1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sell or keep the 01Runner vs 07element

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by 01GreenMachine, Aug 4, 2024.

1. Aug 4, 2024 at 1:47 PM
    01GreenMachine

01GreenMachine [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Runner / 07 Element
    Stock
    New poster here, been lurking for the better part of a decade.

I have an 01 Green SR5 with the hood scoop, all original, with 296k on the od, also have an 07 Element with 204k on the od.

just got a 2019 hylander and one of the other two have to go, not sure which is worth keeping if either.

Runner Cons:
    Paints going bad (FL), plenty of undercarriage rust but frame seems fine, water leaks in above windshield and door jams in heavy rain (been told it’s the last windshield), ac is going and leaks on inside on passenger side floorboard, negligible oil leak from seal (quart added every six months or so), sunroof permanently disabled (don’t smoke anymore so I don’t care),

Runner Pros:
    Basically one owner, maintenance up to date, timing belt and water pump at 160k, new radiator a few years back, new wiring harness in 2012, cat conv and 02 sensors shot but we’re not in a state that requires emissions, new tires, always starts, would be a daily drive to work and beach vehicle only, all the electric windows and door locks work including rear window, suspension has been redone w/ oem, last but not least I know this vehicle inside and out and it’s saved my life out west and in the north east on countless occasions.

Element Cons:
    204k, whole bottom end needs to be replaced and repaired (sway bars, CV, maybe an axel) needs new tires and new brakes/rotors, exhaust has a leak, wheel bearings might be shot, every once in awhile it randomly slows down without hitting the breaks - mechanic can’t figure it out but I worry it’s a transmission issue, driver sun visor inop, center console isn’t hooked up to anything anymore, I’m surrounded by lifted diesels and it’s low to the ground, as far as I know the timing belt has been done but may still have the original radiator and water pump/fuel pump.

Element Pros:
    No oil leak, AC just got fixed and blows ice cold ($800), no carpet which is good for the beach, paint is still ok*, starts and runs fine beside the weird thing that happens every so often mentioned above, AWD and can get in and out of tight spots, better on gas but not by much, actually can haul more sqft vertically than the runner, removable seats. Also basically one owner.

I need help deciding which to sell and which to put money in to, unless I sell both and buy a slightly less shitty hunk of rust. Either way one of these needs to last another five years. Neither of them go on the highway, or look pristine, they’ll travel 30mi a day on town roads.

I’m a hillbilly from Jersey living in a redneck part of Florida and to be frank, I don’t care what my car looks like so long as it drives

2. Aug 4, 2024 at 5:26 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    It sounds like the Element is closer to needing hospice care. I'd keep the 4R, although its issues aren't trivial.

icebear and 01GreenMachine[OP] like this.
  3. Aug 4, 2024 at 6:55 PM
    01GreenMachine

01GreenMachine [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Runner / 07 Element
    Stock
    Thanks for the reply Backpacker.

4. Aug 4, 2024 at 7:10 PM
    kojak

kojak New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5P 4x4
    Element gang!

PXL_20240316_143957242~2.jpg

I need to sell the E but I haven't really tried. The full suspension refresh was a pain but cost peanuts.

You will never, ever fit as much stuff in a 4Runner.

5. Aug 4, 2024 at 9:15 PM
    Pentangler

Pentangler Happy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Nice E, where are you located?

6. Aug 4, 2024 at 10:09 PM
    kojak

kojak New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5P 4x4
    Thanks, it still cleans up nice and as a California car it dodged most of the rust. Deep South Texas.

image.jpg

Pentangler[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 5, 2024 at 2:48 AM
    JET4

JET4 Old Member

Member:
    Southeast, Va.
    I had an Element back in the day. Really like it.

8. Aug 5, 2024 at 9:07 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Get rid of the E and fix the leak issues with the 4Runner.

PhantomTweak and icebear like this.
  9. Aug 5, 2024 at 1:58 PM
    Sin4R

Sin4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 Underground Limited
    Mall crawling kit.
    Water leak is a serious issue, any internal damage/rust from it?

10. Aug 5, 2024 at 4:39 PM
    5thToy

5thToy New Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5P
    You might be surprised to see the rust cancer that can develop underneath a leaking windshield install. I would get that replaced to stop the leak and see what's under there.

Sin4R likes this.
  11. Aug 6, 2024 at 7:37 AM
    Hungryhawk

Hungryhawk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    I agree with 5th Toy, find out about potential body rust around windshield on 4runner. Let that influence you decision.
    Do you park them outside? What are insurance costs? How often do you drive them or has the 2019 Highlander taken over as daily driver?
    I sold my 2004 AWD Pilot (no VCM) this year after 20 years trusty service. It had no rust (in CA) but all window rubber starting to go, main seal required oil additives to control leak and rear bump stops were shot. It found a good home in a family of mechanics. I hated to see it go as it took my family everywhere as we raised our kids. Older Hondas are solid. Now my wife and I have 2 vehicles and its better all around. I even have time to help my daughter maintain her 2019 SR5.

icebear likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top