1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Error Lights VCS PCS and Traction for 2020 model

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by akki445, Aug 19, 2024.

1. Aug 19, 2024 at 9:40 AM
    akki445

akki445 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Akhil
    Vehicle:
    2020 Trd off road
    Did a wheel change, installed a 2" inch levelling kit. Took it to alignment shop. After alignment it started showing all the errors and lights on for traction, pcs and crwal control. I think it needs a zero point calibration.

The pins are different from 2020 and unfortunately i have a 2020 ORP. So I can't use the paper pin method which i found on different forums shorting TS and CS.

Is there any DIY methods for 2020 models other than techstream. Did anybody happen to find out if there is a different pin I can use to do a ZPC.

Tried calling dealer talked with him on phone and from what he sounds I am not happy. Also I want to go to dealer as last reserve.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Aug 19, 2024 at 9:56 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Last I saw a thread like this, I recall the errors started after an alignment shop attempted to do a zero point calibration. It seems the 4runner doesn’t like whatever system the shop uses.

Maybe confirm with them if they tried to reset zero point, and if so, if they can try it again. Maybe whatever they used isn’t on the latest software patch.

It’s worth a try to first ask if they attempted a zero point and have them check their software, because going the TSS route yourself seems to be a pain in the ass.

You may have already seen a zero point calibration thread or two on this forum. There seems to be good info there that might help you if you.

I’m curious, what did the dealer have to say? I’ve heard of dealers making all this sound to be a huge expensive and complicated issue. Which I don’t understand.

3. Aug 19, 2024 at 10:00 AM
    akki445

akki445 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Akhil
    Vehicle:
    2020 Trd off road

Well can't say for sure. Maybe something else. We are not allowed to say anything until we hook it up.
    Also can't quote a price without doing it.

4. Aug 19, 2024 at 10:36 AM
    2020 4Runner

2020 4Runner New Member

Member:
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner SR5, 2020 SR5 Tundra DC
    Don't trust the dealers. They will try to say it's something that failed so that they can sell parts. I had our 2020 on jacks and turning the wheels with the engine running while trying to diagnose a clunk. That's a nono as it set off the steering and and PCS warnings. I could not get them to clear and ended up taking it in. They tried to tell me that it gave a code for a faulty air bag sensor in the steering wheel. They said the part was $1200 and not covered by warranty and that they would have to order the part. They cleared the light but said it would come back on. Guess what....it never did. That was about 8 months ago.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2024
    icebear likes this.
  5. Aug 19, 2024 at 10:37 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I suppose that’s fair of them to say, but it’s annoying when somebody knows what the issue is and just wants a certain procedure done. I’d rather pay for a zero point, then dig further if my diagnosis was wrong. It’s basically what they would do anyway.

A good independent mechanic is worth their weight in gold, but can be hard to find. Any chance of an independent that specializes in toyotas around you? Maybe even a toyota mechanic taking side jobs? The effort to find one that can do this might be worth it, compared to getting yourself set up with techstream.

I think it’s doable to get techstream setup for yourself, if you’re good with computer stuff. I’d love to do that myself, but my eyes glaze over pretty quick trying to figure that stuff out lol.

6. Aug 19, 2024 at 11:43 AM
    RumHamRunner73

RumHamRunner73 Dead on with a zero

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Oakboro, N.C
    Vehicle:
    2022 4 Runner Limited. Blizzard Pearl
    This is good advice, I would take it a bit further and advise you to not trust any person in regards to having anything done to your 4Runner.

2020 4Runner[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 22, 2024 at 5:21 PM
    akki445

akki445 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Akhil
    Vehicle:
    2020 Trd off road
    The issue was resolved. It was my steering angle that was off did an alignment and everything is good

icebear likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top