1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heads up folding mirror mod for 2023 owners

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by colbydog, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Jun 19, 2023 at 5:57 PM
    colbydog

colbydog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2023 Magnetic Gray ORP
    I purchased KTJO’s folding mirror mod. I think other kits are similar. Nice packaging, good thorough instructions on their site….

works well with lock or new dash button.

HOWEVER… at some point in the 2023 build process, the mirror connector was changed. Doesn’t affect kit, but you can no longer separate mirror connector into two smaller connectors. You will therefore be UNABLE to feed cable back through old mount arm and back through new. Not sure when connector was changed, or if on every trim. My ORP was built late March 2023.

I considered my options, after going through the effort of removing both mirrors and door panels. You can cut all wires (about 8) and splice back, after installing new motors etc. I’m not cutting up my new truck like that, and it’s a shitty wAy to go.

Option 2, I have a kit to remove most pins from most connectors. A small jewelers tool kit would work, too. I was able to open up the connector and gently remove each pin, noting where it’s location is an also taking a pic. Wires will fit through holes easily when bundled together with tape.

Be aware of this if you have a 2023 especially a newly built one.

2. Jun 19, 2023 at 8:14 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Good info to share but sorry it happened. I hope KTJO can figure this out.

i wsnt their metal arm kit for my 19.

3. Jun 20, 2023 at 7:10 AM
    colbydog

colbydog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2023 Magnetic Gray ORP
    I also let KTJO know of this change to 2023 4Runners, but haven’t heard back.

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  4. Jun 22, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    Thepremier141

Thepremier141 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 SR5P
    MY22 is like this as well, got one side apart thinking it would be a relatively quick job, but was surprised by the connector being different.

5. Jun 22, 2023 at 3:55 PM
    colbydog

colbydog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2023 Magnetic Gray ORP
    Interesting. Might be the Premium level. I have an ORP. Resellers should make potential buyers aware of this. Could be daunting or a No/go for some folks.

Same here. Thought it would be quick, ended up taking mirrors back to work bench and finishing next day.

6. Jun 22, 2023 at 6:31 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    I actually tried this mod on my 2017 taco and didn't work. I really wanted to do the same on the 4R since my garage entrance is so limited but unfortunately the parts just didn't fit well. I ended up returning both sets. Kind of disappointed.

7. Jul 7, 2023 at 10:39 PM
    HBJ32

HBJ32 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP
    Anyone know if the kit has been updated for new connector?

8. Jul 8, 2023 at 4:04 AM
    colbydog

colbydog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2023 Magnetic Gray ORP
    Updating the kit connector is not the issue. The kit connector still mates with the truck connector. The truck connector can no longer be separated into two smaller connectors and fed through the mirror for disassembly. You either have to cut all the wires or, if you have the right tools, remove all wires with their pins from plastic connector. Then after upgrading mirrors, feed everything back and reassemble connector, or if you cut wires solder/splice them back together. Unless Toyota reverts back to old style connector, it is what it is.

Thepremier141 likes this.
  9. Jul 8, 2023 at 8:23 AM
    Austin26

Austin26 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    5th gen ORP
    Might want to edit the title to "power" folding mirror. I was confused and had to Google that company to understand what you were talking about as my 22 ORP folds as OEM.

MeefZah likes this.
  10. Jul 9, 2023 at 4:05 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    A bunch of electrical connectors seem to have changed within the last model year or two. I tried to install the MESO customs switched puddle light kit- the plug fits but I suspect a pin out changed as I blew a fuse and knocked out half the systems on the truck. Radio, PCS, all kinds of stuff dead. Thought I fried the secondary ECU but thank god it was only a fuse.

be careful…

Austin26 likes this.
  11. Jul 9, 2023 at 9:00 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    That's the challenge of being an aftermarket supplier. Toyota isn't going to help you out with advance notice of changes. You discover them when your customers discover them, and responding takes time and money.

12. Jul 9, 2023 at 9:35 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    It's always been curious to me that Toyota has never offered power folding mirrors as an option on their late model, 5th generation 4R's. At least on the upper trim levels.
    I just read that for 2023, the upper trim levels on the Highlander now come standard with power folding mirrors. Why not the 4r's ? Maybe with the phasing out of the 5th Generation, Toyota doesn't find it necessary (?) Would not surprise me if it is offered on the new 6th Generation.
    They certainly would be a big convenience for indoor, garage parking.

13. Jul 9, 2023 at 9:53 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    I have mixed feelings about it. I agree that folding mirrors are often convenient. They would be great for my own garage, since I have so little clearance. At the same time, I've been leery of anything that folds since I had automatic pop-up headlights on my '86 Accord. The pop-up mechanism never failed, but the cycling would break the headlight wires 2-3 times a year. Constantly fixing them was a pain.

Slopemaster likes this.
  14. Nov 6, 2023 at 8:38 PM
    Mowerman

Mowerman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2020 limited 4Runner
    I just wanted to reach out because I just purchased a 23 limited and added power folding mirrors. I was surprised that this was a plug and play unit because I had added these to my 21 nightshade and it had to be hardwired. I’m having an issue and wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. Mirrors work fine and as should. Problem that I’m getting some kind of power to my drivers BSM indicator on the drivers mirror. After a few minutes it will be faintly rapid flicker and then it will rapid flicker full brightness until I open the door or start the truck. BSM works fine no issues or lights on dash. But will do it overnight ( or parked if I let it ) since this one is plug and play, I unplugged the the pass through harness that goes in the kickpanel ( factory is black and below the airbag yellow plug if I remember correctly ) and so it’s restored to factory then it stops flickering. Unplug factory harness and do the pass through, problem reoccurs. Just wasn’t sure if anyone has seen this or had it happen and found the fix. As mentioned previously that I have installed these but hardwired it. The plugs are different and not sure what the schematic is to hardwire and not make this a plug and play since I know that the BSM works fine if I leave the factory harness plugged in and really just need the detection wires and power.
    Thanks and sorry for the long post.

15. Nov 7, 2023 at 12:36 AM
    raimieb

raimieb Hobby Mechanic - Love Our 4Runner!

Member:
    First Name:
    raimie
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP 4x4
    Lots…
    Installed on my 21 ORP just fine. No issues. So maybe 2022 was the year it shifted?

Technologic80 likes this.
  16. Dec 4, 2023 at 5:05 AM
    ToyotFan

ToyotFan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    I’m looking to do this on my ‘23 ORP but was curious about the BSM. We had a RAV4 that I was going to do this on a few years back but I would have had to cut and splice the BSM wires. No thanks.

17. Jan 27, 2024 at 8:52 AM
    T4RGoon

T4RGoon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    23ORP
    Here is a quick video on how to release the pins easy without special tools. I used a pick and pressed all of them one by one and you can hear a click when pressed correctly also once you remove the larger connector casing, you can then split the connector into two pieces before removing the pins. Super easy and quick once you know how. Also take photos to remember wire color and which of the two connectors they go to. It helps that one has 6 wires and the other has 4. I also tapped them into 3 and 3 (on the 6 pin) and 2 and 2 (on the 4 pin) so they are grouped and easy to reassemble. Hope this helps! No cutting required :yes::llama:

raimieb likes this.
  18. Jan 27, 2024 at 5:20 PM
    T4RGoon

T4RGoon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    23ORP
    I'm getting the same flickering on driver side on my 2023 orp...

19. Jan 27, 2024 at 7:08 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    +1,

Are you talking about the side mirrors? One more system to break.

20. Jan 27, 2024 at 7:12 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    Yeah, I was considering the side mirror mod until I reflected on my pop-up headlight experience with the Accord. I'm used to inching into the garage now, so it doesn't seem as useful as it did a while ago.

3JOH22A and Slopemaster[QUOTED] like this.
  21. Jan 27, 2024 at 7:56 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    If someone desires auto folding mirrors, I say go for it. I just prefer simplicity. Besides most of us 4Runner lovers park way out at the store. ;)

22. Jan 27, 2024 at 8:22 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    I installed the Cartrimhome kit on my 2018 SR5 about 3 years ago. Super involved, super tedious, but it was a fun project. Running the wire through the door harness sucked. Think I used a cat toy wand to fish the wire. Really have had no issues with them. Had to spray some WD40 in mirror hinge last summer because one would stick and not open all the way, but they've been perfect ever since.

23. Jan 28, 2024 at 6:16 AM
    Mowerman

Mowerman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2020 limited 4Runner
    Sorry to hear that for sure and super frustrating. I was in the process replying to your post but figured that the best thing is to dm privately ( I’ll give you my number ) and explain my situation. I’m just too long winded and detailed to type it all out because there is a back story. I will come up with a “cliffsnotes”version and post.

24. Apr 8, 2024 at 7:26 AM
    Tulausa

Tulausa New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Vehicle:
    2023 4runner sr5 premium
    Any one have a workaround on the bsm drivers side flickering. I installed the motors this weekend and have the same issue. If one could Identify what individual wire causes it. Maybe isolate it.

25. Apr 20, 2024 at 6:18 PM
    AT4R2023

AT4R2023 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Hello all, new to this forum. Would like to tell you that the 2023 tr4 SR5 has a completely different outer mirror harness made of 16 pins and Toyota refer it as H9 Right and I9 Left side. I think it has all the features including the BSM turn signal panoramic camera plus the heater and the motor for the mirror. I will post some photos for both the door harness and the mirror harness too. The harness in the video above is not what is found in the mirror assembly and I think this connector had been broken or disassembled before showing how to De pin the pins.This is the part number for the male connector in the door((Toyota 90980-12261 Housing, Connector M)) not the mirror assembly side ( WARNING when removing the panel you need to disconnect the negative battery terminal just to avoid accidental side door airbag sensor activation).

26. Aug 7, 2024 at 2:37 PM
    pants116

pants116 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black Limited 4x4 4Runner
    I just installed the cartrimhome ones. I like them overall, but I think it's odd that if you manually fold them (say you're at a campsite or something and won't really be driving for the next couple of days, but you'll still lock/unlock your car to get stuff before a hike), I would expect that they stay folded (i.e. the manual fold button overrides the lock/unlock signal response). However, next time I lock from the key fob/handle then unlock from the key fob/handle, the mirrors unfold...while the manual button is pressed in. For the cartrimhome, the ACC signal overrides their module to unfold...instead of it referencing the fact that the button is pressed in for fold. What I would have expected is if I press the fold button, they stay folded until that button is released. If I lock and unlock my car 50 times before turning it back on, they should not move. But, if I don't manually fold them, that's probably because I parked somewhere and will be driving again soon...and therefore would let the lock and unlock signals control their state.

When I was in college, I made a module for my 2011 Tundra that has power folding mirrors so that it would respond to lock/unlock but if I every manually folded them, no other input would work. I guess I just thought it would be like that and was a little disappointed...or, my module is faulty and needs to be replaced. Do yours do what I described mine doing, or do they stay folded?

I got some flicker too ones. I turned on ACC and back off and haven't seen it since...but I only finished the install this morning. Nothing while driving. I'll update if anything changes.

27. Aug 7, 2024 at 4:31 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    Maybe they changed the design, but mine aren't meant to be manually folded in. If I do, they click and pop like they got off track. Only issues I have are on really hot days and if the 4R, isn't on level ground one side doesn't go out all the way when I unlock. So about once a year or so I spray some WD40 in the moving parts, seems to help.

28. Aug 7, 2024 at 7:16 PM
    pants116

pants116 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black Limited 4x4 4Runner
    When I say manually folded, I meant by pressing the button. Sorry, I think I was not very clear. I am at no point pushing the mirrors in and out by hand.

29. Sep 7, 2024 at 11:54 AM
    Silversr5

Silversr5 New Member

Member:
    Anybody that was experiencing the BSM lights flickering, did you guys get it fixed yet? Or is it still flickering?

30. Sep 8, 2024 at 11:34 AM
    Mowerman

Mowerman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2020 limited 4Runner
    Do you have the newest version that is a plug n play? White plug to the drivers kick and obd pass thru harness?

Products Discussed in

To Top