1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gen 5 Audio Setup (non-JBL)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by DIRTRCR13, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Jul 20, 2024 at 7:31 PM
    DIRTRCR13

DIRTRCR13 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerm
    The 405
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Fuel Trophy 17x8.5, Nitto TG2's, Roof Rack delete, RC spacer lift and so much more to come...
    Just finished up the initial install of my amp. Its been a "project" that started around mid-January but work has been crazy. My door speakers have been done for over 18 months along with full sound deadener and acoustic foam.

Anyway, I've always been one to go in a different direction than most.
    My main goal of this install was to keep everything as hidden as possible, look completely factory and loose nothing in the cargo area.

Equipment:
    Stock Head Unit
    Amp- Audio Control D-5.1300
    Front dash- DD Audio 2.75" ( 800HZ+)
    Front door- Kicker KS 6x9 3-way ( 60hz+)
    Rear door- Kicker KS 6.5 2-way (80hz+)
    Rear hatch- Kicker CT Comp 6.75 DVC (wired series parallel for 4 ohm load) x2 (40-100hz) with Taco Tunes custom HD mounts.

Dash speakers are still wired to the head unit with a cap installed as the crossover. I may add an additional amp for them later, or do something else completely different. Who knows?!?!

Front and rear doors are wired directly to the amp and hatch woofers are on the sub channel.

My reason for not doing a 6x9 component set was to bring the sound stage up and forward. Cant really do that if you are only playing 5Khz+. The ability of the lower frequencies "widen" the stage and then having the door speakers being able to 5Khz+ adds even more depth.

The amp is mounted on a DIY rack, under the passenger's seat. Base material is 20ga steel with 1/4 HDPE for rigidity secured by the rear seat bolt and a 3rd toward the front, just behind the front seat mount structure. Then covered in black carpet.

For signal into the amp, it is provided from the rear door factory speaker wires with the hatch connectors connected to complete the circuit.

Now I need to spend some time with the DSP portion and get everything adjusted and set. So far, I have just the input and output gains, along with the cross over points.
    Overall, it was a fun project. If I had to do it again, there are only a few things I would have done differently, but overall, Im happy with how it turned out, so far....

Pics are for those who want to know about space under the seat....

IMG_20240720_200928700.jpg
    IMG_20240720_203651349.jpg
    IMG_20240720_203755217.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2024
    Thacrow likes this.
  2. Jul 20, 2024 at 7:44 PM
    DIRTRCR13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerm
    The 405
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Fuel Trophy 17x8.5, Nitto TG2's, Roof Rack delete, RC spacer lift and so much more to come...
    3rd bolt on rack...

IMG_20240714_152953566_HDR.jpg

Thacrow likes this.
  3. Jul 20, 2024 at 9:34 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Looks great dude well done. Did you remove the heater/AC duct under the seat?

DIRTRCR13[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 20, 2024 at 10:07 PM
    DIRTRCR13

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerm
    The 405
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Not really. I removed the extension piece that goes thru the front mount structure. Then rolled/folded the carpet at the heat sink. It acts as more of a diverter and ends up blowing out the sides instead of directly on the amp. This should provide a little bit of cooling in the summer, yet not cook it when the heater is on in the winter. Thats my though process anyway...

Thacrow[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top