1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Magnuson Supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Bend_4R, Aug 20, 2024.

1. Aug 20, 2024 at 12:16 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    I've read all the threads and heard all the pros and cons, but I am still curious about opinions on superchargers from the peanut gallery. A friend and fellow 4Runner owner I spoke with yesterday thinks I am an idiot for even considering a supercharger, and I expect many members here to agree with that sentiment. In the last few days, I have put my foot on the gas pedal more than usual to establish a baseline of performance, and I can't say I am disappointed with the performance of my stock 4Runner. But more power when needed would be great! No one would be disappointed if the stock 4Runner came with the horsepower and torque specs achieved with a supercharger, so it comes down to money.

The dealer I purchased my 4Runner from is an authorized Magnuson reseller. I was told yesterday that the installation would not void my factory warranty and that they 100% stood behind the product. A service technician told me that they have installed superchargers on 4Runners with 190k miles on them and brand new, and they have not had any problems.

I am also considering an OTT tune. I know the OTT tune is not a fair comparison to a supercharger, but I wanted to throw that out there as a point of conversation.

What do you think? Let it fly!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
  2. Aug 20, 2024 at 12:29 PM
    1SilverRunner

1SilverRunner My boy, blue

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    A few users here have them.

Here are some things to consider:
    -SC requires premium fuel
    -Additional pulleys to maintain.
    -You may have to replace spark plugs more often as preventative maintenance.

Personally I got an OTT tune and it seemed to wake up the engine quite a bit. Better throttle response. Improved shift logic. Significant increase in torque. Aaand only $600.

It's no substitute for a supercharger or regear. But it definitely helps.

nonuniform, JustDSM and Bend_4R[OP] like this.
  3. Aug 20, 2024 at 12:34 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    Premium fuel and the other items are small potatoes. It's the upfront cost that is daunting. There is little doubt that the OTT tune is a lot of bang for the buck. Unfortunately, my closest OTT tuner is a four-hour drive from me, or I would already have done it.

4. Aug 20, 2024 at 12:40 PM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Front Bumper: C4 Fabrication Low-Profile Bumper Warn Evo10-S Winch w/ Warn wireless adapter Extreme LED dual color light bar w/ Cali raised LED OEM style switch Bumper Cover Trimmed For Clearance Rear Bumper: 80% Off Road Rear Bash Bar Armor: RCI Skid plate package C4 Gas tank skid RCI Rear diff skid RCI Shock Skids RSG Angled/ Plated Sliders Total Chaos Cam Tab Gussets Total Chaos Spindle Gussets 41.22 Hitch Slider Suspension: Dobinsons IMS long travel kit (Front: IMS59-50574 w/ C59-352 Springs) (Rear: IMS59-50575 w/ C59-675v Springs) Apache Off Road UCAs Apache Off Road HD Rear Links (Upper and Lower) Apache Off Road Rear Sway Bar Links Dobinsons Track Bar Front Sway Bar Delete DuroBumps Rear Bump stops PerryParts Front Bump stops DRKDSS Track Bar Correction kit Dobinsons Diff Drop Wheels/ Tires: RRW 17x8.5 -12 RR6-H Wheels 285/75/17 Falken A/T4W 1.25" SpiderTrax Spacers BMC, Pinch Weld Folded. Custom High Clearance Fender Liners *Coming soon Performance: OTT Tuned Scan Gauge II for Temp Monitoring Yota Shop Diff Breather Storage Solutions: LFD Cross-Bars Aiden James Customs Gear Plate w/ Slide Out Tables *Backordered, coming soon Rado Designs Molle storage panels and top shelf Glove Box organizer Center Console organizer Interior: Diode Dynamics LED Interior lighting (Warm white ftw) Meso Customs Hatch lights Meso Customs Door Handle Covers Ram ball mount for Garmin In-Touch Mini II FitCamX Dash Camera Scosche phone mount Weathertech floor matts Misc: Nano Ceramic Tint (Including windshield and sunroof) Midland MXT575 and Ghost Antenna Cali Raised LED 27W Ditch Lights OVS Nomadic 6.5' Awning AVS Low Profile Vent Visor AVS Bugflector II Diode Dynamic puddle lights LasFit Reverse lights LED license plate lights Ark Splash Guards Ark Mud Flap Deletes AJT Push-To-Start Button +Midland handheld GMRS radios, Baofeng UV-5R Ham radio, recovery gear, water purification system, lifeboat food rations, trauma kit, fire extinguisher and fire starting kit stay on board.
    I hear you. The fact that the Magnuson used to be a Toyota dealer-installed option is a huge plus. It must have been tested and approved by Toyota at least to some extent?..

Very cool that you have a local dealer willing to work with you on it.

Bend_4R[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 20, 2024 at 12:40 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    I think nowadays there are better, simple solutions and still have warranty..

upload_2024-8-20_13-39-39.png

roooo and Bend_4R[OP] like this.
  6. Aug 20, 2024 at 12:47 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    My dealer said that Magnuson built the TRD supercharger, so Toyota and Magnuson are a good match. My dealer has a Magnuson supercharger on a stand in the parts department, and have installed a ton of them. Its partly why I'm considering it, since they feel very comfortable with the upgrade.

7. Aug 20, 2024 at 12:52 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm not sure buying another vehicle is a better or simpler option, but I do think the GX 550 is a cool rig. If I had thought this through better from the start I probably would have considered the Lexus. But the closest Lexus dealer to me is a few hours away, and Toyota is in my town. That made Lexus a harder choice to make. While I may be in the Lexus price range with the upgrades I made (especially if I add a supercharger) that assumes I drove the Lexus stock. If I started doing suspension and other things to a GX I would be spending quite a bit more overall on that vehicle.

Update: A GX 550 Overtrail specced with rock sliders and not much else is nearly double what I paid for a brand new 4R OR. That makes the supercharger look like a bargain!

8. Aug 20, 2024 at 12:58 PM
    1SilverRunner

Member:
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Off Road Premium
    Yeah that is my understanding as well. I wish Toyota still offered the upgrade at the dealership under the TRD name... I'd have rolled that into my auto-loan on day one :cool:

Since I don't have personal experience with the supercharger I'll lay off and hopefully a few other users with personal experience chime in. Maybe @ChessGuy or @Rob41 can shed some light on their experience with Magnuson?

One side note: Maybe its the Texas in me, but a four hour drive isn't too bad if you can swing it. Maybe there's some good camping on that side of town?
    Living in Dallas I have to drive 4-5 hours to find any decent trails/ camping spots. So I might have a different perspective on drive times xD

Whichever you choose, good luck and remember to enjoy the journey!:cheers:

9. Aug 20, 2024 at 1:09 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    Just as an FYI, we can supply you the files direct and set you up with the hardware/software to flash yourself. Send an email to us at info@overlandtailor.com and we’d be happy to assist.

10. Aug 20, 2024 at 1:10 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    At least for my money it doesn't make sense. Old tech 4runner that doesn't even have direct injection and old school 5 spd automatic trying to get performance out of it seems odd. The whole purpose of buying 4runner is extremely reliable and easy maintenance. This is why they have better resale value. Even insurance seems to be decent. for a 2024 4Runner you have long way to go under warranty directly from Toyota. Even things like fuel pump had issues, no questions asked. When you bolt on supercharger all that seems to be underwater.

Even in Toyota world you might have better options like Land cruiser 250, the 6th gen 4Runner that's around the corner seems to be better options. All components are made for more power and toque, also have direct injection, more gearing.
    Just a thought from my point of view.

11. Aug 20, 2024 at 1:11 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    Enjoying the journey is the whole reason why I'm looking at Magnuson!

12. Aug 20, 2024 at 1:16 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have owned my 4Runner for two months, so a trade in is absolutely not an option. And my Toyota warranty would remain intact. From what I have read and in my conversation with the service guy at my dealership, there are no issues with supercharged 4Runners. And spark plugs more frequently, etc. is a very minor expense. I also don't see how a supercharger makes maintenance more difficult, unless I am missing something.

On paper, the Land Cruiser and 6th gen 4R seem like good options, but I don't think any of us know how reliability will be with those. It seems like a supercharged 4Runner is still a better reliability risk. And there are supercharged 4Runners with more mileage on them than any new Land Cruiser, and obviously no 6th gen 4R’s exist in the wild.

I don't pretend that a supercharger makes sense. But with the full warranty intact, and no inherent longevity issues, the biggest obstacle I see is the up front cost. I also understand and appreciate that most people have very valid reasons for believing a supercharger doesn't make sense, and I appreciate your feedback.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Aug 20, 2024 at 1:22 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    @JustDSM That is an interesting bit of information! Although, I am happy to make a drive to PNW Tuning by Paul Peralta to have the OTT tune applied. And I will very likely do that if I get a supercharger as well.

JustDSM[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Aug 20, 2024 at 3:32 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    The GX 550 puts out some impressive numbers, but the fuel economy is worse than a 4Runner.

GX 550 - Engine Specs

I assume the GX is a heavier car than a 4Runner. With a supercharger, the 4Runner performance should be quite good, and I'd argue with less gadgetry it would achieve that with fewer problems. Isn't the GX engine the one Lexus/Toyota is having so many problems with? Just curious, as I love my 4R and am not buying a GX.

15. Aug 20, 2024 at 3:39 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Had one on my Tacoma and it was meh. I swapped the pulley and it was better but I had some fuel problems as it would always run rich. Just depends on what you’re looking for since it will never be fast but it will improve passing power.

Bend_4R[OP] likes this.
  16. Aug 20, 2024 at 3:49 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm sold on the concept, but on the fence about whether the performance upgrade matters to me. My 4Runner has been a blast to drive, and I've had fun with the new suspension I had installed, and the other things to make it mine. A supercharger seems like the last bit that could be fun, but I started the thread because I am undecided. If it were $4k I wouldn't think twice.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  17. Aug 20, 2024 at 6:00 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I have no regrets so far on the addition of the SC from Magnuson. My thought process was more or less like this, I intend to keep the 4R forever, I'm ok that the 4R is a slow even with the SC, and that if I wanted more HP, then I should have bought a different vehicle. Once I was ok with all of that, then I was able to swallow the big expense and stick with it.

The SC is just an extra degree of freedom from when you need it, (highway driving). Other than that, you don't need this IMO. I have put 30K on the SC from when I got it back in 21, so far so good. A few little things here in there with some hoses and the initial learning of the ECU but other than that it has been good. A few months ago I got the 4R tuned with the OTT, and oh my godness, it makes a big difference. I'm also regeared to 456 so there is some added benefit there, and did I say I'm keeping this 4R forever? I'm committed to this unit. DON"T GET THE SC, if you are expecting big gains and a transformation of the 4R. I would say regear first and then if you don't like that, then take it up to next level. Appreciate the stages of the build and learn the capability of each one so that you can enjoy the additions. Doing too many things defeats the purpose of the journey. Here is a pic from when it was brand new. It doesn't look that way today, although I do keep it clean when I can.

Supercharger 4Runner 2020.jpg

Lc200, JakeTheSnak3, Fu3lC3ll and 5 others like this.
  18. Aug 20, 2024 at 7:30 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks! This is a very helpful post. I am not expecting big gains, and I don't really feel like the 4R is slow. I don't have any extra weight on my rig other than a TRD skid plate and in the next few days, Westcott Design rock sliders. I'm sure it would drive nice and be fun with the SC, but the cost is sinking in.

I see you have a Pro, so you already have the exhaust. Did you add a fuel pump as well? The service department at my dealership didn't say anything about exhaust or a fuel pump, but I have heard those can add up to more horsepower. But that starts to become a deep, deep rabbit hole. I would likely start with the SC and push any other changes well into the future. Since my dealership would stand behind it with a full factory warranty that they said they would put in writing, I would wait to add an OTT tune until the warranty expired. I read through the entire Magnuson installation manual, and I realized the system is more involved than I had imagined. On steeper grades, if I put my foot into the pedal or manually select gears, I am fine getting up to speed, probably because my 4R is light and I don't have extra weight. My Mickey Thompson tires are relatively light for what they are, as well as my TRD flow-formed wheels, which are very likely helping my performance. The other day I drove over hilly terrain for an hour fifteen each way, and averaged 19.5 mpg. I know the SC's typically get the same or even better mpg, but my performance as is doesn't bum me out.

19. Aug 20, 2024 at 7:39 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    We had a 2017 limited with a super charger that I bought used. I now have a 2024 ORP and there isn’t that much difference, I’m sure if I drove one right after the other I would notice a little, but I am ok with the slow runner, and when I need some get up, pushing harder on the pedal.

we traded the 2017 for a few reasons, but one was my concern about the SC and the leaking water pump. Even though there was lots of work/mods done to it by yota mechanics, I wanted a clean slate to build what we wanted.

Bend_4R[OP] and kmeeg like this.
  20. Aug 20, 2024 at 8:49 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    My 2024 OR with Bilstein 8112/8100 suspension drives great, and after allowing myself to drive it more assertively lately, it feels quick. Sure, if I want to go quicker up inclines I need to keep my foot on the pedal, but it will go plenty fast. Candidly, after reading the Magnuson installation manual I am turned off to the supercharger.

1) The Magnuson SC is extremely well thought out and looks like a high-quality product.
    2) The system is more involved than I realized, and I am not sure I want to add that complexity to my 4R.
    3) While the cost may be fair for what it is, $9,000 is starting to sink in and feels like a lot to spend when I already like how my 4R drives.

As always, I appreciate all the helpful comments. Since I don't carry any weight or more than one passenger and won't tow anything, I am likely better off skipping a supercharger.

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Aug 20, 2024 at 8:53 PM
    JustDSM

JustDSM New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    Your supercharger kit will come with the hardware, so you wont have to buy that stuff. We'll be able to tune you direct as you'll have everything needed. :thumbsup:

22. Aug 20, 2024 at 8:56 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have yet to decide, but after researching the Magnuson SC, I am leaning heavily towards a drive to PNW Tuning to get an OTT Tune on my stock rig and calling it a day.

23. Aug 20, 2024 at 10:09 PM
    roooo

roooo New Member

Member:
    2018 Silver ORP KDSS
    whenever i want a taste of supercharger i put my lips together and go brrrrrr

ChessGuy likes this.
  24. Aug 21, 2024 at 6:41 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    No need to add anything else. In fact, Magnuson recommends to keep everything stock. None of the other things do anything at all, they are just aesthetics and looks. The power comes from the SC. Good luck.

25. Aug 21, 2024 at 6:43 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    :rofl:My wife does the same to me when she hears the whine....and she goes, "there is 10K out there for 20 more horses....some expensive ponnies you got there"

Spare Parts and 1SilverRunner like this.
  26. Sep 7, 2024 at 10:47 AM
    Fu3lC3ll

Fu3lC3ll I.Am.Limited

Member:
    First Name:
    Cris
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2024 Limited Wind Chill Pearl
    I would be interested in hearing how this turns out. I'm in Wilsonville and have almost talked myself into filling out the Tune Request.

While I would love to have a SC vehicle again (previous vehicle was a SC manual FJ Cruiser), the SC for the 4R is twice as much as it was for the FJ Cruiser. I'm thinking that an OTT Tune might be enough to make me happy.

27. Sep 7, 2024 at 11:45 AM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    I still plan to do the OTT tune when I have a chance, but for the money, I'd rather have a BMW S1000XR instead of a supercharged 4Runner. Or I'll just swing a leg over my Ducati Hypermorad. I'll post once I get the OTT tune.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
    Fu3lC3ll[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Sep 8, 2024 at 1:08 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Personally I think you're one of the nicest people I've come accross on the internet.

You're obviously highly intelligent; in the very upper echelon for what humans are capable of. I can of course deduce this from you wanting a super charger on your 4Runner. But the fact that you would maintain a friendship with someone who thinks this is a bad idea? You sir are a Saint. The tolerance that must take is beyond what my wildest drug fueled imagination is capable of.

At any rate...I think it's a great idea. Any time I'm loaded down going camping or anything makes me start telling my wife...I'm ordering that supercharger as soon as we get home. 4runners desperately need super chargers. It's so sad almost none have them. I badly want one....

Bend_4R[QUOTED][OP] and ChessGuy like this.
  29. Sep 8, 2024 at 8:34 PM
    Bend_4R

Bend_4R [OP] New Member

Member:
    You might be overestimating my intelligence, but I appreciate your nice comment! I still have a 2013 GMC 2500HD with a 6.0L v8 that I would use if I were ever going to tow my trailer or load down with gear. My 4R is my daily driver, an off-road exploration vehicle, and probably my vehicle for skiing. Since I have two-wheeled machines for going fast, and my GMC with plenty of power, I am leaving my 4R (mostly) stock. I did add a TRD cold air intake because I was fidgety and needed to do something!

Thacrow[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Sep 8, 2024 at 9:20 PM
    nonuniform

nonuniform New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR
    Supercharger vs portals....hmmm...

$20k for portals is a yes. Immediate ground clearance improvement, regearing without touching stock diffs, no change to suspension geometry.....

$7500 + install for SC gets you...a bit of passing power, not a whole lot of improvement in off-road capability.

I'm just arm-chairing over here. No idea what it's like to actually have portals other than the Volvo C303 that I've driven, which, was nothing like a 4R.

Bend_4R[OP] likes this.
To Top