1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RE: Transfer Case Issue

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by tonydangh, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Dec 5, 2020 at 9:54 PM
    tonydangh

tonydangh [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Hello, I'm new here. I recently just purchased a 2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium. It was shipped to the dealer this past Thursday. Upon picking up the vehicle and driving it off the lot, the vehicle started making a constant clicking noise with a slight vibration associated with the clicks. I thought it was just me or I was going crazy but my wife asked me about the noise instantly. We drove around the block and took it back to the dealer. The dealer tech went on a drive along with me and confirmed that was not normal. Left the vehicle over night and they gave me a call late the next day stating that they will need to replace the transfer case. The vehicle is brand new and I haven't been able to drive it home and it already has issue. All my friends and family is stating that I should demand for a new vehicle. I'm new to 4Runners is this something that I should be concern with and ask for a new vehicle? My wife is very uneasy about the vehicle. Thank you!

2. Dec 5, 2020 at 10:06 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I think you’d need to go the lemon law route, but it’s very rare to see something like this happen in the 4Runners. Definitely a unicorn in terms of error. If it were me, I’d be happy with a replacement transfer case and ask, but require them to give me a 7 year/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty. No less.
    im not sure of this, but I’ve read that sometimes you can “return” a vehicle if within a certain time frame. Not sure if true or if it applies.

Toy4X4 and 7385 like this.
  3. Dec 5, 2020 at 10:33 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I'd tell the dealer you want a different truck. That's unacceptable to have not even been able to drive it off the lot without a working transfer case.

Toy4X4 and 7385 like this.
  4. Dec 5, 2020 at 10:47 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    The purpose of a warranty is to cover defects, the vehicle had a defect, it happens. Complain and see if you can get them to throw in an extended powertrain warranty, but at this point it’s nothing to be concerned about. Vehicles are made tens of thousands of bits and pieces and nobody mass produces anything with a 0% rate of defect.

5. Dec 6, 2020 at 3:06 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Welcome from Wisconsin! I have to agree with the other statements, let them put in a new transfer case and be gone! But I would also express your "uneasyness" to them, maybe if you got the extended powertrain warranty for no additional cost, you'd feel better! Tell the dealer that. It is indeed a rare thing that happened to you.

6. Dec 6, 2020 at 6:57 AM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    I’d be interested in hearing about what is going on with the T-case.
    And not just replace it and forget it.

Hopefully it’s nothing more than the tail of a zip tie on the driveshaft kinda joke.
    Been there, did that.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Toy4X4 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top