1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Evaluating 4Runner after long inactivity; concerns about seals and rust

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by modrod, Oct 11, 2023.

1. Oct 11, 2023 at 2:39 PM
    modrod

modrod [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi. I'm new here and have a Gen 4-specific question.

I've been asked to evaluate an '05 SR5 4Runner for my cousin. Her partner has had health issues and hasn't driven or even started the vehicle for at lease four years, maybe five or more. He's now in a memory care facility and she wants to get the car out of the driveway.

It's low miles, around 110k. I'm not sure if it's a six or eight cylinder. Pretty sure it's an automatic. I'll look at it this weekend and need to know if there is anything specific to these vehicles that I should look for.

I'm a long-time gear head and know the basics that it will need, such as battery, hoses, belts, probably tires (hot, dry desert environment), fluid changes, and possibly a fuel system flush. I'm wondering about seals. The car may have lived in the Atlanta area before coming to the desert, so I don't know about any rust issues. What else should I pay attention to?

My cousin is considering having the dealer get it road ready, but I'll try to discourage that. One of her grand kids might be interested in it but if not, I may offer to buy it as a project. (Like I really need another car project.) If one of the kids wants it, I'll find a local garage to work on it. Otherwise, I'll do the work myself.

Thanks.

2. Oct 11, 2023 at 4:08 PM
    xtremewlr

xtremewlr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
    Lots with more in the works
    All 4th gen (2003 to 2009) 4Runners are automatics with the A750 variant transmissions.

Nothing overtly special to look for in this situation. It's going to need an oil and filter change, new battery, air cleaner, so on and so forth. Normal stuff any car would need after sitting for a long time.

If it's a V8, the timing belt will be of some concern. V6 has a chain so nothing to worry about there. The V8 timing belt can be inspected via the driver side timing cover, held on with some 10mm bolts. Just pop the bolts out and you can pry the timing cover out of the way far enough to inspect the timing belt sufficiently.

3. Oct 11, 2023 at 4:21 PM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker Old As Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    AS mentioned if a V8 the timing belt would be a concern, it's should be replaced every 90,000 miles normally, if it hasn't been replaced it's due...but even if it's been replaced I would replace it just because it has sat for such a long time.

My only other concern would getting all the old fuel out completely.

Of course replace all lubricants, fluids, belts and possibly water hoses.

modrod[OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 11, 2023 at 4:23 PM
    modrod

modrod [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for all that. I'll know more this weekend when I can crawl around it and look at whatever paperwork she has for it. I suspect it's been well cared for. I don't know if it's 4WD. (I'd only buy it if 4WD.) Her grand kids are probably just looking for transportation.

xtremewlr[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 11, 2023 at 4:46 PM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker Old As Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    If it's a 4WD it could be possible that the actuator is stuck, Toyota recommends engaging 4WD at least one a month and run it for a few miles to keep the actuator freed up, many 4WDs that this hasn't been done end up with a stuck actuator especially on older vehicles.

modrod[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 11, 2023 at 4:55 PM
    AuSeeker

AuSeeker Old As Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 Limited
    xtremewlr likes this.
  7. Oct 11, 2023 at 5:16 PM
    modrod

modrod [OP] New Member

Member:
    AuSeeker[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 12, 2023 at 12:04 PM
    TRDSD

TRDSD Warrior of the Wasteland

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Off Road Premium
    Consider the state of the gas that's been sitting in the tank, too. It does break down and deteriorate. Not the best to run through the fuel system and injectors. I'd try to syphon out what's in there as much as you can and get some fresh gas in there. At the minimum, see where the fuel level is when you can get the system clicked on with the key and then add some fresh gas on top. Then go drive and burn it off and run some good fuel cleaner through it in subsequent tanks.

9. Oct 12, 2023 at 12:12 PM
    modrod

modrod [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yep. Draining or, most likely, siphoning the gas should be before the ignition switch is turned on, to keep the bad stuff out of the injectors and lines. Also, I'm not sure the tires will still hold air, so the initial drive to mix the remaining old and new gas could be a while.

10. Oct 12, 2023 at 1:46 PM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Silver ‘07 Sport V6 4WD @ 263K miles
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    If you happen to have the VIN, check the 4th character. A “B” indicates 4WD.

11. Oct 12, 2023 at 2:36 PM
    modrod

modrod [OP] New Member

Member:
    Good to know but I won't see the vehicle or the paperwork until Saturday.

Products Discussed in

To Top