1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Method MR705 + Falken A/T4W 265/70R17 Issues?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JackBear808, May 17, 2024.

1. May 17, 2024 at 2:03 PM
    JackBear808

JackBear808 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Red 4Runner Trail
    Eibach Pro-Truck Coilover Stage 2R, JBA UCA's, Method M705, Falken A/T4W
    I know this is a very specific combo, but I'd expect at least one other person to be running this combination. 2-weeks ago I got a new set of Method MR705's with Falken A/T4W's in 265/70R17 and standard load. They look incredible but mine seem to have a few minor problems.

1. They will rub on the front mud flaps when turning at just the right angle on an elevation. But just barely. No big deal really.

2. I get a steering wheel vibration around 60 mph. I've gotten them rebalanced 3 times now, and an alignment, and it's still there. The last wheel balance I brought it to the dealer and they said a couple of the wheels took alot of weight to balance which may indicate a problem with the new wheel. They also said that the vibration just may be the norm because I switched to a non-stock wheel width and offset mixed with an aggressive tire.

Anyone else have this wheel balance/steering wheel vibration ?
    Is it typical that Method wheels are difficult to balance?
    Let me hear it.

4runner.jpg

2. May 18, 2024 at 4:16 AM
    Guppy1301

Guppy1301 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2019 TRD ORP
    Bilstein 6112/5100 TSO bumper Rokmen rear LCA Northstar x2 Voltage pro booster
    Need to do a road force balance. That should help.

1SilverRunner likes this.
  3. May 20, 2024 at 5:58 AM
    mainerunr

mainerunr New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD ORP
    Toyo AT3's, Greenlane Sliders
    The bolded part tells me you need to take them somewhere else. It may be an issue with one of the wheels but there are thousands of people running non-stock wheel width and offset with "aggressive" tires.

Nice wheels btw, I looked at those pretty hard but ended up with the FN Pros instead (a non-stock width and offset with Toyo AT3's and have no vibration).

4. May 20, 2024 at 6:29 AM
    JackBear808

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Red 4Runner Trail
    Thanks for the replies. The Toyota dealer did a road force balance. At this point I'm losing faith in many places abilities and competence, which is why I do almost all my own work but I don't do tires, wheels and alignment. I think I'll start with seeing if there is an out of round spec for these wheels that maybe these wheels have a defect. I also am going to try to find someone in the Minneapolis in St Paul area that knows how to deal with Toyota 4x4s.

5. May 20, 2024 at 10:17 AM
    JackBear808

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Red 4Runner Trail
    Dang, yeah it could be the new Falkens. It's hard to know when you go with multiple new things (wheels & tires in this case) what's to blame. But if you've had a negative experience with the tires then that is a good data point for me. I had 2 different sets of Nittos before this, and they were both terrible in the snow. Heard big things about AT3's so went this way. Ok we'll see how it goes with these tires.

akakaiser likes this.
  6. May 20, 2024 at 10:43 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    No complaints on my Falkens, on-road or off.

I agree that tires are the first thing, and I'd put sliders second. "Moab-ready" covers a lot of territory, since there's an wide range of difficulty, from plain-old dirt roads to super-sketchy trails with huge obstacles.

7. May 20, 2024 at 10:47 AM
    JackBear808

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Red 4Runner Trail
    Specifically I had Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, and then Ridge Grapplers. There were some positives to running them, but as soon as slushy snow winter hits they are kind of scary. Deep dry snow was ok, but they don't do well in wet/snow mix. They also spin alot in the rain towards the last part of their life. I'm done with those. If AT4W's don't impress me, I would try General ATX next time. My decision this round was between Falken, General, and BFG.

akakaiser likes this.
  8. May 20, 2024 at 2:07 PM
    mainerunr

mainerunr New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD ORP
    Toyo AT3's, Greenlane Sliders
    I ran two sets of Falken AT3W's and had no issues. They were FAR better than the Grabber ATx I replaced them with (because the dealer messed up and didn't order the Falken but could get the Grabbers same day). The Grabbers were way worse in snow/ice and hydroplaned like mad when less than half worn (only AT tire I've ever had hydroplaning issues) (granted, this was on an F150 with way more power than a 4runner and only a little more weight) Only reason I went with Toyo AT3's this time is because the AT2's were good and the AT3's were lighter than the Falkens and the 4runner is underpowered enough as it is.

Products Discussed in

To Top