1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing valve spring (hopefully) 2007 V8

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Tunnelboy, May 12, 2021.

1. May 12, 2021 at 11:32 PM
    Tunnelboy

Tunnelboy [OP] New Member

Member:
    I've got a 2007 4Runner with a V8 and only 72k on it. Had very loud metallic ticking noise. Ran camera into all the cylinders and found #5 exhaust valve very slightly stuck open. Valve looked good and no marks on piston. Compression test must have forced it closed as I got 175lbs on just about every cylinder.

Pulled cover and measured .096 gap with cam lobe off bucket. Took a brass rod and pushed the bucket and it was easy to push down. But the last time I pushed it, it just stuck down. It has since "clicked" back on its own.

I'm about to pull the camshafts and hopefully remove the bucket and find a broken spring under it. But confused about using the "service bolt" on the spring loaded gear of the cam.

If I rotate the engine to TDC, and line both L&R cams to the mark, the two dots behind the two gears are lined up, but the service bolt location is completely hidden (in the cavity of the head). If I rotate the engine a full revolution, then I can use the service bolt, but timing belt marks are no longer visible. I tried putting the bolt (6mm cap screw) in and tried rotating the engine again, but there is no room for the head of the bolt to rotate. The head of the bolt is hitting the head. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong before pulling timing belt. I was going to get a button head bolt tomorrow to try that, but like I said, not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

2. May 13, 2021 at 8:35 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Not sure there are too many on here who have gone this far into a repair on their V8s.
    Try toyota-4runner.org and tag @BlackWorksInc. He might know or know someone who can help. 1st gen Tundra folks might be able to help as well.
    Good Luck.

3. May 13, 2021 at 11:07 AM
    Tunnelboy

Tunnelboy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the response. I signed up at 4runner.org. But they force you to leave 15 responses before you're able to post a message. I tried going through the forums over the past 6 weeks, but every post I was qualified to respond to, someone had already done so. It's kind of frustrating. I realize there is a spam issue, but I think that's kind of excessive. Their prerogative though I guess. My buddy suggested I try some of the off-roader 4runner sites, so here I am.

4. May 13, 2021 at 12:32 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Yea it is excessive. Will they let you respond to old threads that are basically dead? Not sure I remember how the qualification thing worked. They were hammered with spam a couple years ago and people started getting pissed, so I guess that was their solution. There are a few 4th gen guys on the Tacoma World page, maybe they would have a source. Sorry man, frustrating I know.

Products Discussed in

To Top