1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

S and B CAI POOR MILEAE

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jameson41, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Dec 2, 2020 at 11:37 AM
    Jameson41

Jameson41 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro Premium
    Bone stock
    2020 TRD ORP. Installed the latest iteration of the S&B CAI. Also have the Pedal Commander. Even w the PC turned off, I’m getting poor mileage.
    Since install my mileage is 14ish MPG at highway speeds (75mph).87 octane, I can get I w 0% ethanol here in Nebraska.
    I do have a Bilstein lift and E rated K02s....what am I missing? I’ve even reset the system by leaving the battery disconnected overnight. Why has my mileage gotten substantially worse? Truck doesn’t even have 10K miles.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  2. Dec 2, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Do you live in a area with lots of hills? Cold? you have all the ingredients for poor mileage so I think it’s normal. These vehicles arent necessarily designed to get the best MPG’s at 75mph with a lift and heavy tires. A CAI isn’t designed to get you better MPG’s.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    canadian.bacon and Thatbassguy like this.
  3. Dec 2, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    Doglover2003

Doglover2003 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '18 ORP w/KDSS
    Lift, E-rated tires, Cai= poor mileage

4. Dec 2, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    EffinNewGuy

EffinNewGuy Completely clueless

Member:
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    Absolutely nothing
    Plus your 4Runner has the aerodynamic qualities of a concrete block, at your stated speeds, I'd say 14 is pretty good.

5. Dec 2, 2020 at 11:53 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I shake my head when people mention better MPG with a aftermarket intake. The point of an aftermarket intake is to get more air into the engine. More air tells the computer to add more fuel. You might make more power (small..but more) because you're able to use more fuel. Better airflow, leading to more fuel delivery is typically diametrically opposed to better MPG.

Put another way, if you burn more fuel, how can you expect better fuel economy?

Also, lift = more aerodynamic drag.

E load tires is perhaps the most MPG hit of all. Moving unsprung mass is something like a 10:1 ratio of moving sprung mass. Go put on the heaviest shoes you can and it's interesting to note how they slow you down and tire you out much faster than carrying a backpack with several times that weight.

Finally, that Pedal commander just mashes the gas harder. You say it's throttle response, but that's because it's romping the gas pedal. That, no surprise, burns more fuel.

I'd say I average 16.5MPG, and I've got a 2" lift, stock powertrain, and C load 265/70/17 KO2s. I picked C load due to light offroading but still lighter weight than E load. I don't have a pedal commander, I don't have engine mods, and I drive pretty conservatively. I live in Memphis, so the terrain is flat and I'm about 400ft above sea level, so ideal conditions for optimal MPG.

Respectively, you're doing pretty well, assuming those are 32" tires and you're not running 33's which could be throwing your math off for the MPG calculations.

6. Dec 2, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    On my 2017 i have 2” lift all around, Falken 285/70/17 M/Ts. I think they are about 60 lbs. also have RSG sliders at about 50 lbs each, Driving around town i get 13 mpg. I also have the PC, but i get the same with it off or on, I’m good with it.

Doglover2003 likes this.
  7. Dec 2, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    that mileage sounds about right
    drive 60-65 and you might get 16ish

Doglover2003 likes this.

Products Discussed in