1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My dealership oil change horror story

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Pavo, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Nov 16, 2020 at 10:45 PM
    Pavo

Pavo [OP] New Member

Member:
    So I've been having a huge pain in the ass issue with my tpms thinking it was a programming issue after I put on my wildpeaks (went to americas tire 3 times) they finally blame it on the module saying to bring it to the dealer.

Make an appointment tell them exactly what the problem is, they ask if I want the 5k service and I tell her no, I just changed my oil (I literally changed it on my own the day before). Long story short, americas tire fucked up and at least one of the tpms broke off but.. those idiots changed the oil!!

At first i tried not to get too upset even though the stupid service writer lady denied denied denied it even though it said it on the paperwork!! How do I know tbey changed it you ask? Well they put a 10k reminder sticker for one but they put the washer gasket on top of the one I already had for the drain bolt, in fact they put 2 more!!!!

So now i gotta go buy more oil and will have to change it again since I sure as hell won't let those fucktards touch it ever again, this was crown toyota in Ontario California btw

2. Nov 16, 2020 at 11:59 PM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Man...that sucks. They probably did the work you didn't even want just so they'd get paid by Toyota.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Sooooo many stories of dealer screw-ups on the simplest stuff.

Pavo[OP] and Toy4X4 like this.
  3. Nov 17, 2020 at 6:32 AM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    They wont send a senior tech to change the oil, it's always the youngest apprentice who just finished the car wash shift. The more I read about issues like this, the better I feel about doing my own thing.
    Still better than my Ram dealer service that sent me the truck back with the steering wheel mounted 90 degrees off center and telling me it is the road incline that makes it sit like that...

4. Nov 18, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    MAXIM

MAXIM New Member

Member:
    No, it's not much better than Dodge service. I had my 2004 in for dash recall while back and they screwed it up badly where bunch of things rattle under that dash now. When I brought truck back with 0900 o'clock appointment for reevaluation it sat there whole day and at 1600 service manager told me they ran out of time for it. When I asked if they confirmed rattles during the test drive he said they have even touched it. Wasted my fking time! I have not gone to Toyota dealer service ever since not even for recall on my 5th gen. I'll rather take my chances with air bag than with incompetent goofs at the Dealer Service, not just Toyota service (I had issues with Honda also where they broke windshield washer bottle during timing belt replacement and then claimed it was broken already). Do it Right DIY

5. Nov 18, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    I'm sure this is true. So it's a bit of the same as taking the vehicle to one of those quick oil change places. Do NOT do this.

Pavo[OP] likes this.
  6. Nov 18, 2020 at 3:43 PM
    LC24R

LC24R New Member

Member:
    Not Toyota but Jeep dealer: they put an extra 6 quarts of oil in without draining the old oil... When I checked later in the day, oil had already spewed all over the engine and under the hood. It was even overflowing from the dipstick. Took it back and the service manager tried to convince me that overfilling doesn't hurt anything. Asked why every dipstick I've ever seen says "Do Not Overfill" and only got a blank stare back. Why did they not catch the screw up themselves after checking the oil level? Because they didn't!

7. Nov 18, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I took my Corolla to a different dealership than I bought it from. Just rotate tires and oil change cause I was lazy. Well when I picked it up it had a shutter a 60 mph as soon as I got on the highway. Took it back next day had two bent rims said ok I left. Took it back and they said it had three bent rims. And tried to give me a four thousand dollar bill (true story). I bought three rims for a hundred each off of ebay. Had them mounted no alignment issue.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Nov 18, 2020 at 8:40 PM
    edgesalon

edgesalon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Te
    Vehicle:
    18 FunRunner :-)
    i had my skid plat bolt cross threaded by a local mom & pop shop in Anaheim Ca. where i bought new tires and when they did my alignment this sucked. when i called them on it they said they didn't touch or remove the skid plate to do the alignment. What a pain...

9. Nov 18, 2020 at 9:11 PM
    Antman

Antman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner off-road premium, 2022 Tacoma
    2021 4Runner: King Coilovers King rear shocks Camburg UCA’s Spc rear Trail arms Icon 52700 rear springs Icon panhard bar SCS Ray10’s Rci Sliders Rci Full Skids 2022 Tacoma Offroad: King Coilovers King rear shocks Deaver leaf springs Camburg UCA Scs Gen 5 Bamf front hybrid bumper Rci Full Skids Rci Sliders
    You think that’s bad! I went in for a oil change at 5k. Paid out of pocket to get it early. Didn’t do it myself due to sheer laziness. Anyways, bad mistake. At 10k I did my own oil change and they dicked up everything.

they over torqued the drain plug and didn’t put a washer on.

they overtorqued the oil filter housing cap warping the plastic. I had to beat the removal tool on and off. I was replacing with an aluminum one, but if I hadn’t planned that I would of been screwed.

they didn’t put the rings on the housing.

I took out 7.4quarts of oil.

Complete fuckery.

10. Nov 18, 2020 at 9:22 PM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    jeez O'pete..what a train wreck...I've been lucky, to avoid these kinds of screw ups...knock on wood...cripes !

11. Nov 18, 2020 at 10:07 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    And some wonder why a lot of owners skip the Toyota(duzn't)Care...

thirdyota likes this.
  12. Nov 18, 2020 at 10:15 PM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Toyota Care really only seems worthwhile if you're leasing the vehicle and don't actually care what they do to it since you're gonna give it back to them.

edgesalon and glwood54[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Nov 18, 2020 at 10:16 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    True. Good point.

Products Discussed in

To Top