1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

India chasing the eclipse until the cows come home

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by The Knitted Brow, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Apr 22, 2024 at 4:37 PM
    The Knitted Brow

The Knitted Brow [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 White 4Runner
    After dropping My Life [sic] at the airport, India and I chased after her towards Austin, TX. Asking GoogleMaps to avoid highways, we took the scenic route from Phoenix, AZ towards Austin, TX.
    Follow me.jpg

The trip was to watch the eclipse at a friend’s home in Austin, TX, which was along the eclipse’s path on the GAIA.GPS app’s Eclipse Apr 2024 overlay map.
    IMG_0248.png

Just before Show Low, AZ (34.36659, -110.43570), India found a herd of wild horses during a stop so she could run around a bit. Not sure how the horses would react to India, I purposely distracted her in a different direction to give the horses plenty of space. The horses watched us walk by before eventually crossing the road behind us after India and I had passed them.
    IMG_0254.HEIC.jpg

While not always, sometimes I can appreciate GoogleMaps AI’s humor (lack of proficiency or malice intent) when you ask GoogleMaps to avoid highways, and it replies, “You’re on the fastest route.”
    Google AI youre on the fastest route WATER.jpg

More hilarious is when the livestock in front of you has this look that says, “GoogleMaps sent you this way. Didn’t it?”
    Where you come from.jpg

…even a baby cow.
    Baby vaquita.jpg

While planning the route, this Black Butte image (34.41043, -106.68632) on Google Maps caught my attention; thus, I intended to find it.
    Hole.jpg

Unfortunately, once there, it was on private land behind a locked gate and access was by appointment only.
    Not BLM.jpg

East from there, Highway 60 slips onto BLM, and I did as well, landing this corner (34.40310, -106.50862) to spend the night. The next morning, as we left, a group of University of New Mexico researchers entered the gate for work, as India and I were leaving.
    Just off the road.HEIC.jpg

We didn’t get too far before lunch (34.51429, -104.94448). It was nothing but a wide open range.
    Open Range.HEIC.jpg

After all these years of Overlanding, it’s always a bit unnerving to find a gate at the end of a long dirt road in the middle of nowhere, especially on BLM. “Don’t shoot. We come in peace.” Famous last words.
    We come in peace.png

I'm not sure it gets any better when, Near Vaughn, NM, these two guys, the Cowboy Ruckus (34.345557844129154, -104.97066126159213), argue across Highway 285. According to the Internet, this is known as Highway Art. Who knew? The Cowboy Ruckus, as it’s known, is a John Cerney creation.
    Across the street.png

Knowing public land in Texas is scant, while still in NM I turn off the asphalt early to find a place for the night before crossing the state line into TX the next day. Another great overnight spot in the middle of nowhere. This one is at the edge of Prairie Chicken Wildlife Management Area in Tatum, NM. Completely flat 360 degrees and as far as the eye can see.

Prairie Chicken Wildlife.png

While the sunset was spectacular, the wind was relentless for most of this flat land area in NM.
    No one around.HEIC.jpg

While not a sole in sight, I believe India spotted chicken somewhere.
    IMG_0271.HEIC.jpg

Leaving the Prairie Chicken Wildlife Management Area, something big in full stride on a mission jetted across the field. That something was not a deer. The body was too muscular and close to the ground with a long tail to be a deer. While I'm not sure what it was, it was big and not a deer. Maybe a Chupacabra. But not a deer. It was too far to appreciate on the dashcam, but I clearly saw something big.
    Chupacabra.png

It kind of reminded me of this Mountain Lion, also in full stride, that darted out in front of the 4Runner north of Globe, AZ, two years ago.
    Lion.png

India is in the weeds South of Lubbock, TX (32.86347, -102.07182). Unfortunately, I forgot the phone to record India jumping over me as I hid in the grass (wheat?), and India ran circles around me before jumping over me.
    India fields.HEIC.jpg

The temperature reached 90F in San Angelo, TX (31.42565, -100.44148). It’s the first week of April 2024; I'm not sure Phoenix, AZ, had broken 90F yet.
    90F.HEIC.jpg

Knowing the Enchanted Rock campground in TX was likely full since it was in the eclipse path, too, I headed that way hoping to shower there. While the showers were available, I could not find a way to bring India with me while I showered. It was too hot to leave her in the 4Runner without the air conditioner. Not sure the tree huggers would appreciate the 4Runner idling while I showered. So, we moved on to incidentally find this spot (30.41922, -98.87499) nearby, kind of nearby. After realizing the 4Runner was straddling a cattle trail I walked up the trail and thought cattle had not been on the trail in some time. Regardless, when I returned to the parked 4Runner, I took a moment to clear brush on both sides of the 4Runner in case cattle decided to come by.
    Cow parking.HEIC.jpg

As I prepped to shower, India began to bark that we had guests. It appeared the “Cows had come home.” Hoping they would walk along the cleared sides of the 4Runner, I put India inside and jumped in as well. Unfortunately, the cows were not happy I parked over their path.
    Cows come home.HEIC.jpg

Wanting to give the cows their space, I mooooooved [sic] the 4Runner further back and off their trail. However, I think India scared them away with her bark. While I stayed the entire night, I expected to hear the knock that I would have to move after “the cows not making it home” that night, and I believed India and I were seen walking around on a trail camera somewhere nearby.
    Moved for cows.HEIC.jpg

By the next morning, no one had knocked, and we headed out at sunrise. I noticed we were center mass on the eclipse’s path as we left. While a great spot, the eclipse wasn’t for another day, and India and I had to get to Austin, TX, a few more miles to go.
    Eclipse center mass.png

Another great trip. Fortunately for Overlanders, when the best picture from your phone is nothing but a big blur, we can always tell family and friends, “Overlanding is about the journey and not the destination.”
    Eclipse.jpg

Attached Files:

Products Discussed in

To Top