1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear hatch actuator won't latch

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by 4runner_dude, Jul 12, 2024.

1. Jul 12, 2024 at 6:05 PM
    4runner_dude

4runner_dude [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys, having problems with my 05 4runner sr5 v6. The rear hatch actuator stopped latching closed one day, so I took it apart and found some damage to the plastic that covers the hook. So I ended up replacing the whole thing

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5411292&cc=1431016&pt=13397

Put that one in and reset the fuse for ECU-B, and I can activate the soft close manually by pressing the hook with a screwdriver. It operates smoothly and easily. Go to close the hatch and I can hear and see the hook is engaging slightly. But it just doesn't engage enough to trigger the actuator.

I tried everything my searches lead me too, and even lubed up the new actuator. Then I ended up getting desperate and getting one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092HM4KY7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Honestly looks the same quality and operates even a little more smoothly, but in the end it did the same exact thing. Everything seems to be lined up perfectly between the latch point on the body, and the actuator, and there's no damage or accidents to the rear hatch to cause misalignment or anything.

Any ideas??

2. Jul 13, 2024 at 6:13 AM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Silver ‘07 Sport V6 4WD @ 260K miles
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    The attached service manual pages may be helpful.

Attached Files:

Fennellco likes this.
  3. Jul 13, 2024 at 9:05 AM
    4runner_dude

4runner_dude [OP] New Member

Member:
    Those are great, thank you.

The problem seems to solely be a mechanical issue, not electrical. The 2 new actuators have performed exactly as intended in the manual.

The latch seems physically impossible to move into the "harf-latch" position when closing the hatch, but functions as expected with the screwdriver test. Nothing is physically blocking the hatch from closing. I can peak through the cracks of the closing hatch and see and hear the latch engaging the hook on the chassis, but only gets about a 1/4 of the way latched.

With the screwdriver test, the latch moves to the "harf-latch" position, then actuates the lock as intended.

Screenshot_20240713_085658_Adobe Acrobat_1.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top