1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking Rear Diff Install 02 4Runner SR5

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Viridi Machina, Jul 9, 2024.

1. Jul 9, 2024 at 4:05 PM
    Viridi Machina

Viridi Machina [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Green 2002 4Runner SR5
    Hey all, I’m looking to install a rear locker from a junked Toyota, does anyone know of any models that would have a compatible diff with a 2002 4Runner SR5? The engine is a V6 5VZ-FE. Thanks!

2. Jul 9, 2024 at 4:29 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
  3. Jul 9, 2024 at 4:48 PM
    Photon_Chaser

Photon_Chaser 44232 and counting…

Member:
    Central Coast
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD Pro
    Not 100% certain but the rear locker/diff from my old Y2K Limited would probably work...since the 2002 was the last year for 3rd Gens. I MISS my 3rd Gen (but appreciate all of the modern conveniences of the 5th!)

4. Jul 9, 2024 at 6:22 PM
    AssQuake

AssQuake Ex Machina

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    4runner
    Nothing special
    I've successfully done this retrofit.

96-00 4runners had the option to have an elocker, limited models are most likely to have them.

You'll need the full rear end e-locker and a matching front diff. All e-locked 4runners had 4:30 gears and your 2002 4runner most likely has 4:10 gears if your model is a 4wd with a v6 and factory 16" wheels.

If you want to keep your current rear end housing you'll need to modify it by cutting a notch and tapping a hole. making sure that tapped hole is drilled straight. im not 100% positive but there's a possibility youll need to fill an area so youll need to source a welder.

Another option is to pick up a 1st gen tacoma e-locker 3rd member, most came with 4:11 gears so you wont need to find a matching front diff. Going this route you either have to modify your housing or find an empty 4runner elocker housing. sourcing single pieces for the retrofit will take the longest and is most annoying.

sourcing the parts will take time but if you can find a full donor then life will be easy. Full e-lock rear end, matching front diff, wire harness + computer and youre all set.

also, youll need to swap your electric ADD actuator onto the donor front diff. 01-02 4runner are all electric.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2024

Products Discussed in

To Top