1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Gauge and Speed odometer NOT WORKING

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by TOYOTAFANGUY, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Oct 25, 2023 at 5:20 PM
    TOYOTAFANGUY

TOYOTAFANGUY [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TOYOTA 4RUNNER V6 2WD
    VEHICLE: 2005 TOYOTA 4Runner 2WD V6

Hello, I am new to the forum and I am hoping to get some help with the new 4Runner I just purchased. I purchased this vehicle and I am having some minor issues. The speedometer and gas gauge does not work. I got the vehicle for a good price so I went ahead with the purchase since it ran and drove fine.

GAS GUAGE PROBLEM: I would like to fix this problem first because not knowing the amount of gas I have is of course the most important problem. When the vehicle is off the gas gauge is way below E and does not work at all. As well on the Dash the MPG, Miles until Empty does not work as well. EVERYTHING IS AT 0 ;/ My first thought was the fuel sender is bad, but what makes me believe it’s not the fuel sender and may be some electrical issue or cluster error is when I am very low on gas the orange light comes on saying I need gas. Which makes me believe the fuel sender is working properly. Could it be my cluster or something else does the cluster affect the Miles left until empty digital reading on the center dash under the radio? My plan was to use a Obd2 scanner to see if it will show the fuel reading's. I would like to DIY THIS IF POSSIBLE.

SECOND ISSUE Speed odometer and tachometer does not work: I went to auto zone to have them run a diagnostic on the car. The speed sensor came up as well as the crankshaft position sensor. I know where these sensors are located and I should be able to replace them. Would this possibly be able to fix my issue by replacing the sensor. My plan was to buy and hook up a obd2 sensor to see if this will show the readings there. I had another mechanic run a obd2 scanner on the car but he said he was not able to pull the mileage unless he was lying. Everything else works on the cluster, temperature, RPM ETC.

BESIDES ALL these problems the vehicle does run and drives and shifts fine even at highway speeds. I am new to the forum and I am hoping to DIY THESE if I can. Thanks for your help :)

Codes:
    P0335 Crankshaft postion Sensor A circuit 2. Crankshaft postion Sensor Circuit (NE Signal)
    P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor

IMG_2253.jpg
    71967711409__7F6891F7-443F-4A10-BACD-E2602FFE0494.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  2. Oct 25, 2023 at 5:46 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion Resident A**h***

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Island in the Middle of the Ocean
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Good ole troubleshooting over the internet. Almost is impossible especially with electrical gremlins.

First just to get this out of the way. You shouldn't of bought it obviously taking over someone elses problems. If it was an easy fix they would of fixed it.

Check resistance for the fuel sending unit.

Can you post the codes that was pulled? It could be the part but it also could be wiring etc. I'm never a fan of throwing parts at stuff but you need to know how to troubleshoot it if not.

3. Oct 25, 2023 at 6:17 PM
    TOYOTAFANGUY

TOYOTAFANGUY [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TOYOTA 4RUNNER V6 2WD
    True me I am not that stupid LOL. I am in Puerto Rico so its the nature of my location if I was in the States I would of never bought this vehicle. Vehicle selection here is limited and vehicle costs are way more here compared to the US. Any other vehicle similar was at least 4 thousand dollars more. No way im paying the fees and shipping to get a vehicle over here from Florida.

Anyways back to the forum the codes are:

P0335 Crankshaft postion Sensor A circuit 2. Crankshaft postion Sensor Circuit (NE Signal)
    P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor

kolter45 likes this.
  4. Oct 30, 2023 at 9:07 AM
    Bmxer06pa

Bmxer06pa New Member

Member:
    The rear passenger speed sensor is responsible for the speedo/tach.

kolter45 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top