1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP: Overheating Question

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by cory15000, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Aug 21, 2020 at 11:58 AM
    cory15000

cory15000 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 4Runner SR5
    TBD!
    Alright Folks,

Hat's off to anyone that can properly diagnose this one. Haven't found any solutions on this site for what ails my 2011 4Runner SR5. She has 260,000 KM so it’s kind of expected that she needs some love but this one has stumped me and the local service department (albeit over the phone as I’m in the middle of a road trip from the Kootenays to Vancouver Island).

When driving on the highway, the temperature stays consistently in the mid range and AC blows somewhat cold...Things are good. However, when hitting forest service roads (FSR’s) and on steep inclines, the temperature gauge rises pretty quickly as the engine overheats and AC blows hot.

The first time it happened I didn’t notice until I parked and heard the coolant reservoir boiling. Let it sit for a bit but there was signs of coolant leaking/ boiling over and the reservoir was empty.

As soon as I got into town I picked up some coolant and topped off the reservoir but over a few days it seems to be losing coolant without any visual leaks. I stopped in at the closest Toyota for a quick visual inspection and topped off the rad and the reservoir. Unfortunately, they were booked solid so I wasn’t able to take it in but they said as long as it’s good on the highway then to avoid FSR’s until I can get it inspected and diagnosed further. They hinted that it could be the clutch fan based on the fact that it seems to only be overheating at slower speeds.

Have tried to read through forums and am driving myself insane trying to figure out the issue as it could range from a faulty rad cap to a blown HG.

Haven’t red lined it, oil is clear, coolant is clear and haven’t noticed any white smoke. The fan isn’t locking up but I’m not sure if it’s running at 100% because I’ve never took notice of it before.

Thank you for any help!

2. Aug 21, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion Resident A**h***

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Island in the Middle of the Ocean
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    If its not leaking externally its leaking internally.

Get a pressure tester. You can prolly rent or maybe even get your local auto store to do it for you for free.

3. Aug 21, 2020 at 12:41 PM
    grant318is

grant318is New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2015 Trail
    Sounds a lot like a fan/fan clutch issue. The way you can test it is to get something solid like a piece of wood/your hand and try to (gently) stop the fan while the car is running. If it stops fairly easily when the car is hot, you need a new clutch.

Be careful. Don't jam anything in there. Do it with the blades going away from you.

ThePnsh3r likes this.
  4. Aug 21, 2020 at 2:56 PM
    ThePnsh3r

ThePnsh3r New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOP
    As stated above - if you’re fine operating at higher vehicle speeds and overheating when going slower it may very well be your fan. Another possibility would be the water pump. Your radiator is responsible for heat dissipation (cooling the coolant), your fan provides airflow across the radiator fins, and your water pump moves the coolant through the closed loop. At this point I would lean towards the fan.

5. Aug 21, 2020 at 7:07 PM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    Another possibility if the pressure check is good, and the fan clutch checks out: Regarding the water pump, if it is not a factory Toyota pump, such as a replacement from an auto parts store, the aftermarket impellers are not the same, and don't move the same amount of coolant. That would lead to a slow overheat in a situation such as you described.

Products Discussed in

To Top