1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

powder coating vs zinc plating

Discussion in 'Armor' started by StumblinBear, Jun 13, 2023.

1. Jun 13, 2023 at 4:49 PM
    StumblinBear

StumblinBear [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD-ORP
    Ironman suspension (front struts, rear shock and springs, and rear KDSS spacers), DrKDSS bits (KDSS front spacers, front and rear sway bar billet clamps, KDSS harness and switch, & BOTCK), Sumo Springs, Method 701 wheels with Falken Wildpeak 275/70R17 tires, Bison OffRoad StapCam bolts, welded on OPOR lower link skids, SonoranSteel rear trailing arms, BudBuilt rear differential skid, R4T High-Clearance exhaust and gasket, FourCam cabin vent cap, Spotter mirrors, KAON shock protectors, LFG crossbars, 9011/H11 halogen upgrades.
    Aside from cost, what are some disadvantages of zinc plating sliders?

Thanks

2. Jun 20, 2023 at 4:52 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I’m asking out of ignorance, but are there places that will do zinc plating for any regular joe off the street?

I think it would be a great option if it’s easily obtained.

3. Jun 20, 2023 at 5:33 PM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    They are two completely different processes and powder coating would be the more cost effective solution. You can try to anodize or zinc plate or even chrome plate your sliders, but it will be expensive and prep is key. Undoing zinc plating is also a difficult process vs sand blasting powder coating.

4. Jun 20, 2023 at 7:58 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Agree, and I think anodizing is typically done on aluminum vs steel. Powder coat or rattle can is typical go to for steel.

I had my sliders powder coated because I didn't want rust during shipment and storage before install. They probably need to be checked for rust, cleaned, and touched up. Hoping a rattle can matches the original PC or else I'm putting on a new full coating

5. Jun 20, 2023 at 11:43 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I’d love if zinc was an option. Of course, I have no idea how expensive that would be. And once it’s on, I dont see a reason to remove it. Isn’t zinc coatings paintable?

6. Jun 22, 2023 at 1:10 PM
    StumblinBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD-ORP
    Ironman suspension (front struts, rear shock and springs, and rear KDSS spacers), DrKDSS bits (KDSS front spacers, front and rear sway bar billet clamps, KDSS harness and switch, & BOTCK), Sumo Springs, Method 701 wheels with Falken Wildpeak 275/70R17 tires, Bison OffRoad StapCam bolts, welded on OPOR lower link skids, SonoranSteel rear trailing arms, BudBuilt rear differential skid, R4T High-Clearance exhaust and gasket, FourCam cabin vent cap, Spotter mirrors, KAON shock protectors, LFG crossbars, 9011/H11 halogen upgrades.
    There is one place here in Portland. Although there were more than three that said they DON’T do it for sliders or skids. Haven’t found out the price though…

7. Jun 22, 2023 at 1:12 PM
    StumblinBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD-ORP
    why might I want to “undo” it?

8. Jun 23, 2023 at 1:45 AM
    steelevo

steelevo Not so new anymore...

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner TRD Pro Solar Octane
    Maybe you don’t like the zinc or chrome color and want to powder coat in the future.

To Top