetime warranty.
    Really. Who gives you a lifetime warranty on a starter? I have a backup starter new in the garage for a backup.

The QB has been in there 4 years now. The OEM failed at 4 years old exactly. A replacement failed in 4 years as well; that's why I went with the QB and their lifetime warranty. Kept the receipt (and box) and called QB once. They said just contact us if it ever fails.

You won't be driving your 4runner without a starter!

The 10 year old JIMMY had rust everywhere. The 4runner is rust free. Not a speck of rust on the body. Paint is not faded and looks new!

I replaced the shocks in the JIMMY one year. Big mistake as the ride wasn't any better. JIMMY had 78,000 miles when I sold it. Started fine. I'd call them "clunkers".

4runner has 150,000 miles now and starts right up when you turn the key, and rides better than the JIMMY ever did.

Sorry to bother you all with this. Toyotas are built to last.

Products Discussed in

To Top