1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to me 2006 4runner sport v8

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by gottmituns, Aug 4, 2024.

1. Aug 4, 2024 at 10:02 AM
    gottmituns

gottmituns [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    Hi everyone, first time poster, new to 4runners.
    I plan on picking up a 2006 4wd 4runner v8 with 170,000 miles next week.
    Looking to do some standard maintenance that hasnt been done in a while, transfer case oil, diff oil change etc and spark plugs.
    My question is do people change the boots for the plugs when they do plugs on these vehicles? Do they normally crack etc and need replacing. Also has anyone used/noticed an advantage to go to the ngk Ruthenium plugs over the Iridiums.. thanks for any info.

2. Aug 4, 2024 at 10:23 AM
    RichInKy

RichInKy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner V8
    I have a 2004 V8 SE with 146,000 miles. I changed the plugs once (used Denso Iridium), had the transfer case O-ring replaced 9/2019 (slow drip) so I assume oil replaced, diff oil is original. Do you know if it had the timing belt and water pump etc. serviced at 90,000? That's a must do. I use my T4R to tow my 2200 lb. bass boat and my 6500 lb. Airstream travel trailer. The iridiums have done well. I don't see any reason to change.

Boot is OEM. Plug torque 15 ft-lb, coil pack 5-6 ft-lb, dielectric into the boot but not anywhere on the metal connection to the plug. When I donated my '91 Camry to Goodwill in 2021 it still had the OEM boots, no cracks. I assume these will work just as well. :)

3. Aug 4, 2024 at 11:08 AM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    Welcome to the site

4. Aug 4, 2024 at 12:10 PM
    gottmituns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    Thanks fellas,
    Rich- water pump, timing belt were both done 40,000miles ago. Owner advises me i will need to replace the passenger side cv axle(seems like something i will tackle after watching a couple youtube videos) is one brand better than the other on these? Im seeing a few different options on Rockauto. I guess its a bit of a gamble how the seals look on the diff until i get in there..
    Ive also been advised theres a slow leak on the rear axle.. im assuming this is the same o-ring on the transfer case that your having issues with? Maybe im ignorant on this.
    Thanks again

5. Aug 4, 2024 at 12:23 PM
    RichInKy

RichInKy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner V8
    Timing belt service should have been done at 90K. If the engine is still running then I guess no harm, no foul. The V8 is an interference engine. I needed a CV boot replaced not too long ago and they just replace the axle too. I think it comes as a kit. My trusted, Toyota certified repair shop charged $445 last November for that. The other side has never leaked. The transfer case and rear axle I'm sure are 2 different things. The transfer case had to be pulled, in my instance. That was Sept 2019 for $1141. I've not had a leak on the rear axle anywhere, although I've read about others on a different forum. No leak on the differential but that nut looks really rusted. I'll wait until it needs to go back to the shop for something else, like the timing belt, and I'll have them see about opening that up. I've never had a vehicle that leaked the differential before nor have I ever had anyone replace that oil and I've run 3 vehicles up to almost 300K miles.

6. Aug 4, 2024 at 12:30 PM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker Old As Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    OEM cv axles are the best no aftermarket axle can compare, if yours are the original OEM axles and are not making any strange noises, the general consensus is to just reboot with new grease the original axles and will outlast any aftermarket axles by aq long shot.

If you do have the original axles but go the aftermarket route for new ones, DON'T throw away the original axles, there many people that will buy them and do the reboot to have an extra set or replacements for their T4R!!

7. Aug 4, 2024 at 2:42 PM
    gottmituns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    Wow thanks for that info on original axles being superior, im not buying from the original owner, so he doesnt know if the axle on that side has been replaced. Will it be marked in an obvious way that i will know if its OEM toyota or something else?
    Would most people consider it a shop job to get the rear axle seal replaced? I guess thats my next question lol

8. Aug 4, 2024 at 2:55 PM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker Old As Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    Post photos of your cv axles, no markings that I know of but they look different than most all aftermarket axles, I think you can replace the axle seal yourself without much trouble...but if the bearing needs to be replace as well and most times it does because the leaking fluid will "wash" out the bearing's permanent lubrication, it's a job for a shop, because the bearing has to be pressed off and the new one back on and it take a 20 ton press to do the job.

You can however take the axle and the new bearing to a machine shop and have them do the press work.

9. Aug 5, 2024 at 6:40 AM
    gottmituns

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    I will post a picture when i am able to. I was told its the outter boot thats gone(actually completely missing apparently) so I fear that the wheel bearing has probably taken on a bunch of crud and may need replaced as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top