1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mud and snow

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Shredder, Jul 6, 2024.

1. Jul 6, 2024 at 8:47 AM
    Shredder

Shredder [OP] New Member

Member:
    I’m coming from a 4WD full size truck into a 2023 4Runner OR. In my truck with patchy snow and ice I shifted into auto, so my question is when do you shift into 4 Hi when it’s just patchy ice and snow.

Also in mud I tried to use momentum in 4HI to get through mud, but now with A track and multi terrain select is there a better option?

2. Jul 6, 2024 at 8:58 AM
    Jedi5150

Jedi5150 New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner ORP
    This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. If I'm driving down a road with patchy snow and ice, I don't use 4WD. If it turns into consistently more snow than dry pavement, then I'll often switch into 4WD (but not always, depends on the situation). And I'll also use it for very brief periods situationally, like if the streets around town are mostly clear but pulling into my parking lot at home or a business that hasn't plowed yet or something, I'll put it in 4WD just for the snowy lots.

I've never used Atrac for mud, but I've only used it a few times even on dirt roads, so I'm the wrong person to ask. I just use 4Hi and plenty of right pedal for mud.

3. Jul 6, 2024 at 9:00 AM
    joshdub

joshdub New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    With the appropriate tires I rarely engage 4wd on snow covered roads. I wouldn't bother in variable conditions

Shredder[OP] and Ripper238 like this.
  4. Jul 6, 2024 at 9:08 AM
    Strongarm

Strongarm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner
    I shift in and out of 4wd when the conditions require to. Usually when the road is covered with snow, and starting to slip.
    The factory Bridgestone tires are fair, so I won’t too fast until I replace them with a more aggressive trad pattern.
    As far as mud goes I try to avoid it. But if needed to I use the “track off button” and heavier throttle.
    I’m not sure how A Trac will work in mud as it slows the wheel with the less grip.

Shredder[OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 6, 2024 at 9:53 AM
    scanny

scanny New Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    search for youtube videos explaining A-TRAC and multi terrain select in details. In short multi-terrain select is A-TRAC allowing some wheel spin depending of mode. All those features are for serious off-road, they work only in 4Lo. If you can get through in 4Hi then you probably don't need A-TRAC.

As per snow patches personally I shift in 4Hi on country roads when I see patches started down the road so I can be more confident on high speed. For long time I drove over patches in 2wd, but once without any apparent reason I nearly got in accident when I hit show patch in 2wd and since then I always try to use 4hi for road with show patches for more stability.

Shredder[OP] and Jedi5150 like this.
  6. Jul 7, 2024 at 3:39 PM
    Shredder

Shredder [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks, I did watch some 4Runner in mud videos, I didn’t realize there are so many. Very cool, up to now I’ve only noticed rock crawling videos. One minor point you can operate multi terrain select in 4HI while in mud/snow mode, but that’s pretty much it, 4L for everything else. I could see it being helpful in deep snow or sand, not sure about mud, depending on the situation maybe.

I guess I’ve been spoiled with the auto4, or AWD and a bit rusty on part time 4 in snow. I guess this is still way better than my first 4WD’s that you had to lock the hubs in.

7. Jul 7, 2024 at 4:38 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    Patch ice and snow is fine for 4hi.

The 4Runner doesn't have enough torque to churn through mud in 4hi. A-Trac brakes the wheels to limit wheelspin, which is counterproductive in mud. You want to use 4lo, engage the rear locker, that's it. A-Trac should be off. Rev the engine as highly as needed to get the desired wheel speed. It's a Toyota V6, feel free to hammer it at redline all day. High engine speed (and consequently high water pump and transmission fluid pump speed) are beneficial to prevent overheating.

icebear and Shredder[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  8. Jul 7, 2024 at 6:38 PM
    Shredder

Shredder [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wheel speed and torque, makes sense especially when most of the off road features require 4L, thanks.

9. Jul 8, 2024 at 3:01 PM
    Shredder

Shredder [OP] New Member

Member:
    One more question, I took my 4r out today on some trails and had an opportunity to go through several fairly large mud holes. I’m still on stock Bridgestones so I was a little nervous. I tried just 4HI and 4HI with mts, (mud, snow mode) once each way each hole and both worked well. I used the throttle semi aggressively on both holes and it felt like I still had good control. . But after the mud hole I kept it in mts and I’ve read mts doesn’t work after something like 7mpg, but the mts light stayed on with higher speeds. Is this normal? No blinking light to show it has been deactivated? After I slowed down again, does it re-engage on its own?

10. Jul 8, 2024 at 3:19 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    On a quick glance on the owners manual looks like it only have a speed limit to engage.

upload_2024-7-8_16-18-40.png

icebear and Slopemaster like this.
  11. Jul 8, 2024 at 4:11 PM
    Shredder

Shredder [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks, as much as I read and watched videos, I missed that. Another cool feature that should be helpful for me. Lovin it.

12. Jul 8, 2024 at 4:44 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock

This is exactly how I operate mine as well. I shift in and out frequently, and if it's just patchy I usually leave it in 2wd. On the other hand, if you are going straight in its patchy, you CAN leave it in 4wd unless you're doing really tight turns.

As far as ATRAC, I would say no in the mud unless you're already bogged and have lost momentum. ATRAC works by grabbing the brakes of individual wheels, and mud you don't really want anything grabbiing the brakes and reducing your wheel speed.

If you have the rear locker, I would engage that in mud before ATRAC. Edit, I saw it above and I almost forgot, I concur with having it in 4 low in mud. I hardly ever use four high off-road actually. Unless I'm on flat dirt roads, I figure that if I need the four-wheel drive, I also need the low gearing.

13. Jul 8, 2024 at 5:33 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I agree with most of what's been said so far.

I just wanted to add that, if you want to use wheel speed to get through mud, make sure that traction control is completely disabled. You have to be completely stopped. Push and hold the Trac-off button until a second light pops up on the dash. Now you can have fun, and traction control will stay off until you turn it back on, or restart the engine.

Edit: I think those things turn off in 4lo automatically, so you're probably fine if you're already using 4lo.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2024
    Slopemaster and Shredder[OP] like this.
  14. Jul 8, 2024 at 5:44 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Just another note: MTS can limit throttle input, which I really don't care for in mud. I prefer 4lo or 4hi with traction control off, depending on the situation.

Shredder[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Jul 8, 2024 at 7:38 PM
    Shredder

Shredder [OP] New Member

Member:
    MTS actually worked well in mud, at least this time. But then so did 4Hi. The mud holes were on a mostly sandy two track road and up to about 40 feet long and where the road went through swampy areas. A lot of side by sides last weekend tore the trail up. The mud holes had ruts about a foot deep, maybe 15 inches and there was water in the ruts but not covering the road, so not terrible, but definitely enough to need 4wd. One mud hole had a slight bend on one end but i was able to turn through it and it tracked very well. Like i said i was impressed, especially with these crappy tires. BTW getting ko3’s later this week.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jul 9, 2024 at 5:47 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    5G 4Runner, 3G Tacoma on 35"s
    MTS affects multiple systems - throttle sensitivity, transmission shift points, etc. The traction aid aspect won't kick in if you're already moving with some speed i.e. your tires aren't slipping

Products Discussed in

To Top