1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible tramlining

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by hal9thousand, May 12, 2023.

1. May 12, 2023 at 12:30 PM
    hal9thousand

hal9thousand [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner Limited V6 4WD
    Hey everyone,

New here so a quick intro. Just bought a 2007 4Runner Limited with only 75k miles. Completely stock. Amazing condition inside and out. Has the V6 as well as the XREAS suspension system (which I'm beginning to familiarize myself with). This is my daily driver but I do like to get out camping with my wife so I do go off-road occassionaly but I am by no means an "off-roader". My current plan is to mostly do technology upgrades, adding a backup cam and new headunit with carplay. The leather seats are also in great condition but I did buy Clazzio seat covers anyways to help protect them. Thats mosly it. I don't feel like I need to lift it at all as I like the stance.

That being said, I'm beginning to wonder if I need to replace the shocks...

I've noticed that the car moves or steers very easily, or rather is affected too easily when driving over any groove or ridge in the road or bump. My first thought was to get an alignment which it ended up needing but did not solve the issue. The shop when checking the alignment said the tie rods and ball joints were fine. There are no clunking noises when driving just the car overreacts when driving over anything so I end up having to steer too much just to track straight down the road.

First question; has anybody had a similar issue or have any insight? I'm thinking the suspension maybe going out which is hard to believe with only 76k miles but it is an older vehicle so age could be the problem.

Second question; If I do need to replace the shocks/struts and I don't feel I need to lift it at all, can I keep the stock coils and just replace the rear with 5100s and for the front since I don't really want to lift, (I don't mind leveling a little), can I get the adjustable 5100s, use stock coils on the .85 setting? Is this a good route?

Thanks to everyone for the insight!

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  2. May 12, 2023 at 1:48 PM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    That sounds like control arm issues.

Not shocks. With bad shocks you would float up and down.

3. May 12, 2023 at 7:33 PM
    gkomo

gkomo New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma AC 4x4
    My experience with tramlining was from too much camber… like where a smaller patch of tire tread is touching the surface. Granted, this was on a sports car, not a 4Runner. But, maybe check the alignment?

also, since you have the XREAS system it’s not just replacing the shocks, you’ll have to completely remove the XREAS system and then add the new shocks. Not that it’s a big deal but just don’t want you to think it’s a plug n play scenario.

4. May 12, 2023 at 8:59 PM
    hal9thousand

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I got an alignment but they said it wasn't too bad but that it did need it. It did help to a degree but its still a little wild over the road. Steering just doesn't feel as tight as I would like. I've also been watching videos about removing the XREAS. I have a pretty good idea how to do it and I'm honestly eager to get rid of it. Seems like more of a hassle to keep up.

5. May 12, 2023 at 9:02 PM
    hal9thousand

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That makes me a little more depressed than shocks. I'll have to start looking to see how to tell if the control arms are bad.

Do you think uneven tire wear up front could cause it? The tramlining that is?

6. May 18, 2023 at 7:52 AM
    hal9thousand

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I took it to the shop and they tell me the control arms, tie rods and ball joints all look good. The mechanic did say it could possibly be bump steer if one of the shocks is going out. I'll have to do more digging into this. I'm wondering if the steering rack has anything to do with this...

Another question; if I replace all the shocks, I was thinking to put 5100s all around. That being said, I don't want to lift the rear but I wouldn't mind leveling the front a bit. In order to achieve this, what does everyone recommend? Do I use a spring up front with the 5100s set to the 0 mark or another spring with the shock set to the .85 (or something different)? As far as the rear, what coils will retain factory height with the 5100s?

Products Discussed in

To Top