1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oh the stink!!

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by PhillySilver, Jul 18, 2024.

1. Jul 18, 2024 at 5:01 AM
    PhillySilver

PhillySilver [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2020 ORP
    I have a 2020 OPR which I don't drive as much as I might like and it *really* stinks inside. It is a musty smell and I just can't seem to find the source of and wanted to get some thoughts here of things I should be looking at.

The particulars of the case which could be in play here:

- Sherpa Crestone Rack
    - C4 Widdle Wadder
    - Sunroof
    - WeatherTec floormats
    - Carpets don't appear to be wet

Things I have tried:

- Reading the forums here to see what others have had success with
    - Pulled the headliner down thinking it was leaking around the rack mounting bolts. Hosed it down very well and no leaks that I saw
    - Hosed the area around the widdle wadder and no leaks that I could see around the rear hatch seal
    - Opened the sunroof and poured water into the track area. Drain(s) open and drained fine
    - Did the AC condenser flush service with the Toyota kit and changed the cabin air filter (several times)
    - Hosed off the seals around all the windows and doors thinking maybe it was leaking there. No water intrusion that I saw.

What I have not done yet:

- Checked the drain channel around the windshield (other than just with a hose)

Anyone have any thoughts on what else I should be trying?

Thanks in advance for your time

Bodie the Dog likes this.
  2. Jul 18, 2024 at 5:38 AM
    Grug556

Grug556 New Member

Member:
    Kings, Crestone Rack, Baja S8, Baja Fogs, Baja XL80s, Baja mini cubes, SPOD, ARB compressor, RCI full skids, ROAM box and stuff. ST Pros. Shrockworks sliders... GOAT armour
    any chance you have moisture due to temp change causing mold/mildew in your actual vents? Stupid idea, but have you run the system vents on super hot for like an hour to see if that helps? There are vent cleaners you can buy, ive used a few they last about as long as an air freshener would. See if heat will help to clean it, if not manually clean it. If its the vents.

icebear likes this.
  3. Jul 18, 2024 at 5:56 AM
    Grandpawmoses

Grandpawmoses Dirty Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R TRD Pro
    Too poor to buy anything now
    Run over a skunk?
    That stink don't wash of with water.

4. Jul 18, 2024 at 6:01 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    Is your 4R garaged? If so, do you ever allow it to bake in the sun for extended periods?

5. Jul 18, 2024 at 6:02 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Did you check the rear cargo area for moisture?

6. Jul 18, 2024 at 6:02 AM
    Beachguy

Beachguy Normal turned up too loud

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRP ORP
    There’s some conversation here somewhere about the sunroof drains getting clogged and dripping into the cabin. I’ve not had that issue but you might do a search and check it out. Good luck.

MEski4x4 likes this.
  7. Jul 18, 2024 at 6:08 AM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    I’ve seen different things come through our shop….

Found a squash under one of the seats decomposing.

A dead rodent in the A/c vents that died when caught between the mode doors.

Hope you get it figured out

mrmike7189 and icebear like this.
  8. Jul 18, 2024 at 6:16 AM
    PhillySilver

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2020 ORP
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Grug556
    I have not tried the vents yet, good idea and will give that a whirl.

Grandpawmoses
    No skunk. I know what that smells like. Had a dog get skunked once and took months for that to go away.

Daddykool
    Not garaged and bakes in the sun all day.

whippersnapper02
    Cargo area doesn't feel wet but I will give it another look. Going to really dig into it this weekend if I have time and weather holds up.

Beachguy
    Sunroof vents open. My son and I verified that a few days ago

9. Jul 18, 2024 at 6:47 AM
    LCJ77

LCJ77 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Gilbertsville,Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Ice Cap
    Ceramic Tint, D/S grab Handle, waiting for Brite Box Anytime, may add Raptor lights
  10. Jul 18, 2024 at 10:03 AM
    SmithJ

SmithJ Not a New Member

Member:
    Did you buy it new or did it have a stink when you bought it?

11. Jul 18, 2024 at 10:05 AM
    SmithJ

SmithJ Not a New Member

Member:
    I had a Ford Explorer one time that I thought reeked. Other people with me thought it wasn't as bad. Turned out the Steering wheel was filthy and since I was sitting in front of it I thought the car reeked. Cleaned the steering wheel and presto, no more smell.

12. Jul 18, 2024 at 10:15 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I have struggled with similar issues. Mine is 2020 and I'm the second owner. I have figured that the vinyl material on the seats is what seems to be the culprit. However, I wonder if in my case something was spill before me and hasn't been cleaned properly on the seats. I decided to pull the entire seat covers and clean up properly and upgrade to "new" leather and see if the smell goes away. Yes, expensive and frustrating as heck.

13. Jul 18, 2024 at 10:23 AM
    2016SR5P

2016SR5P New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5P 4WD
  14. Jul 18, 2024 at 11:02 AM
    salvojimmy

salvojimmy New Member

Member:
    Glen Allen VA
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5P
    No Mods Yet
    There is an OEM A/C refresh kit you might try

15. Jul 18, 2024 at 11:34 AM
    Manhattan

Manhattan New Member

Member:
    I can't offer any ideas to help with the cause, but I can offer a cure for the symptom - the smell.

My Land Cruiser had 39,000 miles when I bought it. Apparently, the previous owner smoked for 38,000 of those miles. The dealership ran their big fancy ozone machine and that got a lot of it. But every time I got in the truck on a hot day, it smelled like an ashtray.

I shampooed the carpets and cleaned every surface like I was trying to hide a homicide. Except the headliner. Don't clean that - the glue will later separate and it'll sag. And that sucks, 'cause that's where lots of the smoke goes.

I tried EVERY off-the-shelf odor product out there - Zep, Febeeze, etc. In retrospect, I should've done a YouTube vid "Top 10 Odor Products... That Do Nothing." The whole time, my wife was suggesting white vinegar (spoiler, that's the remedy). And yeah, the jokes came quickly "Dude, you didn't listen to a woman on the effectiveness of vinegar on odors?"

Here's what I did:
    - Large, wide bowl - like a mixing bowl - 2/3 full (so you don't spill) of white vinegar
    - Place in the truck - I put it up front; floor on the passenger side
    - Mix a diluted vinegar and water (insert joke) spray bottle; lightly (!) mist the headliner... LIGHTLY.
    - Parked outside, windows closed, 90+ degree day for a few hours
    - Started the engine, let the heat run full blast; recirculating interior air - 30 min.
    - Still running; ran the front and rear AC; fans on max, recirculating air - 30 min.
    - Shut it off, left it closed up 'til the next day.

Note: in the 100 Series Land Cruiser, it's next to impossible to access the cabin air filter. If you haven't yet, swap that out. I actually have no idea where that is in a 4Runner.

The next day the smoke smell was gone... and the truck smelled like vinegar. But that went away in a day or so. The smoke smell was either 100% gone or 95% gone. That last 5% was hard to tell. Some hot days I swear I could smell it just barely... but it could've been the memory... like PTSD (S is for smell).

16. Jul 18, 2024 at 11:47 AM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    When we took delivery of our new '16, my Wife was the first to fart in it. I told her that should have been let loose in the 'rape room'.
    That's the name that I gave to the finance office.

17. Jul 18, 2024 at 11:57 AM
    Number16

Number16 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner
    You could try something like this.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/stinky-be-gone-bag/

This reusable bamboo activated charcoal is an all-natural, non-toxic way to absorb and neutralize unwanted odors from your car or home. The breathability of the bag make is easy to use anywhere. You can reuse this bag for up to two years. Simply put your charcoal bag in the sunlight for a couple of hours each month which will help release all the odors it has absorbed. For best results, keep one bag in your interior cabin and one in the trunk.

[​IMG]

18. Jul 18, 2024 at 12:48 PM
    PhillySilver

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2020 ORP
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am the original owner of this truck and it has happened slowly over time. I really have to think it is water intrusion somewhere because it is that musty smell that comes with a leak somewhere so would love to find the source and treat the cause. Have replaced the cabin air filter (it is in the glovebox in the 4Runner btw), tried the OEM AC Refresh Kit and did what I thought was a pretty thorough leak check and came up with no smoking gun. I like the idea Manhattan laid out in his post and will give that a whirl once I identify and fix the cause.

19. Jul 18, 2024 at 3:50 PM
    kahunabob

kahunabob New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver 4Runner
  20. Jul 18, 2024 at 4:07 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    OP, by chance have you checked the A/C condenser drain tube to confirm that it drains to the outside of the cab?

21. Jul 18, 2024 at 4:28 PM
    Bodie the Dog

Bodie the Dog Danger Ranger!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TEP, 1994 SR5
    Shrockworks sliders & rear bumper, Toytec 3/2 lift, ARB diff mod, 8 pod RGB LED's, RCI steel front skids, Big Sky katana rack, Reese roof rack, cool stickers.
    Cat pee? Mine was trapped inside overnight and peed, maybe two years ago, on driver's floor area. I thought I got it, but just this week that same area got wet (forgot to drain my shoes after the river) and smell re-emerged. Grossola. So maybe some old smell that got wet again?

22. Jul 18, 2024 at 9:47 PM
    scottiezilla

scottiezilla New Member

Member:
    Need to do something for smoke
    Probably start with a defogger or put some red cedar chips in cheese cloth again to absorb

if not
    Ozone machine

any personal use with that defogger meguairs bomb thingamajig?

23. Jul 19, 2024 at 6:47 AM
    Grandpawmoses

Grandpawmoses Dirty Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2024 4R TRD Pro
    Too poor to buy anything now
  24. Jul 28, 2024 at 11:26 AM
    PhillySilver

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2020 ORP
    Update on this. After tearing out most of the interior parts in the back of my truck I found the source of the leak. It was around one of the mounts for the Sherpa rack. This is not Toyota's fault and this is not Sherpas fault - it was just one of those things. Took the leaking mount off, cleaned all around it and re-installed and squirted water around it and it looks to be holding. I will let it sit for a week or so while hosing it down every day to make sure it holds before putting back together. I have to replace the carpet pad on the back cargo area carpet but that is no big deal. Thanks everyone for the help here

If you ever wondered what the back of your 4Runner looks like with the interior parts removed here you go.

IMG_2141.jpg

Sin4R, Fu3lC3ll, glwood54 and 5 others like this.
  25. Jul 28, 2024 at 11:36 AM
    billum v2.0

billum v2.0 New Member

Member:
    Flyover Country
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    :bowdown: for your dedication to find the source/resolve rather than cover up the offending odor........especially seeing the extent of the commitment.

26. Aug 2, 2024 at 7:38 AM
    photo8

photo8 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    I had a similar musty odor problem with my 2018. Turned out rain water was getting in the rear passenger side door seal. While the floor mat and carpet felt dry, the insulation under the carpet was damp. Ozum air freshener and peeling back the carpet on a warm, sunny, day dried things out.

27. Aug 2, 2024 at 7:51 AM
    Cajunchuck

Cajunchuck New Member

Member:
    Arkansas, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    Common issue on Toyotas. Change the cabin air filter ans ALWAYS turn off the AC compressor a few minutes before you shut the vehicle down. If you don't the cold air condenses when it stops moving and moisture sitting there starts to mildew.

Sin4R likes this.
  28. Aug 2, 2024 at 11:27 AM
    Rocko9999

Rocko9999 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited
    Do not use these. I had a Tundra that has must/mildew smell and these made it worse.

To Top