1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stumble and hesitate while idle

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by NW Runner, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Apr 28, 2023 at 4:45 PM
    NW Runner

NW Runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner
    3in Iron man 4stage lift
    So I’m stumped and wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.2004 4Runner Limited 4x4 4.0 with 14k on rebuilt original motor. On a cold start it will miss and hesitate until warmed up and drive fine. Once I get off work the miss and hesitation is more noticeable. I’ll put it in Reverse and it’s misses/chugs and it once in drive it does the same thing. As soon as I give it throttle I don’t feel the miss/hesitation at all. But then at a stop light in drive I get an intermittent hesitation??? Im so confused, Has no CEL Any help would be appreciated.

2. Apr 30, 2023 at 10:01 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Had a similar problem with an older car. Replaced wires and Plugs with OEM and it was fixed. What was weird was that it would come back if you pulled plug wires at any time after. Then you had to replace them again with new. I think ultimately it was a grounding issue but sold the car before I figured it out.

Check for OBD2 pending codes.

Check all grounds on the motor and electrical system.

Products Discussed in

To Top