1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motor Trend eviscerates Tundra on quality

Discussion in '6th Gen 4Runners (2025+)' started by Singleminded, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Dec 20, 2022 at 10:57 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Hopefully this isn’t a bad sign for the 6th Gen. But it probably is.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-toyota-tundra-trd-pro-hybrid-first-test-review/

Some quotes from the review:

Most troubling, though, were multiple quality issues. One editor managed to overheat the transmission, an issue that didn't crop up in any of the other six trucks we ran through the same course. The articulation test elicited concerning metallic clunks and scraping sounds from the undercarriage. Some online digging found forum members who blame the problem on a skidplate that rubs against the frame.

Three of four doors sounded normal, but the rear driver's side door closure emitted a noise features editor Scott Evans likened to "an old metal garden shed" and head of editorial Ed Loh called a "hollow, cheap, sheetmetal-flexing ka-thunk." No other Tundra we've driven has this issue; perhaps our TRD Pro missed out on some internal sound deadening or similar mitigation at the factory. Other staffers mentioned inconsistent panel gaps, mediocre interior quality, squeaky rear seats, a shaking tailgate, and frequent infotainment system crashes.

The ride sends a constant jiggle through the cabin even on relatively smooth roads. Body motions aren't particularly well-controlled, either.

The TRD Pro is also noisy inside. We noted abundant wind noise, plus tire roar from the all-terrain rubber. Additionally, Toyota pipes a grumble of fake V-8 engine noise through the audio system. It sounds convincingly burly, but we wish we could rein it in for a quiet drive.

Finally, there's the towing behavior. With 10,000 pounds behind the TRD Pro, we encountered significant axle hop, and the rear end of the truck felt bullied around by the trailer. The hybrid powertrain, although smooth, was noticeably burdened by a trailer more than 1,000 pounds shy of the vehicle's quoted capacity. The steering felt concerningly light versus the unladen truck, as well, and the tow backup assist was tricky to find and minimally useful when we figured it out.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    werlyb23 likes this.
  2. Dec 20, 2022 at 11:25 AM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    I have been frequenting the forum and there appears to be lots of interior trim issues among basic QC items being missed before delivery.

Was once going to get out of my earlier Tundra and "upgrade" but have put that on hold to see what the future holds in regards to these issues being corrected.

Crossing my fingers and hoping this doesn't tarnish the brand to awfully bad.

3. Dec 20, 2022 at 12:04 PM
    Pavo

Pavo New Member

Member:
    The current gen 4Runners have issues mine included I can only imagine all the bugs and kinks the 6th gen will have not to mention the poorer quality of the build overall

4. Dec 20, 2022 at 12:32 PM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    I too am concerned with the build quality on future models. My 2021 had way more interior rattles than my current 2022.

The most annoying ones have been taken care of, I just always cringe on a cold morning, Hoping another creak/rattle doesn't rear its ugly head.

Pavo likes this.
  5. Dec 20, 2022 at 5:10 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    I have seen lots of QC issues posted online, new platform so I would expect some things to happen. But some of the things how could you miss, like one guy had a rear door panel that was a completely different color. Toyota better get things together at that plant. the trans cooler I can also see that because Toyota doesn't run a proper cooler, what they have works for commuting but when it's time for truck duty things heat up quick. The other two things they hit it for like the ride and trailering I feel is because they have decided to use that one TGNA platform and make it work for multiple vehicles. Problem with that is then the Tundra has to sacrifice in certain areas because it's really on an SUV platform. A landcruiser and a Tundra to different things to make them share a platform only makes the Tundra good enough in certain areas and it shows when compared to the competitors in its class. I think the next gen Tacoma and the T4R are supposed to ride on TGNA as well.

6. Dec 20, 2022 at 6:37 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Ouch! And worst of all (ok maybe not worst) is the idiotic decision to pipe in fake engine sounds through the speakers. Unbelievable that car manufacturers are doing this. Hard to believe toyota does this too.

edit: I also seem to be out of touch…70k base price?????

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  7. Dec 20, 2022 at 7:05 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 GX460
    In what world are people such fucking poseur losers that they would want fake exhaust noise pumped through the audio system?

8. Dec 20, 2022 at 7:11 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Fuck, am I going to have to start buying Nissans? :anonymous:

So, yet another thread about the new Tundra and quality issues. I'd sure love to know how much of a problem it really is. Hopefully, these are just first year issues. But we'll see.

It sounds like the 4runner will continue to be made in Japan. So, that should help.

kolter45, bigmario73, 5six and 2 others like this.
  9. Dec 20, 2022 at 7:12 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Yeah, that's about the lamest thing I've ever heard.

10. Dec 20, 2022 at 7:14 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    I dont know, but ever since I heard BMW was doing this years ago, followed by others, I’m in awe that more people don’t find this trend just plain dumb. It’s literally fake, and covers up exactly what somebody who cares about sound wants to hear. On principal, this is stupider than squat trucks.

Newfy, Bodie the Dog, Spydr5 and 6 others like this.
  11. Dec 20, 2022 at 7:17 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Agreed! Even if I had a shitty sounding engine (most v6s) I would still rather listen to that than some fake engine noise pumped in through the stereo.

12. Dec 20, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    Singleminded

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    This was actually one of the big reasons I dumped my BMW M235i. It was an incredible machine — rear wheel drive, manual trans, fabulous brakes, tenacious grip and a strong and beautiful straight six. But there was no way to kill the fake engine sound without hacking the computer. You could pull a fuse, but it would kill the whole radio and infotainment. Also annoying was the programmed exhaust overrun burble. The sound was real, but it was engineered in to happen exactly the same way all the time. So it was really just a gimmick too. So disappointing. The car I traded in for that BMW, a 2015 GTI, also had it. Not a fake sound pumped through the stereo, but rather a vibrating hockey puck type device that sat up in the cowl. Still fake.

Sadly the new BRZ / GR86 twins also have fake engine sound. But thankfully you can disconnect it in about 5 minutes without screwing anything else up. And the dealer can turn it off too. I had mine turned off before delivery. I didn’t even want to know what it sounded like. The whole thing is ridiculous.

13. Dec 20, 2022 at 7:34 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    I know!!! Who say’s, “oh that’s not the real sound? Sounds pretty cool.” Nobody.

This is pure deception!!! Car manufacturers either need to own shitty sounding drivetrains, or do something about it. If someone tells me I’ve fallen in love with fake engine sounds, I’m liable to go full columbian coffee crystals!

14. Dec 20, 2022 at 7:37 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Wow, that's ridiculous, and sad!

That was the appropriate response to the situation.

15. Dec 20, 2022 at 7:39 PM
    Singleminded

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Sadly, I see some people on the GR86 forum who like it. True, the natural sounds coming out of that Subaru boxer engine ain’t the best (though actually it’s pretty damn zingy once you’re over 5000 rpm — and it don’t redline until 7500) but it’s frustrating to know that the fake sound is really just a penny pinching move. I gladly would have paid a few hundred more for a better tuned exhaust and intake, or to have the intake ported in like they used to.

Bottom line is it’s an insult to one’s intelligence — and simultaneously proof that, well, some people deserve the insult :D

jharkin, 2Toys, Thatbassguy and 2 others like this.
  16. Dec 21, 2022 at 4:12 PM
    mrmike7189

mrmike7189 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 silver SR5 4x4
    A guy at work has a Tundra SR5 base model. It has the twin turbo V6. crappy all season street tires (on a 4x4!) I would have wanted the V8 from last years model. Lots could go wrong with a 1st year model and a turbo failure would be pricey to repair after warranty expires.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  17. Dec 21, 2022 at 6:08 PM
    IVRunner

IVRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP Lunar Rock
    Funny (sort of) you should mention this. I just got a quote of over $4k for turbo repair in my F-150. I was hesitant to buy a turbo V-6 over a normally aspirated V-8, but we were going for max tow capacity so the turbo won. I should have trusted my instincts. I hope Toyota isn't following in Ford's footsteps.

Singleminded[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  18. Dec 21, 2022 at 6:12 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I really hope the turbo problems are just 1st year issues. The turbo 4 we're supposed to get in the 4runner sounds fantastic on paper. Hopefully Toyota can figure it out.

19. Dec 21, 2022 at 7:01 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 GX460
    I put a lot more trust in Japanese turbos than American, esp Ford. Sorry fanbois.

7385 and Thatbassguy[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Dec 21, 2022 at 7:10 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    It's a great point. As garbage as I think the 4.0 sounds, I would rather listen to that than some fake soundtrack pumped in through the speakers.

I think they do these things because of auto journalists. Auto journalists are arguably more enthusiasts than the majority of the general public, so while they care what certain vehicles sound like, the people buying them probably really don't care. So if a bunch of auto journalists say "oh this powertrain is great, too bad it doesn't sound good", Toyota things okay, we need to add in that sound. Personally, if I'm missing that V8 sound, I rather hear no sound at all.

21. Dec 21, 2022 at 7:13 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Turbos don't necessarily have to be problematic. I have an 07 Volvo cross country with a 2.5 L turbo, 232k miles and counting on the original turbo with no issues. I absolutely love this motor, it has such a great driving character.

Thatbassguy and Singleminded[OP] like this.
  22. Dec 21, 2022 at 7:55 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    The problem I see with the turbo 4 is I think it was designed primarily as a car engine. Then Toyota is going to place it in a bof vehicle and expect it to do truck duty. I will have to research that turbo 4 more but I'm pretty sure I read it was coming over from the Lexus car line.

rickystl likes this.
  23. Dec 21, 2022 at 8:15 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 GX460
    No I agree. I have a turbo Subaru and similarly enjoy the engine characteristics and expect them engine to be pretty durable. I just don't particularly trust domestic gas turbo engines especially the small displacement Ford versions pressed into truck duty.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  24. Dec 21, 2022 at 8:18 PM
    TX4runner21

TX4runner21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B-Rod
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 V8 4x4 T4R
    Fox Suspension, LFD Rack, Magnaflow Muffler
    Nah, there’s just too many people who get upset over new tech and don’t want to move forward, that’s the companies attempt to retain some old feel to it. Just like when FI came out.

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Dec 21, 2022 at 8:24 PM
    TX4runner21

TX4runner21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B-Rod
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 V8 4x4 T4R
    Fox Suspension, LFD Rack, Magnaflow Muffler
    With quality control, where tf has everybody been? The fucking Tacomas still have issues stretching 2 generations lol. Toyota has never been known for their interiors, if you want a quality interior buy a Lexus!

26. Dec 21, 2022 at 8:45 PM
    Singleminded

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    It's helpful to distinguish durability from other measures of quality. We have every reason to expect our 4Runners to be exceptionally long lived. But that doesn't mean they don't have either reliability or other types of QC problems. My 4R's battery died after just 4 days sitting in the garage in normal temps, only several months old. I suspect from a poorly programmed Connected Services draining the battery while on some broken-record type of data loop with the mother ship. I've had it fail to shut down when opening the door after remote starting from the key fob. Then for it to fail to restart immediately after that, from either the key fob or the push-button start. Presumably that is also from poor software.

Those are significant reliability issues. I never had anything of the kind on two BMWs totaling about 110K miles. Honestly, of the 5 new cars I had prior to this truck, only one had significant issues, and they were limited to warning lights, weird radio behavior and infotainment crashes (2015 VW GTI).

But if I'm looking for a vehicle that should last 200K or 300K miles without huge repairs, well the 4Runner is sure as heck more likely to do it than any of my BMWs, VWs or Subarus. What I think we're all wondering if whether these newest Toyotas might be a bit more like those other cars than like our 5th Gens.

McSpazatron, 7385 and 2Toys like this.
  27. Dec 21, 2022 at 9:02 PM
    siblue

siblue Well-Known Honda Butt Pirate on GRC forum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    24 Land Cruiser
    Recently bought a turbo tundra and absolutely love it over the Tacoma.
    Motor Trend loves Korean cars so their opinions don’t matter.

28. Dec 22, 2022 at 2:42 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Why do you think it was developed as a car engine? It's been used in SUV's, mostly, as best I can tell.

It makes peak torque (over 300 lb/ft) at ~1700 RPM's. Reliability aside, it's a much better truck motor than we have now.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    Trail Runnah likes this.
  29. Dec 22, 2022 at 2:59 AM
    5six

5six New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    55_4Runner
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black TRD ORP
    Ceramic tint (all glass), Toyo AT3s 285/70 C load, Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, Ironman UCA, Cartrimhome TRD skid plate, RCI skids (rear diff, transmission, filler plate, catalytic anti theft), SwitchPro 9100 & MT Plate, Caliraised ditch lights & brackets, Caliraised molle panels, Sherpa roof rack, Westcott ladder, Weathertech window visors, Meso & LED interior bulbs, black badging, Weathertech mats, Husky cargo liner, Canvasback rear seat backing, Smittybilt 2781, Morrflate Quad, ARB Diff Breather, Ultimate9, TRD Pro rims, GTR Carbide headlights, DIY Knight Rider light strip.
    Actually most people like it, and most don’t realize it’s amplified sound or just all out fake. I don’t, it feels like cheating plus poser-ish. It’s funny how some reviewers continue to say “this car sounds great”. It helps to get the customer have an emotional attachment to the car. I’m old school, HIE (headers, intake, exhaust) on past cars. The smell of burning oil, hot rubber and high octane fuel at the drag strip. And if the motor sounds like crap, then leave the exhaust stock, and keep it quiet. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

McSpazatron[QUOTED] and Henry J like this.
  30. Dec 22, 2022 at 3:04 AM
    5six

5six New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    55_4Runner
    GTA, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black TRD ORP
    Ceramic tint (all glass), Toyo AT3s 285/70 C load, Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, Ironman UCA, Cartrimhome TRD skid plate, RCI skids (rear diff, transmission, filler plate, catalytic anti theft), SwitchPro 9100 & MT Plate, Caliraised ditch lights & brackets, Caliraised molle panels, Sherpa roof rack, Westcott ladder, Weathertech window visors, Meso & LED interior bulbs, black badging, Weathertech mats, Husky cargo liner, Canvasback rear seat backing, Smittybilt 2781, Morrflate Quad, ARB Diff Breather, Ultimate9, TRD Pro rims, GTR Carbide headlights, DIY Knight Rider light strip.
    Regarding Tundra quality issues, a big part of that is the impact of the pandemic. Resources strained and it affects also their supply chain of parts. Not enough hands on deck or sets of additional eyes to review before continuing to build or loading them up to distribute.

To Top