1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 1st Gen Owner, System Flushing Help.

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by Beneeets, Jul 16, 2024.

1. Jul 16, 2024 at 10:59 AM
    Beneeets

Beneeets [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benito
    Vehicle:
    1986 4Runner
    None yet.
    Picked up an 86 a few weeks back from a guy that kept it at his house in Baja for the last 20 years. It wasn't running when I bought it and I believe it had just been sitting for a couple of years. Also not sure what frequency he had changed fluids, it still had a sticker from the oil changer that said next oil change should be in 2005 or at 150,XXX miles (currently at 153k mi).

I got it running, needed a new battery and I rebuilt the starter. Runs a little rough on startup, but actually runs pretty good once it's warmed up. I have also completely flushed the brake lines and replaced plugs and wires. My next steps are to change the oil, fuel filter, coolant, thermostat, tranny fluid, diff fluid, etc.

My question is, not knowing how long it had been sitting or the last time the oil was changed, should I consider doing an oil flush? Fuel system flush? I've read a few things about BG 44k and Seafoam for cleaning injectors, and something about adding a product to the oil then flushing. I have no experience with either types of flushing, anybody have any advice or hot tips? Thanks in advance!

2. Jul 16, 2024 at 6:11 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    I was taught a little trick by several professional mechanics for flushing the oil system: add a dixie cup's worth, ie a pretty small amount, of diesel fuel to the oil, with the engine good-n-warmed up, run for 3-5 minutes, then drain the oil. The first time I did that to the 87 4Runner I bought when I did the 100,000 mi oil change, and the crud that poured out was incredible to me. I'd been doing it to my pickup since I'd bought it, with 30,000 mi on it, and the oil that came out almost looked new. Not quite, but close. Still does, at 325,000 mi when I change the oil. It's awfully hard to find a dixie cup the last few (dozen) years. I just guesstimate the amount of diesel to add.

I've read that the Seafoam Fuel System treatment is very effective.

Good luck!
    Pat☺

Beneeets[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 16, 2024 at 11:41 PM
    Beneeets

Beneeets [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benito
    Vehicle:
    1986 4Runner
    None yet.
    I like the sound of this trick. Would I add it to the old oil that's been in there for god knows how long? Or do you think I should change the oil/filter, get it warm, add some diesel, and then change the oil/filter again?

To Top