1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shift Delay and other Transmission Issues

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by kicker13, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Jul 20, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    kicker13

kicker13 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey everyone - I recently traded an 07 Tacoma TRD with 175k for an 05 4R SE 4wd with 176k after my wife and I had our son. I knew it wasn't in as good of shape as my Taco but the seller offered some cash on top of a trade and my truck wasn't moving so I took it. Replaced the rotors, calipers and pads right off the bat, followed by plugs, front wheel bearings, synthetic oil, and a K&N air filter. Threw a code one day for the 2nd ignition coil and quickly replaced it.

None of those things were ever really red flags, but it's had a lingering shift delay on takeoff and when shifting from D to R and R to D. Sometimes it'll take a good 2 seconds to get a throttle response leaving a full stop, although the worst delay is a rolling stop. Took it into the dealership to get the transmission fluid checked and got the typical "could not duplicate," so I need some advice as to whether or not this is normal. I definitely didn't experience anything like this with my Taco with the same engine etc, in fact it got better with age.

If it's normal, is there anything I can do to minimize it? If it's not normal, can you fine people point in the right direction as to what steps I need to take to get it corrected/repaired?

2. Jul 22, 2020 at 12:03 PM
    MattAK

MattAK Headin' for the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 dbl cab white
    These things aren't exactly responsive to the throttle but what you describe doesn't really sound normal to me. I have the V8 so it might act a little differently for me with your V6 but they are the same transmission. I do have issues on occasion going from R -> D and vice versa; if I'm too quick on the throttle after the shift or if I didn't come to a complete enough stop before shifting the transmission doesn't like it and will refuse to go into gear until I cycle it again. Or it will go into gear but the traction control will chatter at me. Normally just takes a second to do the shift though and I don't really notice a rolling stop delay. When I bought mine I had the torque converter rumble strip issue as well as some pretty hard downshifts from 5 to 4. I had the pan dropped by a local shop (not the dealer) so it could be inspected. My fluid was extremely dirty so they did a full exchange and added some additional lubricants and shudder stop which fixed my two issues. Might be worth having a good transmission shop give you a second opinion.

I know people like to use a sprint booster or pedal commander to get better response out of the throttle but I personally haven't found a need for one yet.

kicker13[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 25, 2020 at 6:42 AM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    With the transmission do a 5 quart Drain and Fill with Toyota brand WS only. That will exchange 35% of the old you have in there now. Sometimes a transmission service will solve shifting issues.

Some 4runner transmissions have gone over 200,000 miles without any service. Lifetime fluids are not really good for a lifetime (500,000 miles). D/F (filter too).

Only Toyota brand WS fluid. Look up your year and buy it off Amazon.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    kicker13[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top