1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lookin for my first!

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by peelxite, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Oct 29, 2023 at 12:36 PM
    peelxite

peelxite [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    leep
    Hi All!
    [spam me with threads, no need to type out answers if it's in the thread...less if you care to]

I'm just starting my research, so I haven't reviewed the forum overall yet. Just asking for any input y'all have on how to narrow my search, and also...of course, getting the best deal. I can travel to any state in the lower 48, if they're significantly less expensive. My first leg of the journey, as it stands now, is to head south (of course). I'll be going through the following states:
    • Minnesota
    • Iowa
    • Missouri
    • Kansas
    • Oklahoma
    Then, probably I'll catch Route 66 west, and cut up to Death Valley, so I think also:
    • Texas
    • New Mexico
    • Colorado
    • Arizona
    • Nevada
    I know ain't nothin cheap in Cali, so yeah.

Any tips on finding deals much appreciated, but I'm also a little baffled by the trim choices.
    As you'll see below, I've come to realize I really, really want a sun/moon roof. I think I get less claustrophobic when that's a feature.

Must haves/close to deal breakers:

1. 60,000 miles or fewer (drift as high as even "technically under" 65k.
    2. 4X4 - not negotiable
    3. OEM CarPlay - must have (I think). I believe that if a vehicle is OEM CarPlay ready, one can get a wireless adapter. I HATE having to mess with plugging in a phone just to drive away. If I settled, the vehicle would be required to accept an aftermarket head unit (which shouldn't be a problem, I'd guess if it doesn't have OEM CarPlay, it's not gonna have a proprietary media system that's not replacable, still...I want the OEM so i can get the wireless
    4. Sun/Moon roof (retractable): I kinda overlooked this, but I had a removable moonroof on my Pathfinder 20 yrs ago, haven't had a sun/moon roof since. I miss it powerfully. After consideration, I'd be willing to give up lane assist (don't actually want, but I do want:/blind spot/front collision mitigation to get this. I've already seen the truck that hits all marks, except this one, and I'm not feeling it, so I think a retractable moon/sunroof is a must have. It just make for a much more comfortable drive...and i'm going to be living out of my truck some...
    Really want:
    I'm struggling between spending another like 4k to get everything (around 36,900 - 37,900). I think i can get roughly 2k for my trade in. I"d like to get out of there without spending more than 32-33k out of pocket. The more I think on it, the less inlined I am to go above 31-32 out of pocket.

I know it's a stretch, but it seems like a deal on a particular truck will just float by every week or so...no good reason why it's $2,500 under market that I can see...but it seems to happen.
    1. Blind spot detection
    2. front collision
    3. heated seats
    4. wifi (?) is this worth it? what do you get out of it, and what's the monthly subscription...if any?
    I did a cursory review of 2020 trim levels, it looks like maybe you gotta get up to the Limited trim and above to have a moon roof...is that right?

2. Oct 29, 2023 at 1:05 PM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....

First off: Here's a 2020 within your price range that has (I think) all the options you want.

https://www.mazdacentral.com/used-i...-4Runner-c1c7a8040a0e081d6bd1a3a52000b056.htm

Wifi isn't worth it, neither is wireless Apple Car Play/Android Auto. Both of those work best when hard wired in.

peelxite[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top