1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gremlins took over my life, and my "new" to me 4Runner TRD Pro! (Long + Pictures)

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Abanero, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Aug 14, 2020 at 7:36 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Orange 4Runner TRD Pro
    *Moderator: Please move to correct area of forum as you see fit. In hindsight I felt it was more tailored for the general section?

For those who read my post within the New Member Introductions section, you know I set on a nationwide search, took a one way flight and drove two days back home with a 2015 Inferno Orange 4Runner TRD Pro. This was from a private seller.

I did my homework, did a couple of virtual tours with the owner, had a full inspection by a shop prior to arrival, flew down. Upon arriving at the meeting spot and seeing the vehicle in person for the first time I only noticed the following.
    • There was a high pitch tone when the A/C was on
    • The car had a slight smell - nothing an air freshener and a good clean couldn't take care of (or so I thought).
    Per the recommendation of the mechanic shop, the only things that would need attention sooner than later were brakes, drive belt and new tires. No problemo, I can work with that. Check was handed over to him, title was signed and turned over to me, I hop in and begin the journey.

I hit the first auto part store I could find to replace the cabin filter (just felt right) and grab an air freshener. I take out the air freshener and this is what I see. I shake my head, place the new one in, turn on the air and waahhhlaah, the high pitch tone is gone and puurrs like a kitten. Pop in the freshener, and even after an hour or so later its having trouble keeping up with the stagnate smell o_O

TRDP1.jpg

As I began my two day journey home, every so often I would see what appeared to be tiny fruit flies buzzing around the windshield - RIP. However, another one would appear within an hour or so - that one also met its maker. This cycle did not stop. I stop at a hotel for the night, and when I get in the vehicle the following morning I can smell the stagnant air, and of course the remainder of the ride home I am battling what I believe are fruit flies. At this moment I decided it will need a DEEP clean when I get home.

I clear the following weekend to begin the deep clean (vacuum, air ducts, the works). My wife and I start by taking out the slider in the rear and notice under the rail system there is a build up of what appears to be corn and mold (see below). I also notice a shotgun shell and some miscellaneous things.

TRDP3.jpg

Inevitably this leads us to remove the rail system to see what else might need a good clean. I then discover the beginning of my headache - corn, corn borers, mold, completely soaked padding. A lot of the corn borers were still alive, many had been there so long they already cycled through their lives, had baby borers, and well, you get the picture.

TRDP4.jpg
    TRDP5.jpg
    TRDP6.jpg
    TRDP7.jpg

It wasn't long before I realized the corn, corn borers, mold and wet padding was from the rear of the car to the very front. I decided I had no other choice but to remove all four seats, pin up the carpet, rip off all the old padding and begin the cleaning process..

TRDP9.jpg
    TRDP8.jpg
    TRDP10.jpg
    TRDP11.jpg
    TRDP12.jpg
    TRDP13.jpg
    TRDP14.jpg

My wife and I scrubbed every inch of that floor, removed all of the mold, sprayed mold/mildew preventative, sprayed insect killer, placed a couple of traps and let her sit for a couple of nights. Ultimately that brought a few more bugs out of the nooks we couldn't get to, and they were dead upon discovering them. It was evident that I would need all new padding, so I went to the local carpet store and purchased "Dreamwalk" padding, which is very dense and figured it may add to the sound deadening of things.

TRDP15.jpg
    TRDP16.jpg
    TRDP18.jpg

TRDP20.jpg
    TRDP21.jpg
    TRDP19.jpg

I then buttoned it all back up and added the Husky brand mats as you can see above. As I would expect, the stagnate smell was LONG gone and couldn't have been more fresh. I still did a full clean of the air ducts for good measure. That being said, I thought this gremlin was squashed - not so much. The day after I gave her a good wash. The next morning I looked in the back, under the carpet to see if any bugs might've made an appearance. As expected, there were none, however I felt it was a bit wet. This struck me as odd and I immediately became infuriated. I pulled a couple of things out to feel under the carpet near the B pillar and noticed it was wet .. :frustrated:. I was clueless. It wasn't until I looked at the Baja roof rack mounts and how bad of shape they were in that I had a suspicion that they could be the source. I decided to remove the roof rack and mounts and discovered this..

TRDP22.jpg

It was exactly like this under each mount .. its all made sense now as I wondered how all of the padding got wet in the first place. In fact, I think its been getting wet for a couple of years, if not longer. I cleaned those up the best I could, and due to the shape in which the roof rack and mounts were in, I decided to not reinstall and just purchase the delete kit. As you can see by the pictures below, I went pretty heavy on the RTV as I did NOT want a single drop entering the vehicle. I was over taking it apart, putting it back together, rinse/repeat. I just wanted to enjoy her.

TRDP23.jpg
    TRDP24.jpg
    TRDP25.jpg
    TRDP26.jpg

I tested my work after a solid 24 hour cure and have not had a single leak. To sum this up, I learned the owner lived on a farm and on occasion he would haul corn around for the deer. I believe the corn, mixed with a good ol' corn borer, mixed with water was the perfect breeding grounds for the mess I had to clean up. I don't know if I believe he knew or not, at least to the extent of what I discovered, but nonetheless I was exhausted. I am glad I can close that chapter.

I have since replaced the drive belt and had another full inspection. Everything is mechanically sound, so at least I don't have to worry about that. Next are brakes, followed by tires. Speaking of tires ..:frustrated: I noticed he had Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/R17. While I do like the look of the tires, they wont exactly suit my needs, especially in the winter. While searching for new tires, I went outside to double checked the size to make sure I had it right as I swear my mind was playing tricks on me and that I REALLY have 265/70/R17... welp, upon closer inspection, I seem to have 265/70/R17 on the passenger side, and 285/70/R17 on the driver side .. huh? seriously? I tell ya.. if its not one thing, its another. ALL of that to say, I have one question. Until I purchase new tires, should I have the 285's switched to the rear and the 265's up front? It would likely just be for a month. Also, should I expect any suspension concerns due to the two different sizes?

Thank you for taking the time to read this LONG post!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  2. Aug 14, 2020 at 7:45 PM
    Commited

Commited New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Metallic TRD ORP
    Tinted fronts, blacked out overlays.
    Yikes! Good job on getting her all cleaned up.

Han4Run likes this.
  3. Aug 14, 2020 at 7:49 PM
    M4dm4x

M4dm4x New Member

Member:
    Albany NY
    Vehicle:
    Stormtrooper4
    This story is so insane! I’m going to have to read this a few times!! Ugh

4. Aug 14, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! It's the deepest and most thorough clean I've ever done. I've never taken out seats or lifted carpet, but I can say that portion of things was easier than anticipated.

DrewMan and A&P like this.
  5. Aug 14, 2020 at 8:05 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Insane is certainly one way of putting it ..:annoyed:

DrewMan and M4dm4x[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Aug 14, 2020 at 8:30 PM
    CJT4Runner

CJT4Runner Frosty

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 TRD ORP
    Who the F buys a TRD Pro to haul corn?!?! Good job cleaning her up!

7. Aug 14, 2020 at 9:20 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You’re telling me. Thanks!

DrewMan likes this.
  8. Aug 14, 2020 at 9:23 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I am guessing I am risking major harm to my differential if I don’t get the tire discrepancy fixed ASAP, correct? If I include the trip home, plus mileage since being home, I’d say I’ve put approximately 1,500 miles with the tires setup the way they are. There’s also no telling how long the previous owner had them on.

Red_5, DrewMan and fajitas21 like this.
  9. Aug 14, 2020 at 10:04 PM
    RusPro17

RusPro17 Back home again!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro Solar Octane
    SCS wheels and Westcott lift
    All I can say after reading that WOW. Nice job cleaning it up.

DrewMan and Abanero[OP] like this.
  10. Aug 14, 2020 at 10:19 PM
    MountainMan

MountainMan New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    What kind of moron puts 1" taller tires on one side of his vehicle? This HAS to be a Midwest vehicle.

My dad bought a newer Jeep Wrangler from a used car lot only to find out that they took off the nice aftermarket rims and tires that came on it and put on a set of 16" steel wheels with undersized tires.

He drove it that way for a couple of years, then a month ago, got a flat tire in the woods. He installed the factory spare on it, which was 1" taller than the other tires. He made it a few miles on the highway when lights started going off and it was running rough. He pulled over and could smell the differential cooking.

I had to come get him and take the flat tire into town to get repaired.

I'm surprised the 4Runner wasn't giving off warnings with the wrong size on one side. Obviously the rear differential is set up different than a Jeep's.

I'd put the two taller tires on the back immediately and not use 4wd until you can get the proper sized tires on all four corners.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    A&P, scottalot, DrewMan and 1 other person like this.
  11. Aug 14, 2020 at 10:20 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I'd think that would be ok, as long as you keep it in 2H.

Really great job with the cleanup. It always seems to be a crapshoot buying someone else's vehicle. You just never know how (or not) they did with the upkeep. Good luck going forward. Your wife is a trooper.

DrewMan, peter2772000 and A&P like this.
  12. Aug 14, 2020 at 10:23 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Did the vehicle keep wanting to drift to the side with the smaller tires? Unbelieveable.

DrewMan likes this.
  13. Aug 14, 2020 at 11:31 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 GX460
  14. Aug 14, 2020 at 11:54 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    Wow what an ordeal. Glad you were able to sort it out quickly.

as for the tires, I bet the 285’s were in the back at one point and someone rotated not realizing different tire sizes.

Regarding the delete kit, I’m not a fan of rtv. Why not use use the oem composite Or rubber washers. That’s what Toyota used from the factory.

she’s a great looking truck and color. Glad to hear your finally enjoying her :)

DrewMan likes this.
  15. Aug 15, 2020 at 5:14 AM
    DJD33

DJD33 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Indiana
    Vision wheels General grabber ATX tires Readylift 3/2, Baja Rack and lader
    whoa!! I was curious if the mounts were leaking. Glad it all worked out

DrewMan likes this.
  16. Aug 15, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    You might want to change your rear diff fluid and send a sample out to Blackstone labs to be sure you don't have another gremlin waiting to bite at the worst time. Hopefully the open diff just thought it was taking a corner for the last 1500 miles. Hopefully there wasn't much wear on the tires and he spent most of his time on dirt roads. SMDH sometimes accounting for good taste doesn't mean intelligence as well. Love that color! I hope your demons are finally all exercised!

DrewMan likes this.
  17. Aug 15, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    taco_runner

taco_runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Vehicle:
    4Runner TRD OR Premium
    Wow you made a great job. It's like cleaning a crime scene.. but have you found the arm and leg yet? :D

DRobs, DrewMan, MeefZah and 1 other person like this.
  18. Aug 15, 2020 at 8:18 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Great cleaning job and a goodly amount of patience! Much more than I have!!

DrewMan, Abanero[OP] and A&P like this.
  19. Aug 15, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    No freaking way!

Just go 265/70/r17 all around. Wow...that actually could cause some issues over time, so fix that right away.

DrewMan likes this.
  20. Aug 15, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Wow, what an ordeal you wen thru. I cannot believe that the mech didn't notice the tires being of different size nor the smell inside and didn't investigate further. But good on you for fixing all your issues. I would recommend changing all your fluids as soon as possible. I bet the previous owner didn't take care of it like he should have.

A&P, DrewMan and MI-FL off roader like this.
  21. Aug 15, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    Blue 4ever Runner

Blue 4ever Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2019 Blue 4Runner
    Blacked out badges, window deflectors, smoked 3rd brake light. I have a Borla muffler on order as well as some color matched engine cover stickers. I'll be painting the stock wheels soon as well. Falken tires in the fall as well.
    First off, I really like that color. Secondly, you did a great job cleaning her up and finding the root cause of all the wetness. A ton of work but you now have a no stink vehicle. Nice! Thirdly, I's do what Mountain Man said about the tires until you get new ones. I can recommend Falken Wildpeaks. Great all around tires. Some have had problems with getting them balanced correctly but these are not the only tires with that problem. If you don't do hard core off roading go with P rated tires, they are lighter and easier to balance. I have had no problems with mine. Change all fluids except the tranny depending on mileage. The trans is a little tricky to do because it's a "sealed" unit. Search for posts about that. Otherwise, great looking Runner and great job so far.

peter2772000 likes this.
  22. Aug 15, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Surprisingly not too bad. I remember feeling it drift a tad to the right (ever so slightly) if I took my hands off the wheel. Other than that, I never felt a "pull" per se.

I am guessing you're right. Is there any reason they'd just have 285's in the rear in the first place? As for the RTV, is there a reason why you're not a fan? I went with RTV after reading a lot on the forum. I though about just using the hardware that came with the delete kit, but after tearing that thing apart twice, I didn't want to risk it. Am I asking for trouble w/ the RTV?

Yep! The mounts are in terrible shape. In fact, the entire roof rack is rusting out. I won't be putting that one back on.

Would the sample kick back results that either show a concern or render it safe and OK? The tires are definitely old and quite worn. The more I think about it the more I cringe about what could be lurking as I am sure its been like this for far longer than the 1500 miles I've put on it. As for his terrain, he "claims" nothing more than dirt, farm, etc., nothing hardcore. I agree w/ taste vs. intelligence! I have the original purchase paperwork - it looks like it was an all cash deal. I am guessing he seen this as something to tow a trailer, some kayaks, and the farm. I know he was on the highway quite a bit as well as it was his daily commuter.

It's hard to fully trust. I figured I did all of my due diligence, but I could've never seen any of this coming. I had more options outside of RTV, but I read so much about it on the forum that I just figured it was the "go to" for this kind of repair - granted probably not as much as I used.

hahaha ..well, ya never know. There's a couple areas I've yet to discover, so its a matter of time.

That's exactly what I am going to do ..ugh.

I thought the same thing - two mechanic shops, two different states, not a single notice? I mean, I didn't notice either, so I suppose I can't give them too much crap.

Thanks! I am loving the color as well. While it was a lot of work, I feel like I've learned a lot about it. I feel like she's finally in a good home. I was looking at the Pirelli Scorpion AT plus, especially being in Michigan with every kind of weather you can think of. I will read about the Falkens you suggested! I've seen a few recommendations on changing all of the fluids - is that because of the tire issue and the potential for differential concern?

Now that I've replied to just about all the responses that touch on every area, I want to say THANK YOU for the huge response in this thread. Today we got the 285's switched to the rear and the 265's up front. Should I have any concern with that so as long as I dont engage 4WD, or am I still doing damage due to two different tires sizes? I def. wont put it in 4WD, but I am concerned that when I do get all of the new 265's put on, and I engage 4WD for the first time that I will get a ton of codes. Is there something I should listen for? Ugh - I already feel like the differential is doomed with so many unknowns.

A&P[QUOTED] likes this.
  23. Aug 15, 2020 at 2:09 PM
    Blue 4ever Runner

Blue 4ever Runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2019 Blue 4Runner
    Blacked out badges, window deflectors, smoked 3rd brake light. I have a Borla muffler on order as well as some color matched engine cover stickers. I'll be painting the stock wheels soon as well. Falken tires in the fall as well.
    As long as you keep it in 2WD you should be good. I doubt any real damage was done with the tires being different sizes though. These trucks are pretty tough. The fluid changes to me at least are piece of mind and to see if there's any metal particles in the diff fluid from the tire sizes. I doubt it because there isn't a huge difference in size but ya never know. I don't know anything about the Scorpions personally but have heard that they are good tires. I would get new tires as soon as you can for safety sake. We enjoy trying to help each other out on here and there are some really knowledgeable people here with tons of experience with 4Runners. I've been working on cars for a long time but I'm pretty new in the world of Toyota myself. I've learned a lot since I'm here and from my son who's on here and has a 2016 SR5. Feel free to ask all you need to, that's one of the reasons we're here.

A&P, 4Runner fun and MI-FL off roader like this.
  24. Aug 15, 2020 at 2:10 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    BlackStone should be able to tell if there are an abundance of metals from your diff in the sample that would warrant any concern. I think @trlhiker has the right idea by changing all the fluids. You can invest in an OBD II bluetooth app and monitor trans temps to see how it's performing for the time being. These apps make checking your trans fluid level much easier as well. If the truck is not acting funny, making any strange noises, or throwing any codes, there is no reason to get overly concerned. These are just precautionary measures we are mentioning. But I understand the cringe factor. I took a screen shot of a rear diff analysis from my 5th gen with an ARB Locker to show you what the report consists of.
    Screenshot_2020-08-15 12 4RUNNER-RD-190730 pdf.jpg

A&P and DrewMan like this.
  25. Aug 15, 2020 at 2:17 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 GX460
    I wouldn't worry about the diff, personally.

Just verifying, you bought from a dealer? I'd be contacting the general manager and complaining. This wasn't some $1000 POS beater you were buying with an expectation that it was a piece of shit, this is a high end 4 year old truck.

DrewMan and MI-FL off roader like this.
  26. Aug 15, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Private sale by the previous owner, per post #1.

A&P and 4Runner fun like this.
  27. Aug 15, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2020 GX460
    Ah my bad. You didn't notice he was a big dumb hillbilly when you met him?

28. Aug 15, 2020 at 5:11 PM
    DrewMan

DrewMan 2016 4RTP-KDSS

Member:
    Middle Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Daystar 1.5" Rear Coil Spacer (Mid Left), Level 8 Tracker Pros 17x9, 275/70/R17 B.F. Goodrich TKO's, N-Fab Nerf Steps
    Man oh man! … This really sounds nuts; I just read your post and I’m truly sorry that you had so much trouble and I hope that you still own it because it’s being taken care off now! … Previous owner needs his ask kicked! … I say this because I do a lot with my 2016 4RTP but I take good care of it…when it’s dirty I wash it, when I get it filthy from being on the trails or camping I clean it after having some fun! Regarding the tires issue just go buy you some new 285’s all around because you should not have any issues with fitment since it’s a Pro. Take a gander at these affordable all terrain tires; MILESTAR PATAGONIA M/T

Please share some pics of your ride with us.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  29. Aug 15, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I agree w/ the fluid changes! Thanks for the feedback on at least what you've heard. I do believe I will be ordering those on Monday, but will be doing some additional reviews tonight.
    I have def. got that vibe from this forum community. I am finding a ton of value and will likely always have more questions than answer, but I hope to be a contributor at some point and time.

Perfect! I just went to their site to order the test kit, but I am not seeing one for differential fluid (maybe need to scope it out more?) It isn't acting funny, and nothing seems strange. However, I don't know how much is masked by the road noise the Nitto Ridge Grapper M/Ts make? When I put it in reverse its as seamless as can be, when I put it in Drive, you can feel it engage, but that's about it. I am not even sure that's an issue, just noticed its not as seamless with no engage feeling like Reverse is. I have no codes at this point. I heard the quickest little beep/sound from the dash with a very quick light when putting it in Drive the other day, but it happened so fast I couldn't even see what symbol lit up, and it hasn't returned. Thank you for that screenshot! I will def. be sending in a sample

As noted by another member (thanks!), it was from a private owner. Haha .. surprisingly he did not look like a hillbilly or out of place at all for that matter. I do plan to have a follow up conversation with him, but I dont know if it will get me anywhere. It's worth a shot I suppose. If it were a dealer, that would be another story .. there would be A LOT of conversation happening with some pocket books being opened.

A&P likes this.
  30. Aug 15, 2020 at 5:41 PM
    Abanero

Abanero [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I appreciate the kind words, and yep, she's still with me and will be for a LONG time. My wife loves it as well and she's trying to steal it ..however, she's as over these gremlins as I. In fact, I just hit her with the tire one this morning, so while I went kayaking with a large chunk of family (she wasn't able to go due to our daughters nap schedule), she took it to the tire shop and had them switch things around, however she was NOT too thrilled when I told her we don't quite know yet, but we could have diff issues..

As for pictures, I've included a few in my new member introduction post. Here's the link (https://www.4runners.com/threads/hello-from-michigan-first-toyota-first-post-lengthy.15075/)

A&P and DrewMan[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top