1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RCI aluminum skid plate vibrations

Discussion in 'Armor' started by HuskyMike, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Oct 12, 2023 at 9:32 AM
    HuskyMike

HuskyMike [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium- Nautical Blue
    Hi all,

Anyone else have a vibration/ rattle on their skid plates where the engine and transmission plates overlap? I have the aluminum RCI skid plates and have been trying to track down this noise.

When I tap/ bang on the joint where those two connect, the rattle against each other in the middle of the connection. Bolts are tight, but the material seems to flex just enough to rattle. Thinking about putting some weather stripping or rubber between them to stop the rattling. Or maybe drill a hole and add a bolt in the middle of the panels to tie them together better.

Anyone else deal with this?

2. Oct 12, 2023 at 9:51 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Mine don't rattle and I just came off 50 miles of cobblestone. Did you put the rubber spacers in?

3. Oct 12, 2023 at 9:57 AM
    Fortuner

Fortuner New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium w/KDSS
    If you’ve done a trail run recently, try pressure washing the undercarriage. Could be dirt/debris wedged between the plates? Happened to me…

Might be worth taking the entire thing off and reinstalling to get better fitment?

4. Oct 12, 2023 at 10:38 AM
    HuskyMike

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I didn't get any rubber spacers with mine.

Thought it might be something like that but it's all clean/ clear under there.

If I tap the connection between those two plates, it appears it's coming from the slight gap in the center of the two plates. I'll be taking them off to see if there's something I'm missing, though.

5. Oct 12, 2023 at 6:23 PM
    HuskyMike

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
  6. Oct 12, 2023 at 6:43 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    Oh god, it's hard to even navigate that.

Just upload it on youtube.

If you have plates vibrating against each other, just put some adhesive foam tape; sticky on one side and soft foam on the other.

7. Oct 12, 2023 at 7:14 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    It could be the cross member below the front Differential that is touching the skid plate. They have a bit of of a give sometimes. Or the spacers as other suggest. Or wait....I had the flat section of the exhaust touching the middle skid plate but I got the spacer and problem solved. Good luck.

8. Oct 12, 2023 at 8:09 PM
    HuskyMike

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Ya. I think that's the best solution.

9. Oct 12, 2023 at 8:10 PM
    HuskyMike

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Hitting the exhaust is the usual issue, but they may have redesigned it because I have plenty of clearance.

10. Oct 25, 2023 at 2:30 PM
    HuskyMike

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    You might be on to something. Took another look the other day. There is a subframe (?) right above the connection of the front and middle skid plates. Doesn't appear to be any clearance so the plate could be vibrating on that.

I wrote RCI to get their opinion but haven't heard back. Maybe this weekend, I'll pull them off and add some washers and see what happens.

Uploaded a couple videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2vsgYCj7Wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x5lHsGUvuo

11. Oct 25, 2023 at 9:22 PM
    kolter45

kolter45 Inferno Pro & 4.0 Tacoma

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Inferno Pro & BRM Sport
    Mine do this since I add the cat guards on my taco. It’s just that way when I start the truck up. Not while driving

12. Nov 2, 2023 at 8:26 PM
    HuskyMike

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Finally got around to pulling the front skid plate. Middle plate was resting on the subframe. Maybe it's supposed to be that way? Couple taps and could duplicate the vibration. Went out and bought a couple different nylon washers/ spacers. Picked one that spaced it off the subframe and tightened everything back up (leaving the front skid off for now). I'll see how it goes.

Although I've heard them vibrating, after banging around on the skid plates, the noise I'm chasing doesn't really sound like it's related to the plates. I'll leave the front skid off and see how it goes.

First pic you can see the plate resting on the subframe. Second pic shows washer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Nov 2, 2023 at 8:31 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    I hope it works. I'm staying tuned for a longer-term report.

14. Nov 5, 2023 at 4:52 PM
    HuskyMike

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Front skid plate back on. I still heard the noise with it off. The noise I'm trying to find sounds more like it's in the engine/ transmission. Kind of a "whirring", "zzziiinng" sound. That's the best I can describe it. Almost metallic. Not heat shield metallic, though. Only happens just off idle in gear (Drive or Reverse). Can be duplicated sitting in the garage with my foot on the brake, car in D or R and giving it the slightest bit of gas. Can also be heard in parking garages or coming up the hill to my house if I drive slow enough.

Probably one of those normal 4Runner drivetrain sounds. I don't believe I heard it for the first 8,000 miles or so, though. Everything did get louder with the skid plates on (assume they reflect sounds up into the cabin). It definitely seemed more quiet with the front skid plate off. I'll have them check out the sound at the 10,000 mile service in a few weeks.

While the sound was not related to the plate resting against the subframe, I left the white washers on only because I had already glued them to the black RCI spacers. In the end, probably normal for that plate to rest against the subframe.

Rattling when hitting the plates was caused by both sets of plates overlapping. Adding a piece of soft velcro in the middle where the plates overlapped and it all but eliminated it. I also added soft velcro underneath the oil filter access cover. Apparently my kryponite is metal rattling against metal.

As I had read posts about stripping the skid plate bolt-hole threads, I was very cautious about not stripping them the first time and it was tough to get everything aligned with the holes being slightly off.

While the front skid plate was off, I filed out the front and middle (tube) holes. 100% easier install this time. Should have done the rearmost holes also, but they were no where near as bad so it only took a little more effort to get those bolts in. The holes were not off a lot, but they didn't have to be to make the install more difficult than it should have been the first time.

Also, I didn't like that the front "filler plate" plastic cover was not installed. Added it back on. Front bolts are in original spots. Drilled a hole in the skid plate for one self-tapping screw for the rear center hole. If not having the outer two screws becomes an issue (can't imagine it will) I'll figure out a way to attach them to the skid plate.

Pics:

Incorrect alignment of holes. Blue tape used to make template from subframe.

[​IMG]

Picture showing pressure on the bolt caused by mis-drilled holes.

[​IMG]

Egged out hole after filing (did both middle holes like this).

[​IMG]

Front Filler Plate installed

[​IMG]

15. Nov 5, 2023 at 5:06 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    The plot thickens here.
    I wonder if you damaged a little the exhaust piece that looks flat right in the middle of the truck before it goes to the top and to the right. That flat section could sometimes touch the skid plates if you don't have the spacers in there. I would trace the entire exhaust pieces and see if they are loose somewhere.

HuskyMike[OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 5, 2023 at 5:06 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Question - what torque are you using on the skid plates? I ask because I had a recent noise when at low speeds and turning and it turned out to be my RCI skids. I didn't have hole alignment issues like you did, I'm just an idiot. I set my torque wrench to 22.5 newton meters when installing (22.5 ft/lbs was OEM spec from what I remember, 30 newton meters). RCI reccomends 30 ft/lbs (not sure if that is a newton meters to ft/lbs mistake and should be OEM) but I tightened them all down to the 30 ft/lbs recommended by RCI and my mystery noise is now gone.

I have the cat guards as well and didn't torque them - just used the gudentite method

HuskyMike[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  17. Nov 5, 2023 at 7:23 PM
    HuskyMike

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Very common area to have interference with a skid plate, but, in my case there is an inch or two of clearance. Same with the transmission's OEM skid plate which is still installed.

18. Nov 5, 2023 at 7:33 PM
    HuskyMike

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I torqued them to 22ft lbs. The reason for this is that I used anti-seize on the bolts. According to the all-knowing OZ (google), one should reduce the spec'd torque by 25-30% when using anti-seize. The reason being it's essentially lube, so it's easy to over torque a bolt. I don't remember if I torqued the cat guard bolts or just gudentited them as you did.

I do (did?) have a "Spronggggg" type of sound when going over parking lot drainage channels at an angle at moderate speed. Definitely a skid plate noise. I could easily duplicate it before going into the Costco gas station so I'll try again when I get gas next. If I get that same noise, I can tighten them up to 30ft lbs just to see if it goes away.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  19. Nov 6, 2023 at 6:33 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Sounds like you did it correctly.

I feel your pain. Having a weird noise drives me nucking futs

HuskyMike[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
To Top