1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Krown, Woolwax, or Fluid Film?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jannoux, Jan 5, 2023.

1. Jan 5, 2023 at 12:00 PM
    Jannoux

Jannoux [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello!

I am about to be purchasing a 2013 4Runner Limited (92k miles, 4 years in Cali, rest in NY.) I live in the rust belt (Albany NY area) and after some research I am well aware of the rusting issue that 4Runners have on their frame. I have heard that Krown, Fluid Film, or Woolwax are the leading options for undercoating when it comes to 4Runners and dealing with the harsh NY winters, salt is frequently used in my area during snowstorms/winters. I am torn on which undercoating to go far as I have the 3 big ones close in my area.

Which undercoating would y'all recommend?
    Should I wait until the spring to apply it or as soon as I can?

This is my first post and I have seen there have been a few on this forum regarding how to deal with rust, but I am looking more so for the opinion. I am sorry if this is a duplicate post, thanks!

2. Jan 5, 2023 at 12:29 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    Apply any of the three ASAP. Another option I’d consider, PB surface shield, but that’s on the newer side and hasn’t gotten the same following yet. I can’t speak about Krown, other than it’s a Canadian product and I am sure they know rust up there A. I have used both Fluid Film and Woolwax, Fluid film creeps more, wool wax is a little thicker and is believed to last a bit longer.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Mitsch25 likes this.
  3. Jan 5, 2023 at 1:51 PM
    a66

a66 New Member

Member:
    Had NH oil applied to mine

4. Jan 5, 2023 at 2:09 PM
    Scotty4run

Scotty4run New Member

Member:
    There's another easy product called Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector that looks and smells like cosmoline, it comes in rattle cans. It sprays out like light oil so it seeps into cracks, after a few hours it cures and is waxy, not oily. I don't know how long it lasts but it's not going to rinse off at the carwash.

5. Jan 5, 2023 at 2:39 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Another effective method to avoid rust is to move to the desert. ;)

Mitsch25 and Trail Runnah like this.
  6. Jan 5, 2023 at 3:38 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I'd love to move to the desert, or somewhere out west, if for no other reason then all the open space. I'm so sick of all the people up here and being boxed in by the ocean on one side.

java likes this.
  7. Jan 5, 2023 at 4:53 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    With any luck, prayers and savings I’ll be in Michigan for spring, summer, and fall for our great fishing then alternate to FL and or AZ for winter when I retire. It’s good for my body and the 4Runners body

8. Jan 5, 2023 at 5:59 PM
    Jannoux

Jannoux [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. Anyone have any experience with Krown? Also the dealership I purchased from shouted out Glass Coat from SIMONIZ

*I did some research on SIMONIZ and I heard its a classic shitty dealership scam, so I'll just ignore that*

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Trail Runnah likes this.
  9. Jan 5, 2023 at 7:06 PM
    Mitsch25

Mitsch25 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    Another vote for PB Blaster. I used it for most of the frame, covered nicely and so far it is holding up very good. Reason I know, I installed new skid plates, which was not planned and had everything already coated...lol. I used FF for the inside of the frame for the reason yoy mentioned.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  10. Jan 5, 2023 at 7:46 PM
    qcTRDct

qcTRDct New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP KDSS
    I would use krown...

if it was spelled with a C. Since it isn't I use fluid film.

McSpazatron, 7385 and Mitsch25 like this.
  11. Jan 5, 2023 at 7:53 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    That’s exactly why I moved away from the Midwest over 20 years ago. I got tired of the flat plains and every inch of the state being private property.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread.

7DCEA0BC-EE49-4E3C-B5C2-5A734368AD13.jpg
    034885E4-E9E7-49EE-AC84-B5CA8A8FC668.jpg

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jan 6, 2023 at 1:32 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    So far, I've had very good luck with Krown. But I had the first application done when the vehicle was new with 600 miles. Going in for it's third annual application this coming May.

13. Jan 6, 2023 at 1:54 AM
    Matt83

Matt83 New Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Switched from Fluid Film to Wool Wax this year. Seems to hang on better then FF, smells better and applies easier in my opinion. As others have said, apply now and do not wait. If you are going to do it yourself, Wool Wax sells a spray gun kit that works well. I normally do a thorough application inside and outside the frame/underbody in the winter and then an exterior frame touch up in the spring.

Occasionally the front cover of the rear diff housing and lower, forward facing components might need a quick touch up mid winter.

14. Jan 6, 2023 at 4:04 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Premium
    I live a few hours away from you and we probably use even more salt than they do in your area. Having lived here for my whole life, I've seen my share of vehicles rust away completely and have evolved my rust proofing process over the years. First, here's my thoughts on the products you mentioned.

Fluid Film is great stuff. I've used it extensively on various projects and I'd recommend it. The real beauty of products like this is that they creep into small areas where salt would normally go when mixed with water and start corrosion. The downside of FF is that it's messy to apply and unless you really know what you're doing (or have somebody who knows what they're doing apply it), you may miss critical areas. Oh, and then there's the problem with it getting blasted off by road spray in certain areas over time.

Krown is similar to FF in that its oil based and sprayed on. The big advantage to Krown is that it's professionally applied. That said, they recommend annual resprays to replace what gets blasted off. I like the product and have it on two vehicles, but I don't care for the fact that at least part of the time, I'm running with less than optimal protection until a respray.

Wool Wax can be thought of as a thicker FF type product and that solves most of the issue of it getting blasted off. I'm not entirely sure if it actually creeps into tight areas as well as FF though.

I will add that in my experience, all of the above products will make your favorite mechanic both happy and sad. He'll be happy because he (generally) won't be working on a rusted mess. He'll be sad because he'll have rustproofing product residue all over him every time he works on your vehicle.

If you want to know what I did on my new T4R to protect it from rust when I bought it, read this:

Complete Corrosion Protection for my New T4R | Toyota 4Runner Forum [4Runners.com]

15. Jan 6, 2023 at 5:02 AM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    I was just talking to the wife about this....time to move

16. Jan 6, 2023 at 7:55 AM
    Jannoux

Jannoux [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thank you so much for such an in depth explanation! I have 2 separate mechanics in my area where one does FF and one does Krown, I am gonna get a quote for both and go from there. Thank you!!!

Too Stroked[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jan 6, 2023 at 8:14 AM
    Jannoux

Jannoux [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thank you all for all the advice, I decided to go with Krown because those damn Canadians know rust better than anyone. :canada:

18. Jan 6, 2023 at 9:01 AM
    JustATallDude

JustATallDude New Member+

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    Gibson Single Exit Exhaust - Magnuson Supercharger - Sprint Booster - GTR Ultra2 Highs - Evil Headlights w/ Morimoto LED - Anzo Black Smoked Tail Lights - LED Interior Lights - A-Pillar Phone Mount Mod - CTH Side Mirrors - Eibach TRD Pro-Lift Springs - Falken Wildpeak A/T3s 285/70/17 - FSW F246 17x8.5 - Lasfit LED Turn Signals - DDI Seat Jackers - Apex Overland Front Recovery Points - Big Red's Turn Signal Mod and AMD Mod - R4T Blackout Turn Signals - BlackVue DR590 Dashcam and more to come...
    I've been using Krown for my vehicle since new as well. I'm up in Plattsburgh NY so I'm very well aware of the rust we see. I've had no issues with mine so far and plan to keep it that way

rickystl likes this.
  19. Jan 7, 2023 at 5:46 AM
    roadrunner44

roadrunner44 New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium Silver
    Buying a 2023 4Runner and live in northern New Mexico - it's a desert climate but we do get snow and I ski so I'm typically driving up to the local ski area or Taos every time it snows, and take occasional longer trips to ski in Colorado/Utah. So my question is, do I need to do an undercoating of some sort when I take delivery? Also I'm planning to put the RCI set of 3 powder coated steel skid plates on it, does that change anything?

20. Jan 7, 2023 at 6:11 AM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    Do they use salt or whatever in northern New Mexico?

21. Jan 7, 2023 at 6:31 AM
    roadrunner44

roadrunner44 New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road Premium Silver
    Good question, I had to look this up as I wasn't sure. Turns out they use a combo of salt and cinder. Sounds like sometimes they do salt first, then cinder, and sometimes use a 4:1 mix of cinder:salt.

City:
    "City snow removal crews use a salt and cinder mix to melt the snow and ice. This is applied in all situations on all streets that are being maintained, as means of melting snow and providing traction; the ration is four parts cinder to one part salt to reduce corrosiveness of salt on equipment, vehicles and streets. The deicer is rock salt, a naturally occurring product that is mined in Carlsbad."

NMDOT:
    "A couple of hours before the storm is set to hit, road maintainer crews are called in as a preventative measure to ensure the equipment is ready and the trucks are loaded with materials (salt and cinder. The cinder is actually red pumice stone that’s mined west of Santa Fe). At the first sight of the wintry weather they begin putting down salt on the roads to keep them from freezing. A layer of cinder follows to provide traction. They repeat this process over and over again as needed throughout the storm and as long as it’s needed afterward."

22. Jan 7, 2023 at 7:00 AM
    STrooper

STrooper Let’s Go Places!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    14,17,2019 4runner TRD ORP / 2023 SR5P
    Fluid Film for the win for me. Have used it for 12 plus years and no issues. No need to change the product if it works!!!

Spare Parts likes this.
  23. Jan 7, 2023 at 10:00 AM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    I don't know about cinder, but it's not zero salt, so you might benefit from Fluid Film or whatever.

24. Jan 15, 2023 at 9:25 AM
    VbRover

VbRover New Member

Member:
    As others have said I would do it ASAP with either product you mentioned. I live north of you and they like to use sand w/salt so I get the abrasion of the sand against the chassis paint and then the salt to accelerate the corrosion. I've used all three products mentioned but chose Waxoyl hoping it lasts longer.

Trail Runnah likes this.
  25. Jul 17, 2024 at 10:47 PM
    whooooy

whooooy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 underground trd pro
    Did they drill holes on body?

26. Jul 17, 2024 at 11:52 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Nobody should be drilling any holes in anything!!! The rockers have plugs that can be removed (underneath) if you want to spray inside there. Just be aware, the rocker panels have little drains in them that could get clogged up with product. I didn’t spray inside them because nothing really gets in there.

27. Jul 18, 2024 at 3:37 AM
    laxman09

laxman09 Gassy Member

Member:
    Mahoning Valley, OHIO
    I use fluid film, but mostly because my BIL has his own undercoating business. They use regular FF, FF black, NHoil, and have their own thicker version of FF that they mix.

28. Jul 18, 2024 at 7:36 AM
    whooooy

whooooy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2024 underground trd pro
    Krown drills holes...not sure if I want that...

29. Jul 18, 2024 at 8:55 AM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    This for anyone who has done the wool wax. I had fluid film done on my 4runner and tundra when I had them. Nothing yet on my 23 4runner. Does the wool wax leave a film on the vehicle after it’s done. The fluid film did on both of mine. I’m talking about the overspray that comes up over the vehicle. I bought a plastic cover to prevent that when I first bought my 23 Pro. So whoever does it can cover the whole vehicle when it’s done. Not sure if wool wax causes that also.

30. Jul 18, 2024 at 9:07 AM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner
    I live in the rust belt. I have never used any undercoating products. What I do is buy spray wax(the cheap shit) and spray my undercarriage. I use 2 or 3 bottles. And I also lightly pressure wash once a month.

Seems to be working. Cause my undercarriage looks like new (4 years old and 70k miles)

RusPro17 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top