1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Multiple malfunction warnings

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Phattegra, May 26, 2023.

1. May 26, 2023 at 7:03 PM
    Phattegra

Phattegra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Offroad
    Hi, I own a 2022 TRD OR. Recently during a trip to Moab after driving through a deep puddle a few lights popped up on the dash. All-wheel drive system malfunction, and multi terrain select system malfunction. When I restarted the vehicle they did not come back on. When I got back home to Colorado I found that my front breather hose to the front diff actuator was unplugged. I ended up extending the breather hose line and changed my front diff fluid to ensure there was no water. Recently, I took another trip to the mountains and everything worked perfectly no issue. A week goes by and I start the vehicle and I get a new set of warning lights. Pre-collision system, vehicle stability control system and multi- terrain system. I turned off the vehicle and restarted and the lights were gone. Went for a quick drive and everything works fine. What could possibly be causing these warnings?

62BD3821-3F8C-465D-9C33-04F654EA495A.jpg

2. Mar 5, 2024 at 3:58 PM
    raimieb

raimieb Hobby Mechanic - Love Our 4Runner!

Member:
    First Name:
    raimie
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP 4x4
    Lots…
    Just had this today too. I read a few things on other forums.
    1. Gas cap problem. (I bought a new cap - not sure if it helped).
    2. Water causing a short on a few places:
    a.) wheel speed sensor harness in the rear (plan to clean and add dielectric grease)
    b.) trailer hitch light socket/harness. (plan to clean and add dielectric grease)

I had a super rainy morning here and this was the first time ever with the problem.

djwantke and Phattegra[OP] like this.
  3. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:21 AM
    Phattegra

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Offroad
    Here I am reviving this thread a year later.
    So long story short Toyota ended up replacing my front diff actuator. I have maybe put on 4K miles since the replacement. Recently I hit a trail with 9 water crossings and the vehicle was completely fine the remainder of the camping trip. Fast forward to a few days after my return and the malfunction lights are all on again! Toyota was nice enough to replace it free of charge last time but I am sure they won’t this time. If this is the same problem does anyone have any advice on keeping the actuator free from taking in water? Also I still have a breather that is routed all the way up by my battery. Thank you!

Old Tanker likes this.
  4. Jul 14, 2024 at 8:03 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    Do you think it might have failed because of water contacting the wiring vs. water entering the diff housing?

5. Jul 14, 2024 at 8:16 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I wouldn't assume right away that the issue is related to the actuator right away especially after it was replaced. I wonder if the reasons on the lights are a combination of codes for example, a vacuum being pulled somewhere. A small line could have been damaged in one of the crossings but the actuator won't know that. I know not an easy task but I would try to Inspect or pressure test anything around that area to make sure. I am assuming you have full blown skid plates throughout?

icebear likes this.
  6. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:39 PM
    Phattegra

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Offroad
    I do have RCI skids (engine, transmission and rear diff). I did clean off the breather hose today because it had a bunch of gunk on it. I did just remember something, the last trail we did was very dusty and my pre collision sensor came on and when we stopped to air up I cleaned it off with water and that fixed it. I wonder if it has to do with that sensor?

raimieb likes this.
  7. Jul 14, 2024 at 7:46 PM
    Phattegra

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Offroad
    The first time it was water getting into the actuator through the breather hose which ended up corroding the actuator. No water leaked into the front diff.

8. Jul 15, 2024 at 1:53 AM
    raimieb

raimieb Hobby Mechanic - Love Our 4Runner!

Member:
    First Name:
    raimie
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP 4x4
    Lots…
    I clean mine every so often to avoid this. Hope that clears it for you

9. Jul 20, 2024 at 8:43 AM
    Phattegra

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Offroad
    **Update**
    Finally ended up taking it into Toyota for the malfunction warning lights after not being able to clear them. Once again it was a ADD Actuator malfunction in my front diff. Graciously, Toyota covered it a second time under warranty. I guess from here on I will be avoiding those water crossings.

Mully410 and raimieb like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top