1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift and TRDP Fox question (what's wrong with them?)

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Wildfish, Jul 7, 2024.

1. Jul 7, 2024 at 11:43 AM
    Wildfish

Wildfish [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Off-Road
    Hi all,
    I have a 2022 TRD ORP. I love it, but want better suspension and a slight lift. I can get a set of take off TRD Pro fox's from the same year, low miles, for around $1,200 installed. If I do, I'll want to add 1" to front and back. My questions:

1) What's wrong with the fox TRD shocks? I keep hearing that "there are better options for the $$." But no one says what is wrong with them other than that they are "budget" Fox. From what I can see, they are great! 2.5" diameter, bypasses, and external canister. For my price ($1,200 INSTALLED) they seem like the best option!

2) if they are, what's the best way to get a slight lift? If I only want 1 inch I'm sure I can do spacers, but that seems like too cheap of an option. Will I be happier with a spring lift like the Eibach (even though these are .5 inches higher than I want)?

3) can these handle a lift? I know it won't break them. But will I get less out of these than I would, say, a bilstein that is designed to allow for a lift?
    Thanks!

2. Jul 7, 2024 at 1:25 PM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....

This article may help you, a lot: https://www.4wheelparts.com/the-dirt/bilstein-5100-vs-fox-2-0-performance-shocks-features-breakdown/?gclsrc=aw.ds&Brands_-_Performance_Max=&gad_source=1&gclid=*

If you’re looking to improve the off-road prowess, comfort, or handling of your 4×4, a suspension replacement is one of the best ways to do so. The Bilstein 5100 and Fox 2.0 Performance series options are some of the most popular performance shock absorbers you can get for your off-road vehicle. While they’re both impressive in their own right, each outperforms the other in certain aspects. There’s a lot of debate on which of these is the better option, but the truth is they’re both designed to cater to different requirements.

In this article, we’ll compare the key features of both, the suspension replacement cost, and help you decide which is best for you.

Price Point Comparison
    A significant difference between the Bilstein 5100 and Fox 2.0 Performance shocks, and one that might be the deciding factor for you, is the suspension replacement cost. The Fox units are notably more expensive than the Bilstein shocks — sometimes costing twice as much! For instance, consider the front suspension replacement on a Ford F-150. Prices for a single Bilstein 5100 series shock start at $103.00, while a similar unit from the Fox 2.0 Performance series carries a $199.95 price tag.

The disparity in cost comes down to multiple factors, including their construction. While the Bilstein shocks are made from zinc-plated galvanized steel, the Fox 2.0 shocks feature a lighter, CNC machined clear anodized aluminum one-piece body.

Ride Suspension Comparisons
    The Bilstein 5100 series of shock absorbers feature a 46 mm monotube with neoprene rubber bushings. On the other hand, the Fox 2.0 Performance shocks are slightly thicker, made from a 50.6 mm monotube, and come with nitrile rubber bushings. Both shocks come with directly compatible mounting hardware, so they will be a direct fit onto your vehicle. You won’t need any additional hardware or special tools to carry out a suspension replacement.

The Bilstein 5100 is also available in a Ride Height Adjustable variant that you can choose instead of coil spring spacers. With the ability to lift your vehicle by up to 2.75 inches, they’re a perfect option for larger trucks or SUVs that carry large loads or need the added height. On the other hand, the Fox 2.0 Performance shocks offer up to 1.5 inches of lift.

The Fox 2.0 Performance shocks use technology derived from the company’s racing products. The aluminum body aids heat dissipation, ensuring that the shocks perform optimally even in more demanding situations that cause the internal suspension fluids to heat up. Poor heat dissipation will affect the viscosity of the suspension fluid, affecting performance. Suspension fluid, like most oils, becomes thinner as it increases in temperature, and if it heats up too much, it will become too thin, resulting in a spongy ride.

Another important factor worth remembering is that the Fox 2.0 Performance shocks come with a nitrogen cartridge that can be refilled when required. So, if you ever find that its performance isn’t on par with what it was like when new, you can have the cartridge refilled instead of investing in an all-new pair, drastically cutting down on suspension replacement cost.

The rest of the Fox 2.0 Performance shocks are rebuildable, too, so if you make other significant modifications to your vehicle that alter its weight or performance, you can adjust the shock absorber’s tuning to adapt to the new requirements. So, even though it’s a higher suspension replacement investment up front, the Fox 2.0 Performance shocks can conceivably last as long as your vehicle.

Comfort and Handling
    The Bilstein 5100 and Fox 2.0 Performance shocks are set up differently. If you were to test them out on the exact vehicle and subject them to identical driving scenarios, you’d find that the Bilstein shocks are tuned to be on the firmer side. This translates to improved steering feedback, reduced body roll, and a more stable ride overall. On the flip side, you will feel potholes and speed bumps more than you would with the Fox 2.0 Performance shocks.

So if your vehicle is going to be spending most of its time on tarmac, or if it’s going to carry heavy loads or tow a trailer, the Bilstein will better suit your requirements.

As the paragraph above suggests, the Fox 2.0 is designed to tackle more challenging off-road terrain. With a slightly softer ride, it does a better job at absorbing undulations, potholes, and rocky terrain. While it will likely offer better on-road performance than the stock hardware on your car, you will notice a tad more body roll if you compare it with the Bilstein units back-to-back.

Get the Best Suspension Hardware for Your 4×4
    To conclude, the Fox 2.0 is the better suspension if you’re looking to improve the off-road prowess of your 4×4. It’s more expensive than the Bilstein 5100 series of shocks, but it’s likely to last longer, given its re-buildability. If you simply want a step up from the stock suspension on your truck or SUV and are not looking for anything off-road-oriented, the Bilstein 5100 shocks will serve to be an excellent suspension replacement.

The suspension on your vehicle can significantly affect how it handles and performs. This is true for everyday driving and more recreational applications like extreme off-roading. Either way, the proper hardware can drastically improve your vehicle’s capabilities.

If you’re looking to perform a suspension replacement, order your parts from 4 Wheel Parts. With an extensive portfolio of suspension hardware, from complete systems and lift kits to individual accessories and conversion kits, you can find it all at under one physical or virtual rooftop. You can also find several other OEM and aftermarket parts for your truck or SUV on the site using your vehicle’s year, make, model, and variant.

Adventure51 likes this.
  3. Jul 8, 2024 at 7:21 AM
    Wildfish

Wildfish [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I always love a good read. Alas, this doesn't really help me. It says nothing about the OEM FOX TRD Pro shocks, or about lifting them.
    Any chance someone else has some experience with this?

4. Jul 8, 2024 at 7:34 AM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    $1200 for a Fox setup sounds good to me. It should lift front 1” and IMHO, the rear doesn’t need a lift.

Wildfish[OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 8, 2024 at 7:41 AM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    I have a set of take offs(2019/2020) on my sr5p an absolutely love them. Soft and smooth ride for daily driving. They have over an 1" more suspension travel then standard 4runners shocks. The 2.5" width helps with body roll and sway.

6. Jul 8, 2024 at 7:46 AM
    Wildfish

Wildfish [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Totally agree. But what if I want 1" in front and rear (and not 1.5, like the eibach set). Will a spacer ruin the ride? Will springs ruin the ride bc of the bypass system set at a certain height?

7. Jul 8, 2024 at 7:52 AM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    I had a 2” lift in the back and it caused the rear shocks to top out frequently when off roading or simply driving over the edge of a curb.

I literally only had a total of 1” shock down travel in the back.

I suppose 1” would be ok but there’s no free lunch. Lifting comes at the cost of losing shock down travel.

Wildfish[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 8, 2024 at 7:56 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    TRD Pro fox only add closer to 1 in front lift and zero rear lift.

TRD Pro fox comfort is not the best compared to something like Ironman FCP from mid level shocks and no where near a highend ELKA 2.5DC.

TRD Pro fox are no height adjustable if you want different height or add weight to front. Even basic Bilstien 5100 can be set to different height if you want more lift or add more weight. Aftermarket Fox suspension will also have a threaded color to do this adjustment. Aftermarket Fox 2.5DSC will even have compression adjusters to adjust the shock comfort to your taste and terrain. There are more aftermarket suspension not only have 2.5 shock bodies but have separate reservoir. Ofcause optional compression adjusters and some even have rebound adjusters.

Me personally would never buy used shocks as you don't know how the previous owner used them. Driving over speed bumps at speed, driving on gravel & forest roads, etc will wear the shocks. Of cause every seller will say garage kept, never offroad, all ways wash after winter driving, blah blah blah.... Hence I like to buy new vehicles, suspension & other parts.

Wildfish[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 8, 2024 at 8:22 AM
    Acesandeights

Acesandeights #34

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2024 ORP
    265/70/17 BFG AT KO2, chapstick in the cup holder
    I think better for the money means $1,200 is too much to pay for OEM Fox products. What else can you get for $1,200? Adjustable height Bilstein 5100 are less than $500 https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...2010-2021-toyota-4runner-4wd-rwd-w-0-2-5-lift. If you want new springs with your Bilstein 5100, you're looking at $900. So, for the money, the OEM Fox are too expensive. "There are better options for the $$". You get a new, built to order, Bilstein set up for ~$900. Why would anyone pay $1,200 for take off suspension. I could sell you some take off leaf springs from my 2005 Super Duty for $250, and then you could buy the Bilstein, my take off springs, and still be ahead by like $50. Makes about as much sense.

ETA: BTW, here is Fox, new, for $1,299: https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...toyota-4runner-4wd-rwd?variant=32323204677681

Last edited: Jul 8, 2024
  10. Jul 8, 2024 at 8:40 AM
    Wildfish

Wildfish [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Those are 2.0 without reservoirs, not 2.5" with reservoirs in the rear. Also, install plus alignment is like $1000. So to buy those and install them would be well over the 1200. Remember, I said 1200 installed. So basically $200 for the shocks.

Slopemaster likes this.
  11. Jul 8, 2024 at 8:44 AM
    Acesandeights

Acesandeights #34

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2024 ORP
    265/70/17 BFG AT KO2, chapstick in the cup holder
    Haha, ok. Screamin' deal (that's sarcasm). I won't argue with someone that wants what (s)he wants. Why are you asking? If you want them, get them already!

BTW, I'll lower the price on my Super Duty leaf springs to $150, but it's only for the rear. Oh, BTW, you should update the location in your profile, because if you're close, I'll install them for $500...the Fox, not the leaf springs ($1,000 for installation is insane, really, it's insane, not a little crazy, but bat sh*t crazy, insane, like buying 2005 Super Duty leaf springs for a new 4Runner insane).

12. Jul 8, 2024 at 8:47 AM
    Wildfish

Wildfish [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm in KY, but no thanks on the leaf springs! And totally understand your point. My question is two parts: 1) what is "wrong" with the OEM fox over the after market fox. And 2, will a lift via springs or spacer ruin the ride on the OEM Fox in ways that they won't on adjustable Fox's or bilsteins.

13. Jul 8, 2024 at 8:50 AM
    like2lean

like2lean New Member

Member:
    Sounds like a deal if you know they haven't been abused (most have not). The only knock on the OEM Fox is the lack of an adjustable collar, other than that they are very good quality. Once installed if you want another inch up front use a top spacer of NO MORE than 3/8- 1/2", then grab the rear 1" Eibach springs for the rear and you'll be set.

14. Jul 8, 2024 at 9:02 AM
    Lost Woods

Lost Woods New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 SR5P
    Pro shocks are good daily shocks if you don't plan on modifying your 4Runner. You can add lift spacers up to an inch and not really impact ride quality on road but you are limiting suspension travel a little. Biggest downside is that you will get less miles out of them than most shocks and rebuilds aren't cheap if you don't do the work. That $1000 you're paying for the install? Add $400 on top of that for the rebuild every 50k if you want to keep them.

They're basically a cushy on-road shock with all the features of an off-road shock where their performance is very mid. The reservoirs and large bodies are pretty much just for show IMO and the tuning is a total compromise. They are nothing like properly built Fox shocks.

15. Jul 8, 2024 at 9:22 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    Just my experience. My TRD Pro has factory suspension (meaning they are new) vs my Limited has aftermarket Ironman FCP front set at 2 1/4in lift and rear I'm using 1.5in spring. I believe I paid around $1500 or $1600 new with a coupon and free shipping. I installed them with a friend in garage. Paid a trusted 4x4shop for alignment. To my taste Ironman FCP have better comfort than factory TRD Pro Fox both on pavement and rough non paved roads. I'm able to take turn at higher speeds.

But I don't know if Ironman FCP shocks would be less reliable or not vs TRD Pro Fox.

16. Jul 8, 2024 at 9:27 AM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    Go test drive a pro. And compare them. Ride quality is so subjective.

I love my trd shocks. But got them dirt cheap($300).

Products Discussed in

To Top