1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P2445 Toyota 4Runner secondary air injection pump stuck off?!

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Racso4Runner2, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Apr 7, 2023 at 8:18 PM
    Racso4Runner2

Racso4Runner2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '14 T4R Limited
    None
    P2445 Toyota 4Runner secondary air injection pump stuck off?!

Hey T4R community!

Recently I was told it's time to change the serpentine belt on 2014 4Runner which has 105K miles. We are spending this Easter weekend with our son and before we make the drive I ordered the OEM belt and decided to put it on myself. I've done this before on my Armada so I figured no to big a deal. It's a tight fit but I got it on. I pat myself on my DIY back and went to wash the vehicle. That's when both the Check Engine and TRAC light came on!! The T4R had no acceleartion. I stepped on the gas and it was go cart speed. I returned home and checked the diagram. Damn it! I went over and not under one pully and the belt wasn't tight enough. Fixed it. Then I tried again and both lights we still on. I grabbed my OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scanner and got the code P2445. The secondary air injection pump stuck off? I checked YouTube and all I found were replacing the air pump or taking it to Toyota. It was late now so, I decided I'll go to Toyota and maybe they can get us in and out so we can save the Easter weekend. Before I closed the hood, I saw a hose I disconnected so I could get the belt on was still off. (see pic). I connected it but, nothing changed. I sat in the 4Runner defeated and hopeless. Then, I played around the OBD2 scanner. I ran diagnostics again. Same results. I looked at the codes. I looked at the scanner menu. The I pressed ERASE CODES. (I just wanted to clear the memory and put the scanner back in the bag). And as soon as I pressed ERASE CODES, the Check Engine and TRAC lights turned off. I figured it just cleard the fault but didn't "fix" the problem. So I went for a test drive and the T4R had full power and was running normal! I don't know if it's an Easter Miracle or a reset happened and the electronics were indeed preventing the secondary air injection from working properly. I guess we're about to find out.

What do you guys think? Has anyone had this experience?

Toyota 4Runner secondary air injection hose.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
  2. Apr 9, 2023 at 6:19 PM
    Startrek

Startrek New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    what experience? messing with our runners? that's what it was bought for. $50K Toy-ota

3. Apr 9, 2023 at 8:25 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Glad you got it solved. It seems the codes were related to the hose to the air injection pump you forgot to reinstall? I suppose routing the belt under or over could cause problems, especially if it turned something backwards.

Products Discussed in

To Top