1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Questions From A New Owner

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by CollegeT4REnthusiast, May 5, 2023.

1. May 5, 2023 at 7:38 PM
    CollegeT4REnthusiast

CollegeT4REnthusiast [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4th Gen 2004 4WD 4.7L V8 Dorado Gold
    Doug Thorley Headers, Stainless Exhaust System, FJ Wheels
    96C1D76E-02F8-4BBC-9FCD-13B4134ACBF8.jpg 0BB07BB0-833F-4FEB-A53E-3EE9B3BCFFD8.jpg Hello there! I’ve recently come into ownership of a 4th gen 4Runner, and am now working on fixing it up and upgrading it, and as such have a couple questions.

1. Post to Pre Facelift Sport Hood Compatibility
    I understand that a sport hood can be interchanged with a standard one, however I found a seller of a post facelift sport hood from a 2006. My runner is pre facelift, and the grill, headlights, and trim spacers are different. Would the hood itself be the same as my hood, and if so, could I just put my current grill in it and have it work perfectly?

2. Engine Vacuum Lines
    The two in the attached photos are desiccated beyond all belief and if I get them off, they can’t be put back on. What are the specs for these lines, or should I just order them from Toyota?

3. Hood Latch Thingy
    That in the other attached photo is the hood release latch clip, and it has been jury rigged with electrical tape for the moment. What is the part number for that so I may order a replacement I don’t have to re tape every few months?

4. Anything else I should be particularly aware of? I’ve already taken care of frame rust and the exhaust manifolds, and I know those are the most common, but is there anything else that I should take care of, or what would be some common cool mods that I need to do?

2. May 5, 2023 at 8:58 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    Yes, they are all identical, as far as fitment, from 2003 to 2009.
    The hoses you circled are evap hoses. You can use 3/8" (I think that's the right size) fuel line to replace those.
    6975920110 is the part number for the clip you need. Get familiar with this website - https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/locate?c=Toyota

It's a parts supplier for OEM parts, based in Dubai. Fast shipping usually and better prices, even with shipping, than most local dealers, even online.

Another one to get familiar with is https://www.rockauto.com/

When was the timing belt and water pump replaced last? You didn't indicate what your you have or V6/V8 but based off you first pic, you have a 2003 or 2004 non-VVTI V8 4runner. Timing belts are crucial to be replaced every 90k miles. With the timing belt, you also do the water pump and thermostat.

I wouldn't worry about mods until you know all the maintenance is up to date.

3. May 5, 2023 at 9:05 PM
    CollegeT4REnthusiast

CollegeT4REnthusiast [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4th Gen 2004 4WD 4.7L V8 Dorado Gold
    Doug Thorley Headers, Stainless Exhaust System, FJ Wheels
    Thanks man, you’re a lifesaver!

I’ve got a 2004 4WD 4.7 V8 non-VVTi with 210 miles on it at the moment.
    All maintenance is up to date, and the previous owner thankfully kept careful logs over all maintenance that was done. When I got the car I took care of the belts, the pump, and the thermostat. I also just replaced the alternator and the power steering pump as both were going bad. Gonna be replacing the back hatch as it’s rusting out, and then putting a new coat of paint on. Got a OEM spoiler for cheap too, so I’ll be installing that before painting as well.

xtremewlr[QUOTED] and gkomo like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top