1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My 3rd Gen

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by ipw21, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Apr 25, 2022 at 7:01 PM
    ipw21

ipw21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner Limited
    I have obtained a lot of helpful information from this forum over the last year while working on my 4Runner. Thought I would share what I have done over the last year or so as it may help others in the same situation. I found my 2002 Limited in February 2021 after many months of searching. It was a one owner at 113k miles. Had been well maintained and cared for. Frame and body are nearly pristine. Timing belt/water pump had been done at 100k miles. Had a new radiator and alternator installed for selling. The first thing I did was take it to my local Toyota dealer and had the lower ball joint recall done. Then I did the Tundra front brake upgrade with the 13WL calipers. Fluids, spark plugs/wires, battery came next. Made it through the winter and about a month ago decided it was time to tackle the suspension. Decided I would take the opportunity to upsize the tires a bit. This was my starting point.

Stock suspension measured 20.5 inches from the hub at the front and 19.5 inches from the hub at the back. Assuming the front was about at factory height, and that it probably came from the factory with about a one inch rake, I assumed I had about 2 inches of sag in the rear. Side to side were even front to back, no lean. After a lot of research I decided to go with OME 881 springs with OME shocks in the front and the 890 springs with OME shocks in the back. The drivers front coilover was a little longer than the passenger side and the drivers rear spring was longer than the passenger side. I bought the 10 mm trim packer for the drivers rear, but since with a full tank of gas the sides were even with the stock springs, I decided not to use it. I dropped the front diff with the kit from Toytec. This was the result.

So I now measure 22.5 inches in the front and 23.5 inches in the rear. Side to side the front and rears are even with a full tank of gas and a new 32 inch spare tire underneath. So I gained 2 inches in the front which was my target and 4 inches in the back, but since there was 2 inches of sag I gained 2 inches from factory height. I have a one inch rake which is exactly what I was going for. I decided I wanted bigger tires but did not want to try to fit 33s or deal with potentially needing to regear, so I went with 32s. I decided to go to a 16X8 wheel with a bit of a negative offset (10 mm) to clear my bigger front calipers and stay away from the upper control arm. After a lot of back and forth I decided on the Yokohama Geolandar AT G015 in a 265/75 which officially measure in at 31.7 inches. I was pleasantly surprised as these actually measured out a little over 32 inches on my own tape measure. So here is the final result. I did black out the chrome as well. Very happy with the results. With the new suspension and larger tires the ride is so much better. My wife doesn't mind riding in the 4Runner now.

Thanks for all the great info on this forum. It enabled me to do all this myself in my little workshop, including replacing my AC condenser that I drilled through trying to drill out a skid plate bolt.

Malinois38 likes this.
  2. Apr 25, 2022 at 9:24 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Kwik Fab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Multiple
    Skinny 33s easily fit and wouldn't require a regear.

Looks good anyway!

3. Apr 27, 2022 at 4:58 AM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    congrats ....looking good....gen 3's, are the best !

4. Apr 27, 2022 at 3:20 PM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    you're only limited to what you wanna do..by your budget....good luck

Products Discussed in

To Top