1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

illumination wire

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ThatGuyTheCooler, Apr 13, 2024.

1. Apr 13, 2024 at 3:30 PM
    ThatGuyTheCooler

ThatGuyTheCooler [OP] New Member

Member:
    SEPA
    Vehicle:
    2023 PRO
    I need to tap an illumination wire for my factory style switch. The neighboring de-icer switch wire (white, I believe) is super thin and pretty tight.

How do I tap such a small wire?

[​IMG]

2. Apr 14, 2024 at 1:00 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    IF your soldering skills are up to snuff, it's actually a simple matter. Cut into the white wire someplace that gives you room to strip the insulation back about 1/2 inch. Maybe a bit less. Once you have it striped back, tin both ends. Tin your add-on wire as well, same length. Slip a piece of heatshrink on, long enough to cover the stripped ends completely. Twist the end of the white wire, and your add-on wire together, with your add-on laying flat along the white wire. Now, twist the pair together with the other end of the white wire, and solder all three together. Slip the heat shrink down over the solder join you created, and voila! You've added your add-on to the white wire's circuit. It'll hold up quite well, as long as it's a good solder join. Nice and shiney, clean, bright, a good solder join. Remember that the first, most important step is a good mechanical connection before solder is added. Once you have a good mechanical connection, give it a good solder join. The heat shrink will prevent any shorting against bare metal it might come into contact with.

Good fortune!
    Pat☺

3. Apr 14, 2024 at 5:10 PM
    Old goat

Old goat Trout chaser

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    5th gen
    Very illuminating post Phantom thank you!

Products Discussed in

To Top