1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

MOLLE panels - Worth and Utility

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by BeavertonCommuter, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Nov 5, 2021 at 3:24 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

BeavertonCommuter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Im considering MOLLE panels for the rear of my '21 ORP, but Im trying to figure out if I have a use for them and looking for help in not spending $300+ for them.

I see their utility to have ready access to items we might commonly use as we're off-roading, e.g., flashlight, gloves, straps, etc., but, does having them up on a MOLLE panel work more effectively or efficiently than having them in a soft bag or hard box in the back? Maybe if youre packed up with camping stuff, right?

But, man, these things seems expensive, especially Rago. In lieu of purchasing from an outfit like Rago, are their online plans for DIY MOLLE panels that I might then engage a local fabricator on?

Any other advice you might have to help in considering whether to get some or not?

Thanks.

2. Nov 5, 2021 at 3:47 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I think they're great if you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket that you absolutely can't think of anything else to spend it on. Personally, I think they're kind of cool in theory, but I don't think I'll ever spend that much money on them unless I could make them myself.

I keep gloves, my tire deflators, fire extinguisher, flashlight in my front door pockets. Strap, shackles, etc can go in a soft bag easy portability, just grab the bag and go.. I actually keep my strap and a couple soft shackles in the little storage cubby below the rear window on the passenger side, fits in there great. I also have a hatchet back there in that spot too, and then I keep my soft sided tool bag on the floor right below that, in the little cut out where the cargo tie down is.

I keep a small first-aid kit in my passenger door pocket, and then I have a larger one that I keep under the driver side seat, though I could also attach it to the headrest if I wanted to. I'm not a big fan of leaving things exposed though, this is my daily driver.

I think having a first aid kit, tools, fire extinguisher, strapped up on those panels would be more of a pain, because now it takes longer to get it when you need it, and more time to put it away. Also, once again people can see all that stuff through your windows, so now maybe it's a target for theft.

That's just my opinion though, I've never used them so I can't say for sure.

3. Nov 5, 2021 at 4:36 PM
    lowflyer

lowflyer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP w/ KDSS <2021 Venture w/o KDSS <line of Tundras
    I regret having spent money on them. When you have stuff hanging off of them it looks cool, I guess, but to me it looks like clutter. Mine are now at the bottom of a closet:)
    Just MY opinion folks; don't get upset:)

Mine are for sale, but they are heavy and would be a pain to ship.

4. Nov 5, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    I got mine used. I’d never pay retail for them. They’re great and mine freed up a lot of space for small shit I never use.

5. Nov 5, 2021 at 6:50 PM
    jetmechG550

jetmechG550 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2021 Off Road Premium
    Bought the Rago and the shelf and have 0 regrets. The 4R has shit for storage. I drive a lot, sit around a lot and just being able to have things there at the ready not taking up valuable (limited) cabin space is a godsend. I hated my Yukon XL but the rear underfloor storage was probably one it's nicest features. For the record the Victory system and shelf look good too and had I not hit a sale with Rago I considered it. They were my two choices because I have three labs and I needed room for them to be able to sit in the back with headroom

Fltslr likes this.
  6. Nov 5, 2021 at 6:58 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I just got a set for 300 bucks from Caliraised LED. I like that design the best because it goes nearly down to the top of the wheel arch cubbies. I was planning on strapping my jackery 240 to it while it rests on the cubby. Also was planning to have use them for a bigger first aid kit, fire extinguisher, straps, shackles and whatever else needs to be up and out of the way while camping. Looking forward to getting them. I’ll post back if I regret it.

7. Nov 5, 2021 at 7:55 PM
    Cowboy59

Cowboy59 Enjoy the Adventure

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off-Road Premium w/ Predator package & KDSS
    I bought and installed the Rago molle panels. They were a little pricey, but high quality. I found them very useful once I bought some smaller molle bags on Amazon to put items in them (tools, bungees, etc. That made access to smaller items much easier to access, than by mounting each item to the molle panel. I do mount things, like my hiking poles, directly to the panels. The panels get all those types of items off the 4r deck and make packing larger items much easier.

You can find my install of the panels here: Cowboy's Build

8. Nov 5, 2021 at 9:45 PM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
    I have home made shelf hanging on my Molle's. I used old water bed brackets and plywood. Works great for keeping stuff organized while camping, hunting, fishing, etc. High enough to put a cooler or 2 underneath with gear on the shelf.

9. Nov 6, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    Moon Landing

Moon Landing AFFTC 1967/68 Eddies Air Patch

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    La Quinta, Ca. AKA "The Skillet"
    Vehicle:
    Moon Rock 4Runner
    Nam 68/69
    If a true need for them arises. You'll know it. Example, I needed mine more for the shelving than to attach things to, but I did take advantage of the extra space they provided to attach things.

In short, if you needed them. You would know it.

10. Nov 6, 2021 at 7:21 AM
    Zal4R

Zal4R New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 LR TRD Pro
    Eibach TRD Pro Springs RCI Skids
    Thought about it for recovery gear once, but I just put it in a case instead and strapped it to the floor. My biggest concern, other than cost, was what happens if my side curtain airbags ever have the need to go off.

BeavertonCommuter[OP] likes this.
  11. Nov 6, 2021 at 7:28 AM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    If you're crafty and not bent entirely on looks (they are cool looking) you can fab something, that will serve the same purpose, out of 1/2" PVC then secure to the 1/4 glass window pane using heavy duty suction cups such as these:

https://www.amazon.com/FCHO-Suction-Aluminum-Vacuum-Lifting/dp/B07HNRB2CJ?crid=1H7P97E2EU5I6&keywords=suction+cups&qid=1636208579&sprefix=suction+cups%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-5

Note: these suction cups are awesome and can be acquired in a variety of colors.

When I first got my 4runner and realized the severe lack of storage area I fabbed out a molle panel using PVC - then I got sidetracked and built a box for storing the "essentials". I still may employ one PVC molle before the Utah trip.

BeavertonCommuter[OP] likes this.
  12. Nov 6, 2021 at 10:58 AM
    jetmechG550

jetmechG550 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2021 Off Road Premium
    There's airbags in the cargo area side glass? FWIW, Rago just shared a picture of a 4R that rolled on his Instagram page

13. Nov 6, 2021 at 5:32 PM
    roc

roc New Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD ORP
    I was just looking at those.
    On sale now for $297 but they wanted $116 to ship.

Han4Run likes this.
  14. Nov 6, 2021 at 6:59 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    CaliraisedlLED has them with free shipping!

Caliraised OffRoad is actually a different company selling the same panels, except they charge shipping. I was gonna order from them (thinking it was the same conpany), but hard pass when I saw 97 bucks for shipping.

roc[QUOTED] and Moon Landing like this.
  15. Nov 6, 2021 at 10:37 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Hmmm. I didnt even think of this. The pictures seem to show they deploy behind the panels…. Anybody have instagram to see what they are saying in the discussion?

16. Nov 7, 2021 at 4:09 AM
    Kyblack76

Kyblack76 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Layton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD O.R
    To each their own,.....

For me, i LOVE the stuff. Im getting more,.. way more.
    20210614_140350.jpg 20210518_131150.jpg 20210518_132656.jpg

17. Nov 7, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    I mean, that’s cool and all, but I wouldn't be able to get to my Rand McNally road atlas that I keep in those back pockets.
    :p

Storm Runner333, K-Paul and BearBio like this.
  18. Nov 7, 2021 at 10:24 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    Just did 4K miles through the Cascades, Sierras, and Rockies. Crossed the Divide at least 5 times. Had a first aid kit, retrieval gear, two side arms (we have CCW for 1/2 the states we traveled in), my walker and clothing. Snow, rain, strong winds. Also, carried a portable CB, besides cells.

Used my Rand McNally more than anything shown. Were in some backcountry but never felt I needed an AR.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  19. Nov 7, 2021 at 10:45 AM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    Power Commander, LED lights upgrade, Eibach Pro Truck Series suspension upgrade (front & rear), Airbags (rear), dash integrated trailer brake control, Body Armor front bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch
    Sounds like you put a lot of stock in your Rand McNally - do you use it as a supplement to your GPS or visa versa?

20. Nov 7, 2021 at 11:22 AM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    I'm old-fashioned. Was taught (Boy Scouts, U.S. Army) to use maps, so I use what I am accustomed to. Use U.S. Geo topo maps off-road. Use Lorme Atlases within state (and adjoining), but Rand McNally for longer trips on highway. I even know how to use a lensatic compass ;-).

We had the Lorme Atlas lead us astray once. Was reviewing various sites for a new reservoir for USBOR (Reclamation) and followed a jeep trail through some farmland, when we started seeing burned out cars, ammonia tanks, burned homesteads. Then lots of dogs (Rotties and pits), a few trailers that looked occupied with curtain movements but no one visible. We were in gov't vehicles and I was senior personnel, so I told everyone (holding the radio mike in my lap) not to use or answer their cells and for us to back on out!

On our trip, took me two days to figure out how to turn off the voice on the on-board navigation (it had us going to Vegas on I-15 and we wanted to go to Apple Valley.)

ridgeline001 and McSpazatron like this.
  21. Nov 7, 2021 at 12:26 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Sure is nice to have paper for backup at the very least. Im old enough to have learned navigation before gps was widely used.

One thing I find handy with paper maps is the at the planning stages. It’s so much easier to develop situational awareness over the area you’re traveling. Also helps just with figuring out where you want to go.

Gps/moving maps are really nice for the nitty gritty when you are navigating at a 1/4mile scale, and trying to find little trails here and there one right after another, and dont want to stop to pull out a map. The MVUM maps the dept national forest makes are perfect in map apps like avenza.

22. Nov 7, 2021 at 3:03 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    As far as molle panels - I made this for probably around $50.

20211107_160451_HDR.jpg

All of the connections are 1/4-20 hardware, so I can thread whatever I want onto it. It's certainly handy for holding things that I want to keep readily accessible.

20211107_165659_(1).jpg

It's a little crude, but it works. With a little more effort, one could make it pretty fancy.

Trail Runnah and McSpazatron like this.
  23. Nov 7, 2021 at 3:10 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    You could eeaaaasily class that up with some hard-mounted Mickey’s sized insulated cozies. ;)

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Nov 7, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    Sandbuster

Sandbuster Breaking Wind

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Offroad
    I LIKE IT! It's amazing what we can come up with when we step away from the credit card and use our God given creative genius to come up with something cheap and functional.

25. Nov 7, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Now we're talking! Have actually been liking Mickey's as a cheap alternative to the types of beer I normally drink. :)

Thank you! I couldn't justify paying for the brand-name ones because I wasn't sure if I would use them at all. As it turns out this one has been very handy for me.

26. Nov 7, 2021 at 3:57 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    I most certainly did not object to the Mickeys you shared at the last Fluid Film party lol. Heck, this weekend I went through a 6 pack of Hamms, “the beer refreshing.” It’s good to mix it up…

How I went from Rand McNally, to Mickeys in a MOLLE thread, Im not sure. Back to your regularly scheduled broadcast :D

27. Nov 7, 2021 at 4:01 PM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    I bought them for my '20 pro. I won't buy them for my '22. Not worth the cost just to display what I have I the vehicle.

Trail Runnah and Thatbassguy like this.
  28. Nov 7, 2021 at 5:13 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    :rofl:

29. Nov 7, 2021 at 7:27 PM
    Fltslr

Fltslr the last hurrah

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock 4runner Pro
    I have 4 dogs, so they, along with the Rago shelf, left the rear floor free. No regurts

30. Nov 8, 2021 at 12:08 PM
    BeavertonCommuter

BeavertonCommuter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Did you also fab up the fishing rod holder I see in that top picture?

Products Discussed in

To Top