1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prinsu rack water out of crossbar bolts and odd fading

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by itsmerf, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Jan 26, 2023 at 3:24 PM
    itsmerf

itsmerf [OP] lol

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR
    BP-51 CaliRaised Sliders Prinsu Rack Ugly Method 701's
    After rain or washing the car the bolts that hold the crossbars drip water (also I think out of the channels) and then leave nice water marks down the side...after rain its dirty streaks. Anyone else have this issue and solved it? Also, mostly one side of the rack is "fading" in spots. I attached photos that will hopefully show.

IMG_9377.jpg IMG_9379.jpg IMG_9380.jpg IMG_9381.jpg IMG_9382.jpg image.jpg

2. Jan 26, 2023 at 3:47 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    One of my favorite inventions lately are the li-ion battery powered leaf blowers. Super convenient to use for situations like this. I’d hit the channels and bolts with air after washing, and before towel drying.

Can you feel the discolored spots through the powder coat? It almost looks like the aluminum is corroding underneath it.

By the way, how do you like the rack? (Other than those issues). How did the install go?

RootedWanderer likes this.
  3. Jan 27, 2023 at 5:30 AM
    itsmerf

itsmerf [OP] lol

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR
    BP-51 CaliRaised Sliders Prinsu Rack Ugly Method 701's
    True on the leaf blower, although that alone is a bit annoying hahahaha.

Running my fingers over the side rail I don't think I feel any change in texture yet, or it's just too subtle to tell for now. This just showed up probably no more than a month ago. I wish they had the raw one when I bought mine 6 months ago!

The rack is fine, it's a rack I guess, I got the awning qr mounts and like that I can take the awning off when I want since it's pretty large. Nice to be able to climb up top and shoot photos from as well. No tent up there yet. Don't care what anyone says, there is added wind noise. It's minimal but it's there, however, I don't notice it anymore at all. Install was fine, I did it myself by mounting the side rails first then all the crossbars as opposed to building it on the ground and having someone help lift it up and over. I cant remember how long it took but I took my time and was in in rush on that afternoon. Prob. took a few hours for the rack and the c4 ladder and the only issue I remember having is how hard it was getting the front fairing on, that part really sucked so hindsight I would prob attach that as soon as possible on the installation. I can see why people build it up on the ground most of the time.

McSpazatron[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 27, 2023 at 5:58 AM
    PJSnow

PJSnow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PJ
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    I have noticed this issue with my Sherpa rack too. It seems to be some material coming from the screw holes. I did not notice it for the first few months of ownership, but after a few years, the streaking is evident and difficult to wash away. It could be galvanic corrosion between the aluminum crossbars and the dis-similar screws/hardware. The coating on the hardware will be stripped back when you tighten the crossbars down and even the small contact between dissimilar metals can experience galvanic corrosion. The water from rain or washing the car might just be bringing it to the surface.
    I don't expect the aluminum is corroding below the powder coating. There is no reason for that. But, I have not found a solution yet. Blowing it dry is not a practical solution because you would need to carry the leaf blower around for every rain event... Not sure if it would help or not but maybe a thread sealer or plumbers tape might slow it down? Maybe even anti-sieze could do the trick. I have yet to play around with it.

5. Jan 27, 2023 at 11:02 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    You’re probably right about the hardware. With all the screws, you’re bound to get galvanic corrosion, and just straight corrosion on the little bits of metal that is going to gall of of threads just from tightening down. Then that loose corroded metal is going to stain things as it gets wet.

Seems like any kind of utility rack is going to have this though. Steel, aluminum, powdercoated or painted. Too many interfaces to guarantee perfection.

Even something that is perfectly welded as a whole is going to wear paint off as it’s used.

Products Discussed in

To Top