1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestions for buffing out scratches? Update

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Trouble24, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Jun 12, 2024 at 4:40 AM
    Trouble24

Trouble24 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner TRD Pro
    I bought this rig to use in the hills and it's gonna get scratched. I'd still like to keep it looking as nice as I can though...without changing my lifestyle. This color shows everything!!! Makes me almost miss my silver one. So, any suggestions? Should I have a pro do the work or is this something I can do on my own and get the same results?IMG_5190.HEIC.jpg

2. Jun 12, 2024 at 6:10 AM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
    My 4R was scratched worse than that. I used a random-speed orbital polisher, not a buffer. Medium wool pad, buffing compound and time. Finished up with a soft foam pad and polish. Took me 20 hours over 4 days. I did one individual scratch at time. Trying to do an area seemed futile. I wasn't seeing results. I had never done any buffing before, and the results were spectacular. I started the buffer at 2,000 rpm to spread the compound and minimize the flinging, then up to 5,000 rpm for the actual work. You can do this and be proud as a peacock when you are finished. Post up some pics when you're done. Good luck.

https://www.4runners.com/threads/pinstripes-ill-show-you-pinstripes.22335/

2018 Limited, 2Toys and Trouble24[OP] like this.
  3. Jun 12, 2024 at 6:17 AM
    TRD5thgenner

TRD5thgenner Not Very Well Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Wow thats bad, I know some of you guys are proud of your offroad dents and scratches but dang. The older I get the more I realize this damage is not worth it. Ill usually try and find another way around the trail or call it a day.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2024
    qcTRDct likes this.
  4. Jun 12, 2024 at 6:31 AM
    Trouble24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner TRD Pro
    Thank you so much! Above all, thank you for the encouragement. Have you ever been a coach? If not, you should look into it. LOL!

Stoney Ranger[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 12, 2024 at 8:56 AM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    Here's a polishing video that I found extremely helpful for a noobie. He doesn't use a wool bonnet as the scratches aren't as bad as ours are. This will give the basic info of what to do. You will need a really aggressive buffing compound. Try to find a body shop supply store. They will have the industrial strength compounds that you cannot find anywhere else. Random orbital polishers are $170 (Walmart) - $500 (Body shop store) Then add pads, wool bonnets, buffing compound and polish cream. It won't be cheap. I have about $350 into it. You don't need the $500 polisher. The less expensive ones work fine for the DIYer. It just needs to be variable speed. I have the polisher in the vid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUC6zurChM&t=202s

Mowerman and Trouble24[OP] like this.
  6. Jun 12, 2024 at 9:12 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    To each their own. I try to avoid really scratchy trails. But, sometimes, shit happens. :notsure:

Jedi5150 and Stoney Ranger like this.
  7. Jun 12, 2024 at 9:26 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    How many times can you buff out that much without compromising the finish?

Stoney Ranger and Thatbassguy like this.
  8. Jun 12, 2024 at 9:28 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I wonder the same thing. I had a friend buff mine after the first season. But, I decided to leave it alone until I sell it, if I ever do. I believe you lose a little bit of clear coat every time.

ljerr2 likes this.
  9. Jun 12, 2024 at 10:19 AM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    I'll get back to you. It may be a while. Like in a few years. But I will get back to you when the time comes. I am trying to not go through that shit again.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  10. Jun 12, 2024 at 10:24 AM
    Trouble24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner TRD Pro
    Thank You!! Thank you!! This is perfect. So glad I asked for help.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  11. Jun 12, 2024 at 11:39 AM
    garoto

garoto New Member

Member:
    Oh my goodness, that is not worth it and on a 2024 Pro Terra! You'd typically do that to an old beater. If this is your use for the car. could have 100% done XPEL PPF on the full car or at least the front a sides and went and had fun knowing your finish is intact underneath. It will cost you as much to buff that out, and depending on how many times you do the buffing, you'll end up without clear left (there isn't much to start with) and a full paint job costs easily 6x as much as PPF would.

Buff it out then PPF it!

How well will PPF have worked out? Well...

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 1.40.08 PM.png

Sin4R, qcTRDct and Trouble24[OP] like this.
  12. Jun 12, 2024 at 3:42 PM
    Trouble24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner TRD Pro
    I feel like this is bothering many others more than me. And I get emotionally attached to cars. i love them more than most people. I still cry about some I've owned. It's not a Van Gogh. If owning this becomes second guessing and worrying, I'll run it over a cliff. I said the same thing about 4x4 and people freaking out about not driving more than 8 miles on dry, straight roads or whatever.....I can't live like that. I wonder how many hundreds of miles I drove when I was young because manual hubs...shift...too much. Lol
    I actually think it"s all gonna work out. I used to tell my fire crews, "Anybody die? Anybody hurt?" No?" Then we're good. We'll figure it out.
    I'll keep everyone posted and I do appreciate all comments and suggestions.

ID_Yeti and Thatbassguy like this.
  13. Jun 12, 2024 at 5:45 PM
    garoto

garoto New Member

Member:
    Yeah, just saying - you can have just as much fun but without the time-spend buffing it out. I take my ORP wheeling often and enjoy using it for what it’s for.

14. Jun 12, 2024 at 5:52 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    It depends where you go. At a park, there's always a way around. But, in some areas, the trails aren't maintained. You can either get a few scratches, or turn around and go home. A lot of the trails in Wisconsin are a little scratchy. And, sometimes those are the best ones. :D

PPF is a nice idea, too. If someone really wants to preserve the paint, they can certainly go that route.

But, it's just a car, after all. I don't go out of my way to scratch it. And, I don't enjoy scratching it. But, sometimes the trail you want to go down is a little tight and scratchy.

15. Jun 12, 2024 at 6:16 PM
    Trouble24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner TRD Pro
    I hear ya. Right now this is the only thing with 4 wheels running. I needed to get to my dad's house quickly....about midnight. That's the fastest route. Even if my beater was running, I still would've taken the 4R. Less chance something goes sideways and I have to hike out. It was a cold, windy, night.

Thatbassguy and garoto[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Jun 12, 2024 at 10:51 PM
    Rick G.

Rick G. Member since July, 2020

Member:
    The Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Premium 4WD

Holy crap! No thanks.

Stoney Ranger[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jun 13, 2024 at 10:50 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    Problem is, you can do that maybe twice, and the you will have no clear coat left and paint will start oxidizing unevenly in the sun.

Use protection film, that what it is for.

ljerr2 likes this.
  18. Jun 13, 2024 at 12:44 PM
    Justthemechanic

Justthemechanic New Member

Member:
    Nevada desert
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner SR5, 5 speed, 3.0
    OME 2” lift, BudBuilt armor, RRO sliders, Spartan rear locker
    Just finished buffing out the pinstripes on my truck. Wash the truck, apply the paste wax to a 2’x2’ area, spritz some water on the foam pad and buff the area 5 or 6 times in different directions. Repeat until finished. Takes me about 2 hours. Bought the pad at HF.
    Then go out and get more pinstripes.

IMG_4569.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

19. Jun 13, 2024 at 2:20 PM
    Trouble24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner TRD Pro
    That's the attitude! Thank you! Glad I got the first blemishes out of the way! I thought about covering them in mud today so they weren't so offensive. Seriously, thanks for being positive!

20. Jul 13, 2024 at 6:33 AM
    Trouble24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner TRD Pro
    I don't have a single visible scratch!!! I, however did not do the work myself so can't take any credit. I had to go to Toyota for an alignment and they offered to do it. I promise I will get more though! I'm going to factor in a paint job mentally as an automatic cost so I can remove any possibility that scratches will influence my decisions on where I go or what I do. I'll paint it, then wrap it!IMG_5496.HEIC.jpg

21. Jul 13, 2024 at 8:08 AM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    Looks good. Keep in mind, there is very finite number of times you can do this, as once clear coat is gone your paint will start oxidizing in the sun. Ask me how I know.

22. Jul 13, 2024 at 8:28 AM
    Trouble24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner TRD Pro
    For sure! Do you suggest another coat of paint protection of some sort? Like I said, at some point there will be a paint job in my future....which is heavily influenced because it happens to be the 2024 Terra....seems like they're becoming desirable but who knows what value they'll hold in the future. Could be worth 0.
    I'm not going to beat it up intentionally or be negligent. I would like to protect it as much as possible from this point...yet knowing I'm still going to use it as intended.

23. Jul 13, 2024 at 8:59 AM
    2ndGen22re

2ndGen22re Goldie, my 1st love & my new kid…

Member:
    First Name:
    CR
    Carson Valley, NV
    Vehicle:
    1990 22RE & 22 AG ORP KDSS
    One-at-this-price stripper. Bought new 34 yrs ago, a $13K leftover. Added Detroit TruTrac, 1”rear spring spacer and “pinstripes”… Factory AC kit and roof rack bought at dealer cost at time of purchase, still blows ice cold 32yrs later. 2022 AG ORP all stock.
    You made me think about a fairly recent conversation with the wife.
    I’ve kept my diesel pickup as pristine as I could with seat covers over really nice leather. I am 68, soon to be 69. I thought why am I not enjoying the nice seats, why am I saving them for someone else?
    I shouldn’t care about resale value as this is my last truck. So leather it is.

24. Jul 13, 2024 at 9:10 AM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....

I've been thinking about that too, recently. Now, I'm not as old as you, but I keep thinking "Why should I sacrifice not doing _____ just to keep my SloRunner looking show-room new constantly? Just to up the re-sale and let the NEXT guy reap the rewards?"

Now, I'm not saying I'll trash my ride, but I'll do more, go more places with it/in it and not worry so damn much if it gets dirty. Well, that last part is a lie. I'm OCD, so I'll still wash it constantly.

25. Jul 13, 2024 at 10:22 AM
    Justthemechanic

Justthemechanic New Member

Member:
    Nevada desert
    Vehicle:
    94 4Runner SR5, 5 speed, 3.0
    OME 2” lift, BudBuilt armor, RRO sliders, Spartan rear locker
    I only use paste wax and the fine yellow foam pad to polish out the pinstripes and don’t use any abrasive buffing or polishing compounds. I only do this once a year so I am not concerned that I am slowly abrading away the clear coat. My truck is a 1994, so if the paint starts to oxidize it will just add to the desert patina that I already have. The sun is brutal here in the Mojave Desert.

Trouble24[OP] likes this.
  26. Jul 13, 2024 at 10:31 AM
    CalcityRenegade

CalcityRenegade New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Earth
    Vehicle:
    2023 T4R ORP KDSS
    I had some paint correction done on my Tacoma before I sold it. The shop that did the work said Toyota paint is soft and scratches easily, but it easy to correct. Looks awesome again!

27. Jul 13, 2024 at 2:39 PM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    I would keep the original paint as long as possible. Proper paint job is expensive because you have to remove all trim and seals. Also hard to find anyone willing to do it, unless you bring the car ready to paint.

My experiences with full repaint - unless it is exotic restoration ($$$) shops just don't care. For a regular vehicle you generally want to strip all trim yourself (order all new clips for everything, you will need it). This would be a good time to get new windshield and replace any door seals that are torn.

Ask to see the paint room, anything dirty or grimy - walk away. Stay away from any shop that mostly deals with insurance. Ideally, find a shop that can also bake paint, as the result is much more durable.

Keep in mind, repaint is never as durable as the original and will chip much easier.

In 2024, in most circumstances, I would just wrap the car instead of painting.

I full ceramic coat all my cars, but I don't think it will be sufficient for what you do. It does make paint slightly harder to scratch. I would just clear film all of side panels (essentially wrap it) and replace that film as needed.

Trouble24[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  28. Jul 13, 2024 at 2:46 PM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    You can make leather last A LOT longer if you apply proper leather conditioner to it once a year. Lexol is one that is decent and readily available.

2ndGen22re[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Jul 13, 2024 at 10:39 PM
    Trouble24

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner TRD Pro
    I've read SO many posts about paint issues! I've been driving those roads for years and Believe Me, I heard the brush scraping and didn't even cringe. Didn't sound like much. Figured there'd be a few scrapes but not that bad. LOL!! Oh Well, live and learn....then do it again!
    It's going to ruin my reputation but it's so glossy and shiny, I've stayed on pavement. That changes Monday! Plans have been made! :D

30. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:19 AM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    I would have had it fully wrapped with PPF if you planned on off roading a lot. I did track wrap on my SO and love it. My 19 Z06 yes it’s a car but fully wrapped and no rock issues into the PPF. It’s black also.

Trouble24[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top