1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Differential oil change guidance/advice

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Pepperspray, Sep 5, 2024.

1. Sep 5, 2024 at 9:24 PM
    Pepperspray

Pepperspray [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 2x4
    I drive a 2017 4Runner 2wd Limited. Specs say the rear diff should take 2.9 quarts. So I bought 3 quarts, parked on level ground, and did a drain and fill last week. I wish I had measured how much fluid I removed, but didn't. I filled it with all 3 quarts of Valvoline synthetic 75W90. I was expecting it to overflow from the fill hole at the end of the 3rd quart but it never did.

I drove it for a week, not really noticing any problems, but my OCD kicked in not knowing if the chamber was full. So I bought another bag and ended up adding about another 0.3 quarts before it spilled out the fill hole.

My 2 questions are these:
    1. Anyone have any experience knowing why my differential chamber took 3.3 quarts of oil, when the manual says should be 2.9q?
    2. Did I do any damage to the differential gears by running it ~0.3 quarts low for a week?

Thanks

2. Sep 5, 2024 at 10:31 PM
    icebear

icebear Recovered Kia Owner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    You’re not the first person to run into that, not sure why that discrepancy is but don’t worry, I guarantee you’re fine.

But I also relate to your stress about it.

3. Sep 5, 2024 at 11:40 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Just follow the amount Toyota lists. More isn’t necessarily good because it could cause aeration.

4. Sep 6, 2024 at 12:15 AM
    BobbyB

BobbyB Where the road ends, Fun begins!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Off Road
    SSO Slimline Bumper Warn Evo 10s winch Bilstein 5100 shocks Dobinson Springs (front and rear) JBA Upper Control Arms Baja Designs Squadron Pro Combo lights Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Foglights RCI skids (engine, trans, Txfr and gas tank) CaliRaised sliders UpTop Overland Bravo Rack Auxbeam 6 switch panel Frac Harness with front camera Custom rear diff breather on firewall
    I also use Valvoline for my front and rear diffs and use the “squeeze bag” that makes it so much easier to fill the diffs. That said, I have noticed that the bag does not necessarily fully empty while squeezing into the fill hole so I drain the spent bag into an empty bag as I go. You may have had enough fluid hiding in the spent bags to be off by a little.

I recall my rear diff taking a little over 3 qt bags before it overflowed…

Since you were only off by 1/3 qt., your diff is fine…

Cheers,
    Bob

Kyblack76 likes this.
  5. Sep 6, 2024 at 7:04 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    You are fine. Just make sure you can see the level. Some of the manuals show a picture of the diff with where the level should be. If you use the plastic bags you can easily control how much you put in until you can see the level. I can't remember how many qt's I used, but it took forever to fill in because I used the bottles and not the bags. I then did it with bags on the taco and it was so much faster.

6. Sep 6, 2024 at 7:11 AM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    3JOH22A likes this.
  7. Sep 6, 2024 at 7:30 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    1a. The axle housing is a multi-piece weldment. The differential inside has many cast- and forged parts. The mfg tolerances easily add up to 10% fluid volume variation. Remember your 4Runner is a mass produced vehicle, with one rolling off the line roughly every 1.4 minutes.

1b. The service manual specification is +/- 5mm from the fill hole. 0.3 qt over the width of the whole axle housing equates to less than 5mm level change. You didn't have to add the 0.3 qt.

1c. The axle angle changes a bit when fully drooped, so the fill hole level is slightly different when your 4Runner is on a two-post lift at the dealer vs. on the ground.

2. Damage doesn't occur until it's down to 2.0 quarts. :cookiemonster:

icebear likes this.
  8. Sep 9, 2024 at 11:42 PM
    Pepperspray

Pepperspray [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 2x4
    thanks all! much appreciated!

9. Sep 10, 2024 at 3:39 AM
    laxman09

laxman09 Gassy Member

Member:
    Mahoning Valley, OHIO
    I did mine a couple weeks ago and had the same issue. Filled with 3qt of Redline 75W85 and it didnt drip out. Called it good as it was already the amount called for in the manual. Yes I stress a little, but I forgot about it until this post. Thanks :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top