1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help on next steps...Rough Idle Issues

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by my2001-4-Runner-IS-old, Jul 22, 2024.

1. Jul 22, 2024 at 2:24 PM
    my2001-4-Runner-IS-old

my2001-4-Runner-IS-old [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi all. I have a 2001 4Runner with approx. 280,000 miles. Recently noticed a bit of a rough idle for several seconds in the mornings from cool and then idle would set and ran fine. I was too busy to check until one day, I put it in reverse and noticed a significant "putter" and rough throttle when accelerating. Checked under the hood and found that the air intake hose to the throttle body was dry rotted and cracked. I replaced it thinking it would fix the issue and while I had it down for repair, cleaned the MAF, checked air filter and cleaned the throttle body. Cranked and it still had the issue so I got new spark plugs thinking that may be the issue. This improved the issue but still a rough idle and around 45-50 mph, a rough acceleration and shudder feel from running lean. I pulled the throttle body off again and cleaned it again and this time sprayed all areas I could and noticed the PCV line had gunk in it so I replaced the valve and cleaned the line. I also checked for any noticeable holes in vacuum lines and don't see anything. Currently, without air conditioning, it seems to be trying to set itself to the right fuel\air mixture but still struggles at lower RPMs. When the air is on, it is worse running conditions....lots of sputter and almost a misfire feel but no backfire or any smoke from exhaust. What would you all suggest I look into next? Any advice is much appreciated and needed, thanks.

2. Jul 22, 2024 at 2:37 PM
    Chev Korbin

Chev Korbin New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995, Sierra Beige Metallic 4runner
    Couldn't hurt to pull sparkplugs,.. just one cracked plug and it will idle rough and miss. Check the simple stuff first.... oh wait i see that you checked those already,. lol my bad.
    How bout fuel filter? could be fuel related

3. Jul 22, 2024 at 2:42 PM
    my2001-4-Runner-IS-old

my2001-4-Runner-IS-old [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks, yeah I did those. I was looking into parts just now and see that I could try the throttle position sensor....it may be fried

4. Jul 22, 2024 at 2:44 PM
    Chev Korbin

Chev Korbin New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995, Sierra Beige Metallic 4runner
    yeah,. time to bust out the multimeter. havent had a lot of experience with the 3.4 and its quirks,. hopefully the 3rd gen crowd will chime in

Products Discussed in

To Top