1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mice inside the runner!

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by 3rdgenbestgen, Jul 11, 2024.

1. Jul 11, 2024 at 6:31 PM
    3rdgenbestgen

3rdgenbestgen [OP] New Member

Member:
    I live in the country. I hadn’t driven the runner in about a month because of a tire issue.

I did notice a piss smell here and there even a few months ago, then driving it yesterday the smell was BAD. I had seen some droppings here and there and just figured maybe some mouse pee had gotten into the carpet in the far back.

So I ripped that out, still a pee smell. It wasn’t until I pulled back the plastic that covers the outside air vent that I realized they had a nest there. Also the air vent has giant gaps directly outside, which is just like putting a welcome mat for every mouse in the tri county area.

https://youtube.com/shorts/T0b6siXkq2k?si=5ud88u59q49yzz5H

after I cleared the nest and detoxed the area with a lot of simple green, paper towels, and an enzyme spray, I did a quick Jerry rigged mouse proofing of the air intake. Did 2 levels of chicken wire and some self tapping screws.

https://i.imgur.com/xWnuIjG.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/iofSRpg.jpeg

also set 2 mousetraps in there overnight, hoping I don’t catch anything and the bastards already fled in terror when they had the chance.

still have to shampoo and scrub down all the carpets. What a pain the ass, d**khead mice.

2. Jul 11, 2024 at 7:01 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
  3. Jul 11, 2024 at 7:37 PM
    Pavo

Pavo New Member

Member:
    Try peppermint oil and dryer sheets as well if you’re haven’t

4. Jul 12, 2024 at 2:27 AM
    Trouble24

Trouble24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steph
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner TRD Pro
    I discovered evidence of mice in my previous 4Runner about a year after I bought it. Luckily I caught it very early. I put bars of Irish Spring soap ( leaving them in the cardboard box) under the seats, in glove box, and stashed a few in the back cargo area. Didn't have any further issues. I put soap in my new 4R immediately.

5. Jul 12, 2024 at 2:03 PM
    SFO2Baja

SFO2Baja New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4WD
    Sorry to hear, but thanks for posting that nest location. My 4R was parked 8 months in the country, and I sure wish I knew to prep it before leaving it there. Both tiny mice and bigger field mice or rat nests under hood and under passenger seat. I tried 100% peppermint essential oil, which seemed to help keep them out of cabin, but new mouse poo (smaller, less of it) every few days... for 3 months! Got traps, but no apparent interest in peanut butter. The real problem is under the dash in the HVAC system, based on stink. Simply avoiding that for now.

6. Jul 12, 2024 at 3:44 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    A mouse is worth a dollar? I have mice in my freezer! I have hibernated certain species of snakes in the refrigerator to induce breeding.

7. Jul 12, 2024 at 3:44 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I got a rat zapper.

Never caught anything.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2024

Products Discussed in

To Top