1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Launch Creader X431 Elite OBD2 Scanner (Toyota)

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by JPG, Jul 3, 2024.

1. Jul 3, 2024 at 11:09 AM
    JPG

JPG [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner SR5
    No - yet
    I recently purchased one of the bidirectional scanners from Amazon...we have several newer Toyota vehicles and figured it would come in handy over time.

I am trying to set it up for a 2024 4Runner, was interested in using it right now for accessing the 'hidden' functions. I know you can do this with other bluetooth scanners (Carista etc..), but this is the one we currently have at home.

Anyone have experience with this device? The instructions are not user friendly and I cannot figure out how to access the menu where we can program these functions (such as turning off the seat belt warning, open all windows with key fob etc..) or the bi-directional features to test door locks, window motors, and others.

YT has plenty of videos for other Toyota models, mostly older so my menus/features are probably different with this truck.

TIA for your insight. Did a search and came up empty, but if I missed a previous discussion/thread, please post the link.

2. Jul 3, 2024 at 4:30 PM
    2020 4Runner

2020 4Runner New Member

Member:
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner SR5, 2020 SR5 Tundra DC
    There is a guy in the Tundra forum that has one.

JPG[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 4, 2024 at 9:07 AM
    JPG

JPG [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner SR5
    No - yet
    I had a chance to work with the Launch X431 scanner over the last few days, and compared the menus/functions when connected to a 2024 4runner and 2023 RAV4.

I was able to locate the menus to program the windows/seat alarms etc.. but it was not intuitive. And it seems there are different menus depending on how you scan the vehicle and VIN (button sequences from front menu of Launch reader).

Here's my experience:

1. plug scanner in obd port, turn on ignition (car does not need to be running).
    2. From home screen, hit "Diagnostics"
    3. You can either autodetect VIN or hit 'Toyota' button. These will generate different menus you but can access the programmable features in both cases. But the steps are different.
    If using 'Toyota' button:
    4. Hit 16 pin DLC on next screen
    5. Scans and brings up vehicle information, hit OK
    6. You will then get a menu with Health Report, System Selection, Service Function, Customize Setting, Vehicle Info
    7. Select Customize setting and work down through menus to change programmable functions (windows, interior lighting, seat warming etc..)

If you autoscan/autodetect vehicle VIN,
    1. scanner will jump into the heath report (checks for codes/issues), and skips the menu in #6 above
    2. once the scan is complete, back out of the report (upper left '<' button on menu screen). This 'report' can be sent to an email address if unit is connected to wifi.
    3. The DTC code screen will come up with all of the modules checked (several pages) . If you click on the '>' to the right of the green checked marked circle, you will get a new menu - Read Fault Code, Clear fault memory, Read freeze frame, Read data stream, actuation test, special function. It looks like you can access the 'special function' screen from a variety of the modules, but did not check every one.
    4. 'special function' will bring you to another menu - initialization and customize setting
    5. Customize setting will take you to the menu where you can program the features for the windows/doors/warnings etc..

There might be other ways to access the customization menus, but this information is not outlined in the manual and I could not find any late model 4Runner specific information/videos.

I contaced the vendor and they claimed the programming features were not available with this reader, which is clearly wrong as I did change the settings for two different vehicles. These readers are sold by the overseas affiliate of Launch, so the US based company will not support them. I inquired if the US company sold a similar model that they do support, but was simply told to check the website.

Looks like a useful tool but the interface is not intuitive and the instructions minimal.

ETA - I created flow charts for some of the main menus to help locate various options in the future. YMMV.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
  4. Jul 5, 2024 at 4:46 PM
    JPG

JPG [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner SR5
    No - yet
    Flow charts for several main menus of Launch X431 Creader Elite.

5. Aug 28, 2024 at 3:54 PM
    mopudding

mopudding New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner Limited
    Found this on Ali Express for $95USD! Looks like a solid deal.

Products Discussed in

To Top