1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keeping Transmission Fluid Temp. Cool?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Scarif_1, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Jul 20, 2024 at 7:07 AM
    Scarif_1

Scarif_1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    Bilstein 6112s @ 3” w/ 5160s & Dobinsons 1.5" rear springs. SPC UCAs & Perry Parts Bump Stops. SCS F5s & Toyo RT Trail 285/70R17. C4 Sliders.
    Hi All,

Can someone confirm my understanding of gear usage to prevent overheating the trans. fluid? I was climbing a steep grade the other day on my way to Great Basin NF. in “D” (overdrive?) and noticed my TC. converter temp. rise up to 225F. Hearing 225F is the upper limit of what trans. temps. should be I eased off and stopped to cool down. Other temps. trans. at the pan and coolant were hovering around 200F. Considering I have a well maintained 2020 ORP and wasn’t towing anything but a few hundred pounds of dog and camping gear I was a little disappointed. Is the best method to keep the trans. fluid cool on our trucks when climbing, apart from adding an aftermarket transmission cooler, to keep it out of overdrive “D” and manually shift it down to 3rd? And when off road using the 4WD? And is the best way to cool down an hot trans. to park and idle? Any other tips to keep things cool would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Jul 20, 2024 at 8:33 AM
    catbrown357

catbrown357 New Member

Member:
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited 4WD
    If it's hunting in and out of 4th and 5th gear you're going to see increased temps. If I'm pulling grades I take it out of "D" and leave it in "S". 4th gear is default in "S" mode. I shift as necessary. If 225F is the upper limit, it's just that, the upper limit. I wouldn't worry about it unless it goes above that. BTW, how are you monitoring torque converter, pan and other trans. temps?

Scarif_1[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 20, 2024 at 8:57 AM
    Scarif_1

Scarif_1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORP
    Bilstein 6112s @ 3” w/ 5160s & Dobinsons 1.5" rear springs. SPC UCAs & Perry Parts Bump Stops. SCS F5s & Toyo RT Trail 285/70R17. C4 Sliders.
    Monitoring via a VeePeak BLE scan tool and the OBD Fusion app. Glad I set this up for the trip I’m on too. Thanks for the input. Living at sea level this is my truck’s first “real” trip SF, CA to CO. I’ll remember to keep it out of OD on steep climbs from now on. And probably set up an aftermarket trans. cooler when I get back home. Traveling out from Great Bason NF to Moab now.

4. Jul 20, 2024 at 9:00 AM
    catbrown357

catbrown357 New Member

Member:
    Tempe
    Vehicle:
    2011 Limited 4WD
    Definitely can't hurt. Enjoy your trip!

Products Discussed in

To Top