1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front LSD vs front locker

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Forever, Apr 4, 2023.

1. Apr 4, 2023 at 1:09 PM
    Forever

Forever [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    5th gen SR5
    Eibach Pro stage 1 suspension. Kenda Klever R/T 33x10.5r17 TRD wheels blacked out Freedom off road UCAs Cornfed 1/2” rear spacer Bodyarmor4x4 Hiline bumper Smittybilt X20 10k winch Roadshock LED light bar Badlands D ring shackles TrailGear roof rack Raptor lights, amber fogs, pro grill, etc.
    Background;

Been doing a lot of exploring in the PNW mountains lately in my 5th gen SR5. In low traction scenarios like deep snow and mud, the open diffs + ATRAC aren’t cutting it. I plan on installing an ARB locker in the rear, which leads to the dilemma of the front diff, either another ARB or a torsen helical LSD, similar to a TrueTrac. I’m leaning toward the LSD for simplicity sake and less stress on the IFS components.
    Here are the pros and cons that I’ve thought of so far

LSD pros:

cheaper
    Little to no maintenance
    Automatic engagement (potentially a con)
    Easier on IFS components
    Locks up hard in the snow, mimicking a locker (from videos I’ve seen)
    can be engaged with ATRAC when a wheel is off the ground

LSD cons:

automatic engagement can lead to wonky handling, torque steer etc.
    Becomes disengaged under flexed out wheel off the ground scenarios.
    ATRAC + LSD only marginally better in cross axle rock crawling scenarios vs ATRAC alone. (I’m assuming).
    LSD Reactive nature vs proactive nature of a locker. Not a true locker.

I know nothing beats a locker, and an ARB has the added benefit of being selectable. The drawbacks are the higher cost, added labor, higher potential of mechanical failure compared to a limited slip, and has the greater potential to break parts.

Does anybody have experience with either? Would a front locker be the way to go or would a front LSD + ATRAC be good enough for most trails? I’d rather buy nice than buy twice.

2. Apr 4, 2023 at 1:13 PM
    MartianArmada

MartianArmada New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Harford County, MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Wildpeaks
    I have nothing to add about adding an LSD in a 4Runner but this is a neat idea! Had a factory front LSD in my old MazdaSpeed3 and it definitely put the power down much much better vs. a car with an open diff.

Curious to see if people have any input on this subject.

3. Apr 4, 2023 at 1:21 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    For offroad stuff, locker.

4. Apr 4, 2023 at 1:43 PM
    Forever

Forever [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    5th gen SR5
    Eibach Pro stage 1 suspension. Kenda Klever R/T 33x10.5r17 TRD wheels blacked out Freedom off road UCAs Cornfed 1/2” rear spacer Bodyarmor4x4 Hiline bumper Smittybilt X20 10k winch Roadshock LED light bar Badlands D ring shackles TrailGear roof rack Raptor lights, amber fogs, pro grill, etc.
    @Nano909 those were my thoughts. I want to like the idea of a front LSD. But upon further research, it doesn’t seem like the safest idea.

5. Apr 4, 2023 at 1:52 PM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Turtle

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Central Pa
    Vehicle:
    2020 4runner

I had a front lsd in my 1st gen explorer years ago. I hated how it pulled one way or another on snowy roads. That "limited slip" ones slipping ones gripping so it will pull left or right. Other then that is was great.

Is there even a limited slip available for the front diff? I don't even think there is one available for the rear.

6. Apr 4, 2023 at 1:58 PM
    Forever

Forever [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    5th gen SR5
    @hossler1788 ECGS has a torsen from nitro gear listed on their website for the Toyota 8” clamshell ifs.

7. Apr 4, 2023 at 3:28 PM
    Forever

Forever [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    5th gen SR5
    Yeah I’m considering those. ARBs are cheaper by a good bit. But, I’ve also heard about the persistent air leaks that plague people who use them and how they’ll malfunction on the trail. Comes back down to buy nice or buy twice.

8. Apr 4, 2023 at 5:31 PM
    Yamahamer

Yamahamer New Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Off Road
    Installed ARB air lockers in front and rear axles in my van back in 2008. They have been trouble free, so if done right problems with them should be minimal.

Stoney Ranger and Forever[OP] like this.
  9. Apr 7, 2023 at 6:32 AM
    markmb45

markmb45 New Member

Member:
    South Ogden, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner Trail Edition
    3” OME Lift, JBA UCA’s, 275/70R17 General Grabbers, ARB air compressor
    My understanding was that you couldn’t run a LSD up front due to the ADD system. While in two wheel drive with the driver side spider gear spinning the LSD clutch pack would burn up. An ARB or e-lockers are the way to go.

McSpazatron likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top